Flashing a ROM on a Droid 1 - Best Practices

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I installed RM so that I could help with rescue squad issues. However, I keep SPR flashed.
Open RM scroll to the bottom and tap the Flash Alternate Recovery tab. This will switch to SPR.

Download the theme to your computer and rename to "update.zip" Make sure that there is only one ".zip" extension. Mount your phone to your computer. If there you have an update.zip file already on the SD card delete it or remane it then drag and drop the update.zip (theme you just renamed) to the root of your SD card.

Unmount, boot into recovery (press and hold "X" and power). Use the volume key to move up/down and select make/restore a backup, press the camera key, select make a advanced nandroid backup, press the camera key, select name the backup, press the camera key.

Open the sider and enter the name. When you are finished press the return key and select backup press camera

Select install do both the first will take a second the second (decepriated) a little longer.

use the power button to go back and select reboot

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

JustisLewis

Reaction score
I have to ask, what's with the wipe data/cache three times thing? When you format it, everything is erased. Why does erasing three times do anything. I mean you can't get any emptier than empty lol

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't have to do it three times. Just once.

I'll edit that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
This post is actually a joke!

No guidot, you are totally wrong on this. Don't you know that there it is a very scientific and methodoligically proven fact that there is a formula that REQUIRES a certain amount of wrangling, data, cache, system, boot, and butt wipes? I don't have the link to it at this time, but it REALLY matters how many times you wipe your phone based on what rom you're coming from, what rom you're going to, and whether you're using rom manager, clockworkmod, SPRecovery, or even the latest experimental ZRRecovery.

Example, if you're coming from stock to UD, you have to wipe data 2x's, cache 3x's if you do so with SPRecovery, if you use Rom manager you wipe system 1x, cache 2x, data 3x and your butt once with your phone held just so in your right hand.:)

OK, In all seriousness, guidot is right. One wipe of data/cache is all you really need inbetween roms.

Last edited:

DroidLvr73

Reaction score
nice post guidot, ty for taking time to write it up. just used Motocache's root method and am looking into ROMS now so this definitely will help me out once I decide. leaning towards BB or PE 4.1 currently. Anyway, thanks again.

gmvirtual

Reaction score
Fantastic post! Question- is the AFV the nandroid backup app??? Its the only one in the market when I search nandroid.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No.

America's Funniest Videos?

Clockwork mod can be flashed using rom manager.

Sprecovery can be flashed using link one in my signature.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

gmvirtual

Reaction score
Ok at the risk of sounding stupid- here I go......flashing is a term reminds me of old creepy men in trench coats...
So when u say flash I obviously need to do something but the something before that something is what I'm missing! Ha sorry gotta be silly! So I've recently rooted and have titanium back up and setcpu and that's where this noob's knowledge stops. I want to 'flash' a new theme but gotta do nandroid back up first? Right? Where/how do I get what I need for that? ;-)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Ok at the risk of sounding stupid- here I go......flashing is a term reminds me of old creepy men in trench coats...
So when u say flash I obviously need to do something but the something before that something is what I'm missing! Ha sorry gotta be silly! So I've recently rooted and have titanium back up and setcpu and that's where this noob's knowledge stops. I want to 'flash' a new theme but gotta do nandroid back up first? Right? Where/how do I get what I need for that? ;-)

Wait! Stop! The methods outlined in this guide do NOT apply to the Droid 2/A955 phone! guidot missed that part since he was posting via the DF app. Go to the Droid 2 section of this forum site to get the info you need.

good luck

gmvirtual

Reaction score
eeek! so glad I checked the full thread before I tried it!! thanks for the warning! hoping to backup and try a new rom today!

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Yeah this is another reason I wish the powers that be would clean up this whole rescue squad section of this site . . . .

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bumpity Bump for Sticky (?) and RZR flashing guide!

Thanks GirLuvsDroid!