***HOW TO*** Flash Roms on the THUNDERBOLT

thrillhoV

Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
It's already been incorporated...I've been running the new radio and build for the last 2 weeks. If you're going to end up rooting anyway, you may as well root and update it yourself. It beats waiting on VZW. Being rooted, you'll always get the leaked builds before the ota ever comes. I don't think the ota would mess you up, but why wait when you have to wipe your phone to root? So you can get everything setup and not be able to backup because you're not rooted? May as well just do it, then get setup. I waited about a week to make sure I had no hardware issues, then it was game on...

Unfortunately, there's no way to root this device without loosing all data...

01b5s4

Reaction score
Okay, not sure if I should ask this here or not. I just rooted my phone last night, and just used rom manager to load the BAMF 1.63 remix rom. I still have all of my bloat ware on my phone, such as blockbuster, I thought flashing the rom would get rid of that?

crazymexicazn

Reaction score
with the thunderbolt, do i need any of these radio files (or any additional files since it is 4G) i am hearing some people discussing prior to downloading and installing through ROM manager? and if so where can i find these files and make sure they are compatible with the ROM i want to install? Or will ROM manager already have these files included in the download and just flash through them (i have pro version)?

KennyBerndt

Reaction score
Trying to create my first backup.....

Getting stuck trying to backup my fresh 1 day old TB. Rooted last night using this method.
[Procedure] How to Root the Thunderbolt with ADB (Windows) - Android Forums
The root worked just fine, as I can use several apps (wireless tether, shoot me) that require root.

So when I try to get into create a backup using the ROM manager and manual procedure I get the following

PG05DIAG.ZIP
NO IMAGE
PG05DIAG.NBH
NO IMAGE OR WRONG IMAGE
LOADIN PG05IMG

Then it shows the bar on the right that changes colors as it does its thing.....

HELP

Red261

Reaction score
It says to only install roms on a full battery. What is the reason for this? I am coming from a Droid x and installed roms on around half battery. Is there a reason it is OK for the x, but not the tb

OP
sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
It says to only install roms on a full battery. What is the reason for this? I am coming from a Droid x and installed roms on around half battery. Is there a reason it is OK for the x, but not the tb

I say full battery because when you're flashing roms, the last thing you want is for your battery to die in the middle of the process. I once tried to restore a backup on my d1 after a full wipe and nearly drained the battery trying to fix it. That was after starting with a full charge. That ended up a problem with my recovery. Stuff happens, it's not always our fault, but it is up to us whether we're prepared for it or not. I don't know about you, but I like to be prepared. It only takes a short while to charge it... Why not play it safe?

One other thing to consider is the accuracy of your battery percentages. If you flash with 40%, is it 40%? Or 20%? Food for thought...

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score

I say full battery because when you're flashing roms, the last thing you want is for your battery to die in the middle of the process. I once tried to restore a backup on my d1 after a full wipe and nearly drained the battery trying to fix it. That was after starting with a full charge. That ended up a problem with my recovery. Stuff happens, it's not always our fault, but it is up to us whether we're prepared for it or not. I don't know about you, but I like to be prepared. It only takes a short while to charge it... Why not play it safe?

One other thing to consider is the accuracy of your battery percentages. If you flash with 40%, is it 40%? Or 20%? Food for thought...

Yes! Always have 80% + on battery when flashing a ROM.

You may ask why, but better safe then sorry.

dbelshe

Reaction score
I need a little help. Im attempting to flash DasBamf 2.0 and the GB radio. I know there is discussion on XDA about the radio, but it sounds like most people are doing ok with it, besides, I have insurance. My problem is, that after I flashed the rom (backedup and wiped first), then flashed the radio. when it boots up I dont have any service, so ultimately get a few FC's because I assume the apps are looking for an internet connection. I have tried reflashing both rom and radio with no luck, Im in the process of restoring my backup just be sure its not a hardware or network issue. Anybody have any advice?

wooddale

Reaction score
I need a little help. Im attempting to flash DasBamf 2.0 and the GB radio. I know there is discussion on XDA about the radio, but it sounds like most people are doing ok with it, besides, I have insurance. My problem is, that after I flashed the rom (backedup and wiped first), then flashed the radio. when it boots up I dont have any service, so ultimately get a few FC's because I assume the apps are looking for an internet connection. I have tried reflashing both rom and radio with no luck, Im in the process of restoring my backup just be sure its not a hardware or network issue. Anybody have any advice?
Did you have any luck getting back I would have done the same thing if I didnt read about flashing a rom first. I thought the radio was a full rom and then you flashed what you want from there. It was kind of like that with the DX with some roms.

dbelshe

Reaction score
I may have figured it out, after re-read the files I have been downloading, it turned out I was downloading the "froyo" versions and nothe "gingerbread" version, so Im trying it now.

Edit: yep, if would learn to scroll and read all the way to the bottom. There is a GB rom, I flashed it and now all is well.

wooddale

Reaction score
I may have figured it out, after re-read the files I have been downloading, it turned out I was downloading the "froyo" versions and nothe "gingerbread" version, so Im trying it now.

Edit: yep, if would learn to scroll and read all the way to the bottom. There is a GB rom, I flashed it and now all is well.

Glad you voter done

mamawings

Reaction score
Hi. I just successfully rooted my HTC Thunderbolt using an adb method. I have Titanium Premium and ROM Manager Premium installed. I want to install a custom ROM but keep running into the lack of phone service problem after installing. I have tried different versions of CyanogenMod. I would like to try a Gingerbread but keep seeing words like "leaked version of Radio" and don't understand what that means. Could you please tell me how to do this?
Thanks so much.

ionide

Reaction score
Hi. I just successfully rooted my HTC Thunderbolt using an adb method. I have Titanium Premium and ROM Manager Premium installed. I want to install a custom ROM but keep running into the lack of phone service problem after installing. I have tried different versions of CyanogenMod. I would like to try a Gingerbread but keep seeing words like "leaked version of Radio" and don't understand what that means. Could you please tell me how to do this?
Thanks so much.

Yep, you need to flash not only a Rom but a radio as well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums