How to obtain a full charge on the Incredible!

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
I'm sure someone has made a post about this but i think it would be easier and better to have its own thread that people can look at.

So to obtain a full charge and make your battery last longer follow these steps:

1. Plug in the charger and charge until the light turns green.

2. Unplug the charger

3. Turn off the phone

4. Plug the charger back in (red light will turn on again) and charge until its green.

5. Unplug the charger

6. Wait 5 minutes (with phone still off)

7. Plug the charger back in (red light will turn on once again) and charge until its green again.

8. You are ready to go with a FULL battery and can now turn on your phone.

Hopefully this method is only temporary, this should be something HTC looks into fixing very fast!

windstrings

Reaction score
thats crazy.. just install "batteryleft" or any app that gives you easy access to the mv reading of your battery and when it reaches 4220 or so "while still on the charger".. your done.

Immediately after taking off charge it should read above 4180 or so.

The fully charged light comes on when its not truely charged yet "as you know"... simply leaving it another couple of hours accomplishes the same thing as all the stuff your doing.

Battery protection in the Lithium ion cells prevent the charger from maintaining the same robust amperage input once the battery hits 4200mv or so... so charge rate drops at that point, but its still charging, just taking longer to finish the last bit!
Plus a slightly slower charge at the last is good for the cells and it equalizes the weaker cells and gives them time to come up to the same voltage as the stronger ones.

Once mv readings show 4225 or so, your charged.

Reaction score
thats crazy.. just install "batteryleft" or any app that gives you easy access to the mv reading of your battery and when it reaches 4220 or so "while still on the charger".. your done.

The fully charged light comes on when its not truely charged yet "as you know"... simply leaving it another couple of hours accomplishes the same thing as all the stuff your doing.

Battery protection in the Lithium ion cells prevent the charger from maintaining the same robust amperage input once the battery hits 4200mv or so... so charge rate drops at that point, but its still charging, just taking longer to finish the last bit!
Plus a slightly slower charge at the last is good for the cells and it equalizes the weaker cells and gives them time to come up to the same voltage as the stronger ones.

But what does this app do? Because I have been using the OPs method and its working great! Except I hate turning off the phone to charge it more.

With "battery left" what does it do? You can actually see a # value and then you know when its really done charging?

If so I dont think my phone fully charges unless its off.

thanks!!!

windstrings

Reaction score
With "battery left" what does it do? You can actually see a # value and then you know when its really done charging?

If so I dont think my phone fully charges unless its off.

thanks!!!

Unless you have an aftermarket charger thats limited on voltage, you should be able to charge your phone just fine with it on.

Battery left gives you nice readouts.. you can choose 3 to show on the widget so you can see at a glance.

MV is one you can show....

The main purpose of batteryleft is to remember and watch your habits and "learn". this is done during a cabibration process where you basically fully charge and cycle your battery till dead several times until it gets a fix and shows "accurate".
It attempts at a glance to show you how many hours is left till your battery is dead.

Unless your habits change dramatically, its pretty accurate and improving all the time.

Guchi

Reaction score
this just doesn't mare sense. the battery is just too small for the phone thats it. if that seems like its working for you go ahead but unless HTC or VZ says that there is a known issue with this i will just plug my phone while i'm in bed like i always have. good lookin out though

jasonb

Reaction score
i don't think this is correct, or i am just getting different results.

if i let it charge overnight and then wake up and take it off the charger the top 8-10% goes away pretty quickly. it'll be down to 99% within a few seconds and then it could be down to 92 within 15-30 minutes.

but if i take my phone off the charger within minutes of it being done charging, it is fully charged.

it seems as if once it reaches a full charge it just stops charging and actually starts very slowly draining. but if you take it off right away it seems fine.

rushmore

Reaction score
This thread OP sounds like something Jack Black would write in one of Tenacious D's albums ;)

Who the heck will go through that insane repetition to make a too small 1300mah battery last sugar pill longer? Inward singing is better :)

Jasonb, you may be on to something. The battery probably drains some before it gets triggered to recharge again. People are sensitive to the battery life, since the
water is at the rocks, so to speak.

Last edited:

windstrings

Reaction score

if i let it charge overnight and then wake up and take it off the charger the top 8-10% goes away pretty quickly. it'll be down to 99% within a few seconds and then it could be down to 92 within 15-30 minutes.

It shouldn't drain while left on unless your charger is funky.

the voltage drop your seeing when you pull it off the charger is normal.. if you were to put it back on, in a couple of minutes it would pop right back up...

Remember voltage is the "water pressure" that pushes the amperage "gallons" into the battery... once full.. the pressure is held until disconnected.
Once disconnected the nominal battery voltage is witnessed.... actually once a small load is placed on the battery you will see "nominal".

