Charging in Car doesn't provide enough juice?

OP
F

funkpod

Reaction score
HMm... VERY interesting theory w/ the heat..... when i drove TO the amusement park, it was the morning, full sun. when i drove home (albeit w/ bluetooth off), it was night... no sun. Hmm.....

So the problem might be the phone telling itself that the battery is overheating and the charging is slowed to compensate? interesting w/ the vents...

1. is there a website for the proclip that you guys use? do you recommend it? good clip? i'm using the Arkon windshield mount w/ the mega grip holder.
2. what is the scosche charger that you use that has the 1 amp power output?
3. i have a adapter to convert dc to ac, meaning i can take a regular wall outlet plug and plug it in my car and use that. do you think that will charge better?

chartle

Reaction score
HMm... VERY interesting theory w/ the heat..... when i drove TO the amusement park, it was the morning, full sun. when i drove home (albeit w/ bluetooth off), it was night... no sun. Hmm.....

So the problem might be the phone telling itself that the battery is overheating and the charging is slowed to compensate? interesting w/ the vents...

1. is there a website for the proclip that you guys use? do you recommend it? good clip? i'm using the Arkon windshield mount w/ the mega grip holder.
2. what is the scosche charger that you use that has the 1 amp power output?
3. i have a adapter to convert dc to ac, meaning i can take a regular wall outlet plug and plug it in my car and use that. do you think that will charge better?

For me when the battery got hot it just stopped charging.

For a USB charger I just found one at WalMart for around $6 in the automotive section it claims to put out 1A.

As for the inverter it would depend on the output. Also it would be very inefficient since its taking 12 volts DC sending it through some circuitry to make 120 volts AC and then your wall charger has to bring that down to 5 volts DC for the phone.

Last edited:
OP
F

funkpod

Reaction score
how does that walmart charger work for you?

Reaction score
is this an incredible problem Charging in Car doesn't provide enough juice? or is it the same problem for any droid with 2.2?

thanks

OP
F

funkpod

Reaction score
that's the question, right? i don't know what the problem is, all i know is that i don't like it. i will try a 1amp charger when i'm in the car next...

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Judging from the posts, the problem exist in all Android phones. I have seen posts from all types of users. I did several posts months ago testing several placements in the car and different chargers. I have a D1. It was running 2.1 at the time and 2.2 now. No real difference. I think trying to cram as many features as these phones have just creates heat when you are using a power hungry app like Nav.

I am a long way from an Android expert. I do not remember what the standard VZW charger puts out, but I think it is less than 1 amp. But, I am more well versed in batteries and charging than most. Anytime you increase battery charging rates, you create more heat. Charging heat IMHO is the biggest culprit in this issue. 1 amp may make the situation worse. On long trips I can extend my GPS run time by going on and off the charger. And when I am on a long trip... I shut the GPS off for part of the hours that I am on the interstate and I know I do not need to get off for several hours.

ryema54

Reaction score
I have the same problem, when my phone is plugged in via AUC cable the car stereo won't take the AUX signal. Works perfect when it's not charging. I don't have any solution, and it doesn't make sense. Worked ok before the update I think. Any ideas anyone?? Thanks!

I am not sure if I am having a similar problem, but I have noticed when I have my phone plugged in the car charger, the phone is reading it as it is plugged into the computer and it wont allow me to play any music. Anyone else having this problem? I dont know if it is because it is too much or too little power.