How to root a Droid X (worked for me)

dgerej

Reaction score
How to root an updated Droid X

Here is a 12 step method I came up with after rooting my droid x today. A computer is not involved in any of the steps. Enjoy!

:painkiller:

1. Press the menu key on the bottom left part of your phone (looks like 4 squares)

2. Select settings

3. Select applications

4. Take a look at the unknown sources option and make sure the box is checked (this enables installation of non-Market applications)

5. Using your phone, press your finger on this link: Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: z4root.1.3.0.apk

5. Click the regular download square

6. Once the download is finished, press the menu key

7. Select notifications

8. Select the z4root icon and accept the installation

9. Select the apps launcher icon on the bottom of the screen (looks like a triangle in a circle)

10. Select the z4 app

11. Click the permanent root box (you will have the option to un-root or re-root once you have root)

12. If successful, the black screen with the moto M should come up. You may need to remove the battery to reboot your droid x. When the phone reboots, a prompt will ask you to allow superuser permissions. Congratulations, granting superuser permissions means you will now have root access. Superuser will now be available in your app library.

This method worked for me. My droid x had a 2.2.1 Android version and 2.3.340 System version. I would like to share my success with the forum. I do not take credit for the information shared. But I did take the time to put this 12 step process together for others to read.

I was once afraid to root. I was worried about bricking my phone after reading some of the threads on this site. Do your own homework. Rooting is quite safe. However, I will not be able to help you if you have any problems. With that said, here is what you will be getting yourself into:

Rooting is a process that allows users running the Android operating system to attain privileged control within Android's Linux subsystem, overcoming limitations that carriers and manufacturers put on such phones.

Comments and suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Edit: My Android version was 2.2.1 before rooting not 2.2. This has been corrected.

Tippin

Reaction score
What if im running android 2.2.1? I took an update recently.. I've had my phone for maybe a week so the update was probably something most people have already.

Sent from my DROIDX

the5barrons

Reaction score
What if im running android 2.2.1? I took an update recently.. I've had my phone for maybe a week so the update was probably something most people have already.

Sent from my DROIDX

Check your "about phone" under settings. If the version is .340...root away.

afripino

Reaction score
not working for me (on .340). Wheel is just churning away "running exploit in order to obtain root access". How long is it supposed to take? Going on 5 mins now.

Whoops!!! Never mind...works after rebooting the phone after install....duh!

Thanks!!!!!!

flashjh

Reaction score
not working for me (on .340). Wheel is just churning away "running exploit in order to obtain root access". How long is it supposed to take? Going on 5 mins now.

Whoops!!! Never mind...works after rebooting the phone after install....duh!

Thanks!!!!!!

It did the same thing for me. But after reboot, the phone wasn't rooted. I ran it again and it worked fine! Thanks.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

crzydjm

Reaction score
Holy merciful crap. You rule. FINALLY something worked.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
dgerej

dgerej

Reaction score
You rule. FINALLY something worked.
:woot:

I cant believe there is so much info available on the net but I couldn't find anything like this thread I made. I'm glad this thread proved useful.

joeeyd20

Reaction score
dancedroidthank you so much it worked grt witin 1 try ....

NEVER NEVER NEVER GIVE UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/I][/I][/I]

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I was JUST about to make a step by step Z4root guide as I've rooted or helped root 12 DXs, 2 Droid Pros, and 5 D2s with it! Excellent write up OP!! :dancedroid:
Edit: The "battery pull to reboot" in step 12 isn't needed.
DroidForums junkie!!

midgetgrimm

Reaction score
Worked like a charm. so what now? what am i supposed to be seeing here? seems the same as before.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It's supposed to look the same. Rooting only changes your access, not anything else. You'll need ROMs and themes for that :)

Worked like a charm. so what now? what am i supposed to be seeing here? seems the same as before.

DroidForums junkie!!

John Gi

Reaction score
This is the same thing for the
D2
Real easy right?

Well now that you are rooted you can install roms, take screen shots and whatnot lol

With the planes on the D2

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Exactly the same process :)

This is the same thing for the
D2
Real easy right?

Well now that you are rooted you can install roms, take screen shots and whatnot lol

With the planes on the D2

DroidForums junkie!!

bart2546

Reaction score
For sure worked, that's sn swathe write up. Now my question is, how do I go about deleting bloatware? I can't seem to find a way to give super user permissions to some apps.

Regards,
Brandon
Sent from my Verizon Droid X

LaxzBro

Reaction score
What exactly is a rom and what does it do?
What are the advantages of superuser access?
What is a .sbf file?

Lax bro,closet geek