***HOW TO*** Flash Roms on the THUNDERBOLT

OP
sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Thanks ill give it all a try. What about my kernel? If I just keep the Rom, could I just flash that back to stock. And could this be the prob. For the md5 mix up?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

No, it sounds like a recovery issue. Recovery is telling you that backup is corrupted. The question is, is it? Or is recovery not reading it right? That's why I said to try a different backup then reinstall recovery if that doesn't work. Of course, that's just my recommendation.

dhaymond

Reaction score
I only had the one backup with the stock kernel, so I tried as you stated and downloaded another Rom and than did a back up of that one and than another and yes both of those worked but still the other did not. But that one that didn't was my only with both stock Rom and kernels. I'm not screws am I? And wont need it to go back to those and do any OTAs?

OP
sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
I only had the one backup with the stock kernel, so I tried as you stated and downloaded another Rom and than did a back up of that one and than another and yes both of those worked but still the other did not. But that one that didn't was my only with both stock Rom and kernels. I'm not screws am I? And wont need it to go back to those and do any OTAs?

There's an app in the market called "android file verifier". Download that, use its file browser to go to sdcard/clockworkmod/backups and open your backup that isn't working. You will see a file inside that mentions md5 in It's name. Longpress that file then select verify nandroid backup (or something like it) and see what it says. It will check your backup to see if its corrupted or not.

As for ota's, you should always unroot before accepting one. Honestly though, once rooted there's no reason to accept an ota anyway, you can be running it when It's leaked long before it goes ota!

OP
sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Reaction score

If you really need to get back to stock, you can always flash an ruu, so no...you're not screwed. So long as you can get into hboot, you're not screwed! At least you have a Rom and can change it, and know your new backups work. You definitely made the right call asking for help instead of trying to wing it. That's when the real accidents happen! Lol

dhaymond

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate your time in this. ;-)

OP
sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
ROM manager now wipes dalvik-cache. I'll update the op after I get a chance to try it.

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk

gary73

Reaction score
First thanks worked clean. Should we do same process when going to stock

OP
sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
First thanks worked clean. Should we do same process when going to stock

By "going to stock" do you mean unroot back to stock with s-on? Or load a stock based rooted Rom? I need to know what exactly you're trying to do before I can really answer.

Glad it was helpful to you...

OP
sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Updated

OP updated to include Rom Manager steps. ROM Manager is an excellent tool now that it wipes Dalvik Cache :icon_ banana:

gary73

Reaction score
No just go to stock rooted

OP
sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
No just go to stock rooted

A Rom is a Rom is a Rom. Unless the dev gives special instructions, it should work the same. Just pay attention, some stock rooted roms are in ruu's and need flashed with hboot. Bottom line, just read the op of the thread the Rom is in and ask questions if you're unsure.

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk

gary73

Reaction score
Thank you sir

thrillhoV

Reaction score
dumb question I am sure... 99% sure I know the answer, but just making sure. Do you need to Root the phone before doing this, or does the factory unlocked bootloader and new ROM do it for you from stock?

OP
sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
dumb question I am sure... 99% sure I know the answer, but just making sure. Do you need to Root the phone before doing this, or does the factory unlocked bootloader and new ROM do it for you from stock?

You need to root...lol. The bootloader is far from "factory unlocked". The thunderbolt has a locked bootloader from the factory. The current rooting method replaces the bootloader with one that will accept unsigned files. Normally, it checks the signature of the Rom and recovery at each boot. The good news it that the bootloader is not encrypted like MOTO's, allowing us to replace it (thanks to the geniuses at Team AndIRC). If you are going to root, I recommend using the version 2.5 method released by jcase. You can find it on AndroidPolice.com. All the automated methods are based on it anyway, and if something goes wrong its harder to diagnose.

Good luck!