***HOW TO*** Flash Roms on the THUNDERBOLT

Hateslinger

Reaction score
I would disagree. As long as you can get into recovery you should be good. I had a boot loop that I thought screwed me because I couldn't get into recovery. I did send hard reset which got me into it and it was easy to load my back up from there.

Sent from my rooted Thunderbolt, VirusROM AirborneTB

OP
sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
I would disagree. As long as you can get into recovery you should be good. I had a boot loop that I thought screwed me because I couldn't get into recovery. I did send hard reset which got me into it and it was easy to load my back up from there.

Sent from my rooted Thunderbolt, VirusROM AirborneTB

The reason I said hboot is because it's the very first layer you could say you'll encounter. Of course you're good if you can get to recovery! I'm saying that if for some reason you can't get to recovery either (no idea when that would happen but bear with me) you can always flash an ruu and you're good. If you are using a device with a bootloader that's been unlocked, it's very hard to mess it up. Software can almost always just be replaced.

I'm just saying you have a couple layers of fail-safes. Recovery and hboot. I personally have never broken something on Android I couldn't fix. The only times I've heard of devices getting bricked is unplugging while flashing an sbf on a MOTO phone. Everything MOTO has released post d1 is more easily bricked because of the bootloader encryption. At least as I understand it...but I haven't had to worry about that going from d1 to thunderbolt.

Last edited:

dark juggalo

Reaction score
ok..i have a question..after installing the rom-ive noticed mention of deleting the folder PG051.zip from the sd card...does that apply to the rom folder as well? and for that matter how about the update.zip as well?

OP
sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
ok..i have a question..after installing the rom-ive noticed mention of deleting the folder PG051.zip from the sd card...does that apply to the rom folder as well? and for that matter how about the update.zip as well?

You should remove or rename the pg file because if you don't your phone is going to want to flash it every time you're in hboot. I make sure I keep no pg files on my SD, and I don't keep any named just update.zip either (partially because you don't need to rename anything to update.zip). You don't need to delete any roms or kernels etc from your SD card, but I keep mine organized with a folder for roms and and another for kernels.

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk

dark juggalo

Reaction score

You should remove or rename the pg file because if you don't your phone is going to want to flash it every time you're in hboot. I make sure I keep no pg files on my SD, and I don't keep any named just update.zip either (partially because you don't need to rename anything to update.zip). You don't need to delete any roms or kernels etc from your SD card, but I keep mine organized with a folder for roms and and another for kernels.

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk
Ty for the info

that.one.yellow.kid

Reaction score
How do I delete the cache and everything else. I tried finding it on Rom manager but I have no idea how to do it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
How do I delete the cache and everything else. I tried finding it on Rom manager but I have no idea how to do it.

Boot into clockworkmod recovery like I instructed in the original post. If you follow my instructions, It's super easy.

that.one.yellow.kid

Reaction score
Thank you. Just making sure I know what I'm gonna so I dont mess up

dhaymond

Reaction score
I tried to restore a back up of my stock rom I made, but it stated; it can't because a MD5 file was missing. Help... Did I do something?

OP
sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
I tried to restore a back up of my stock rom I made, but it stated; it can't because a MD5 file was missing. Help... Did I do something?

Was your battery above 70%? Did you make the backup from Rom manager? Or from recovery? If it was from Rom manager, try one from recovery. Also, try wiping your dalvik cache then restoring your backup. That may do it. If not, install a Rom so that you don't get yourself stuck in recovery too long, charge your phone, then we can go from there.

dhaymond

Reaction score
Yes I did have a full battery, and yes I did do it from rom manager. Ill back up now through recovery, thanks I'll check back after I charge my phone again.

dhaymond

Reaction score
Oh...but how would I for back to stock if I believe I'm on das B Rom?

dhaymond

Reaction score
I wiped like you advised and tried again, and it still stated md5 mismatch. I've rooted my Droid 1, X and fascinate, but never had this prob.

OP
sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
I wiped like you advised and tried again, and it still stated md5 mismatch. I've rooted my Droid 1, X and fascinate, but never had this prob.

Have you tried any other backups? I would try a different one first. If that doesn't work, you may need to re-install CWM Recovery. To do that load a rom, any rom. Open rom manager, go to Menu/settings/and check "erase recovery." Then hit the back button and select Menu/Clear download cache. Then flash clockwork recovery 3 times in a row, boot into recovery, make a backup, and try to restore your problem backup again. This was an early problem with cw on the thunderbolt but should be fixed now. I don't know if the radio update could mess you up either, if this doesn't work, I'd contact the rescue squad. At least you know you can still load a rom, lets hope you can still get your backup. If not though, this should fix you for future use. If you really need to have a stock rom and we can't get your backup to work, I think I can point you toward a stock rom.

Good luck, and I hope this helps...

Last edited:

dhaymond

Reaction score
Thanks ill give it all a try. What about my kernel? If I just keep the Rom, could I just flash that back to stock. And could this be the prob. For the md5 mix up?