how to highlight / copy in gmail?

rastico

Reaction score
I can't figure out how to highlight and copy text in an email received via gmail. It won't let me select text. Is there an app that will let me do this?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
hit menu/more/select text touch the screen and it will turn pink whatever you are highlighting.

Just copy to clipboard and then when you want to paste it. Hold your finger on the message and choose paste...you're done

jdubbs23

Reaction score
I don't see the option under Menu->More for Select?

When I hit Menu->More I only get 2 choices, 'Report Spam' and 'Mute'.

OP
R

rastico

Reaction score
I also only get those 2 choices. The option is there if you sign into gmail through the browser but not if you use the gmail app. Anyone know of an easier work around.

jdubbs23

Reaction score
I found one way to do it...

Open up the actual keyboard, and then press and hold the shift key while you highlight the text with your finger on the screen.

OP
R

rastico

Reaction score

Open up the actual keyboard, and then press and hold the shift key while you highlight the text with your finger on the screen.

Thanks jdubbs

srothkin

Reaction score
I tried that and it seems to work if everything to select is in view on the screen. But if not, it doesn't seem to want to scroll. And it automatically copies the selected text to the clipboard as soon as you take your finger off the screen.

LordKastle

Reaction score
When you flip the qwerty out just guide it with the d-pad in the direction you want and hold it.

naman919

Reaction score

When you flip the qwerty out just guide it with the d-pad in the direction you want and hold it.

good work around, but hard to implement perfectly all the time.

Where is the ability to "select text"!?!?!?!? come on GOOGLE! hustle up on this one. :icon_evil:

skidoo

Reaction score
"Me too" post

Seriously, this is a significant productivity limitation. For hopefully obvious reasons.

I love my Gmail! So much that I want to copy-and-paste it! :)

RodgerRodger

Reaction score

None of these methods worked for me. What phones are you all on? Im on the Dinc, and there is NO menu>more>select in gmail, nor will it let me select by holding shift and highlighting. I have to copy the entire contents of an email string and even if this method had worked (let me repeat that it didnt) it still wouldnt have worked theway i need it to.

any other methods?

google is seriosly losing my faith after this and the ridiculous youtube upload disaster....

bmcelvan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
galaxy s4 mini
Okay took me a while to figure it out because all other methods failed for me too
I am able to hold down for two seconds and get the blue highlight bar...can you? I wasnt able to copy or paste but could highlight. At that point I have to hit the share button a choose a different program like Smemo or a text message (using samsung s4mini) but it got copied there where I was able to highlight AND copy