How to set custom mp3s as Ringtones, Notification tones, or Alarm tones

Maximo

Reaction score
Very useful... thanks for the thread and for trying to help.

inline6power

Reaction score
i understand this works for the motorola but i cant figure out how to set these tones with the Eris? anyone?

kiteless

Reaction score
I was able to do this without the USB cable, but I had an mp3 already on the phone to use. However, I had to restart the phone to get it to prepare the SD and get the alarm app to recognize the new tone. Is there a way to get it to prepare the USB without restarting?

rawnog

Reaction score
I made some ringtones on ringdroid and they are in a folder on my SD card. I assigned them to a specific contact as soon as I made them, but for some reason that didn't work-those contacts are still assigned the default ringtone. When I go into contacts to assign a ringtone, I get the pop-up box saying "complete action using Android System or Zedge." How do I install a ringtone that's in my folder and not from one of the two options offered? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Skyscraper38

Reaction score
i cant find my SD card when its connected to my laptop. where do i go to find it? ive tried everything.

xXxsYpHeRxXx

Reaction score
i cant find my SD card when its connected to my laptop. where do i go to find it? ive tried everything.

Did you mount your SD card from your phone? Check your notifications when you connect the USB. Then if your CPU doesn't do an autostart asking you what you want to do. Go to my computer it should show up. "Removable disk"

Skyscraper38

Reaction score
That's probably why I didn't find it I was actually looking for something that said SD card.

astauber01

Reaction score
how to set individual ringtones/sms for individuale people.

You can set up individual text message tones in SMS Popup. I don't think you can just via the stock texting program.

SMS popup is an app you can find in the market.

download.
click notifications.
then contact notifications.
and add ringtone..having the ring extender app helps out with this also. :)

JMod

Reaction score
1. Attach the phone via USB to a computer.
2. Drop down the notification bar and tap "Select to copy files to/from your computer", then "Mount".
3. Create a folder on your SDCard called "Media"
4. Create 3 folders under the new "Media" folder, each called "Ringtones", "Notifications", and "Alarms".
5. Place the mp3 you want to use into the corresponding folder. (i.e. If I want to use an mp3 for an SMS Alert, I would put it under "Notifications". Or as a ringtone when someone calls me, under Ringtones, or as an alarm sound, under "Alarms", etc.)
6. Drop down the notification bar on the phone again and select "Turn off USB Storage", then "Turn off".
7. Wait for it to prepare the SDCard, then give it a few minutes to refresh all of the tones.
8. You're done.

Note: All folders are without quotes.

Awesome. I'd prefer to do it this way than have another app running just for this.

koalabear65

Reaction score
1. Attach the phone via USB to a computer.
2. Drop down the notification bar and tap "Select to copy files to/from your computer", then "Mount".
3. Create a folder on your SDCard called "Media"
4. Create 3 folders under the new "Media" folder, each called "Ringtones", "Notifications", and "Alarms".
5. Place the mp3 you want to use into the corresponding folder. (i.e. If I want to use an mp3 for an SMS Alert, I would put it under "Notifications". Or as a ringtone when someone calls me, under Ringtones, or as an alarm sound, under "Alarms", etc.)
6. Drop down the notification bar on the phone again and select "Turn off USB Storage", then "Turn off".
7. Wait for it to prepare the SDCard, then give it a few minutes to refresh all of the tones.
8. You're done.

Note: All folders are without quotes.

I am not finding step 2 on my droid x. Any help??? My notification bar just brings up "USB Connection. Select to manage media and data sync on your computer" and another box "Connection detected. Select to open Media Share."

Last edited:

ZBacks

Reaction score
Great post, should be a sticky!

I have a bunch of ringtones that I created/downloaded from audioko.com that I will now be able to put on my friends Droid!