The float voltage is the voltage witnessed before removing it from the charge, the resting voltage is the immediate voltage witnessed with a totally full battery after disconnected from the charger. Once the battery gets used for a bit, that would be nominal voltage.

Basically the float voltage needs to show 4220 or so... maybe a little less if in a colder environment.... about 4180 "resting" when taken off.. once used only a few minutes, it will drop to more of a nominal voltage.

Expect your battery to die anywhere between 3250mv and 3400mv.. each battery is a little different based on maturity, room temp and especially load being placed on it before it dies.

jasonb

Reaction score

the voltage drop your seeing when you pull it off the charger is normal.. if you were to put it back on, in a couple of minutes it would pop right back up...

Remember voltage is the "water pressure" that pushes the amperage "gallons" into the battery... once full.. the pressure is held until disconnected.
Once disconnected the nominal battery voltage is witnessed.... actually once a small load is placed on the battery you will see "nominal".

The float voltage is the voltage witnessed before removing it from the charge, the resting voltage is the immediate voltage witnessed with a totally full battery after disconnected from the charger. Once the battery gets used for a bit, that would be nominal voltage.

Basically the float voltage needs to show 4220 or so... maybe a little less if in a colder environment.... about 4180 "resting" when taken off.. once used only a few minutes, it will drop to more of a nominal voltage.

Expect your battery to die anywhere between 3250mv and 3400mv.. each battery is a little different based on maturity, room temp and especially load being placed on it before it dies.

whats that have to do with the battery percentage dropping quicker between 90 and 100%.

i'm telling you, if i take it off the charger after being on it all night it will be to 99% within 10-15 seconds and may be down to 92 or so within a half hour. after that the battery drains much much much slower.

if i take it off the charger right after it's done then it'll stay at 100% for quite a while and then drop slowly like it should.

jamjr74

Reaction score

whats that have to do with the battery percentage dropping quicker between 90 and 100%.

i'm telling you, if i take it off the charger after being on it all night it will be to 99% within 10-15 seconds and may be down to 92 or so within a half hour. after that the battery drains much much much slower.

if i take it off the charger right after it's done then it'll stay at 100% for quite a while and then drop slowly like it should.

My battery drops the same way. Down to 92% within the first 1/2 hr and then drops much slower and is fine the rest of the day/

jasonb

Reaction score
i honestly think the people doing this charge, then recharge, then recharge again thing are going to cause more harm than good. i can't see it being good for the battery, and i may also not be helping the calibration.

BzB

Reaction score
i find the battery life scrutiny kind of moot. 1) the stock battery is only 1300 mah. 2) with normal usage (admittedly very ambiguous definition but lets say mobile network on / wireless sync on / wifi on / screen brightness at auto) you may need to recharge once by the end of a 12 hour day. 3) that's too many hoops to jump through to keep the battery topped up. 4) it's normal for a battery to charge to the max and then the charging circuit turn off the charge cycle for a period of time. during that time the battery will lose charge even though it says it's fully charged. if you unplug it at that point then your battery life will drop, but probably not a significant amount depending on how long the charge cycle was 'sleeping'.

i think all incredible users will be well served by getting at least a 1500mah battery. i've opted for the slim extended 1750mam battery myself and battery life is no longer on the radar as a concern. the small 1300mah battery is like putting a 10 gallon gas tank in a bugatti veyron. just like you couldn't drive that car like it was intended to be driven without stopping for gas every other day, same way you can't use the incredible like it was intended to be used with its small stock battery...unless you want to charge at least once during the day.

Last edited:
Reaction score

thanks! !!!!!!

barbee

Reaction score
i thought that "conditioning the battery" only aided in the battery meter being more accurate.

I have noticed a real drop in battery life with the INC from my droid. i could have no problem getting my Droid through a full day. The INC however will last from about 7:00am til 4pm or so.

Its not a big deal as i am in my service truck most of the day with a car charger at the ready.

I get that time with Toiteur (Twitter) set to update every 5 mins. and friend stream (Facebook only) to every 10 i think. also the weather is set to every hour with wifi and gps on.

I have also noticed that the battery meter turns to yellow a lot quicker than my droid did. i can get hours of use after it goes to yellow. whereas the droid would go from yellow to red fairly quicky.

OP
MiXoLoGiSt

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
On Incredibleforum.com this has seemed to be a working method. A lot of users report way better battery life so figured i would bring it over to these forums. Bottom line is if you don't think it will work don't use this method. If you think it will work or it does work for you then use it. I am not the one who came up with this nor do i use this method often but it has seemed to work for the few times i did it when i knew id need a little more of a charge.