Flashing a ROM on a Droid 1 - Best Practices

EVSP

Reaction score
Ok guidot... question... this newbie wants to play around with other roms now. :) so I have to do this process each time I want to flash a new rom? Is it possible to have several roms installed on my SD card and boot into them as I see fit? I understand I have to wipe data before booting into a new rom, is that right? If i find a few roms I like, can I keep them on my SD card as "romnamehere.zip"? and after I do a backup/wipe, I could boot into recovery and select the .zip I want? Am I understanding that correctly? And I'm not sure if i know what the difference is between doing a nandroid backup and backing up with titanium... when I tried to do a restore through titanium, it didn't really do anything (that I could tell)... I ended up going back to the market myself and reinstalling all my apps that I had had previously before rooting/flashing liquid smooth 3.0. Ugh. :-D

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok guidot... question... this newbie wants to play around with other roms now. :) so I have to do this process each time I want to flash a new rom? Is it possible to have several roms installed on my SD card and boot into them as I see fit? I understand I have to wipe data before booting into a new rom, is that right? If i find a few roms I like, can I keep them on my SD card as "romnamehere.zip"? and after I do a backup/wipe, I could boot into recovery and select the .zip I want? Am I understanding that correctly? And I'm not sure if i know what the difference is between doing a nandroid backup and backing up with titanium... when I tried to do a restore through titanium, it didn't really do anything (that I could tell)... I ended up going back to the market myself and reinstalling all my apps that I had had previously before rooting/flashing liquid smooth 3.0. Ugh. :-D

If you look at my signature you will find link number 2 to be all you need. :D

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

What you described will work! Another possibility-- install a rom, make a backup, wipe(data and cache) and install a different rom, make a backup. Repeat for as many roms as you want. When you want to swap simply restore the backup. You may need to update any app that received an update. When you are ready to swap make a new back delete the old and you should be fine.

Hope this is helpful.
Mike

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Well, I know this thread is totally old; however in the spirit of trying to keep the info for the A855 as up-to-date as possible; especially considering the last page's posts. I have rewritten this guide at my site. I took the time (2012-0306) to make sure it al works perfectly. Sorry guidot, I am trying to steal your thunder(and yes I removed the cussing).

How to install a Custom ROM-A855

IMHO, the link above will give anyone the best way to flash a custom rom to your Motorola A855 (Droid 1) phone.

good luck