How to exclude Album Art from Gallery app?

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
this is what i would do if i was experiencing your problem:
search through my entire sdcard for .nomedia

I have found other instances of .nomedia, but they are in app-related directories (like "/sdcard/data/beautifulwidgets/wskins" or "/sdcard/launcherpro_backup"). I don't think I want to touch those, right?

remove .thumbnails and maybe even .video_thumbnails from /sdcard/DCIM as well as 100ANDRO (if you have it)

How do I do this? I don't see/know a way to search for these filetypes. Do I need an app to view these (like I had to install to find the .nomedia instances)? I'm not that adept at Android yet, and hitting the search button in file manager didn't let me search by filetype.

Is there a way I can just repair or reinstall the Gallery (from apk or something)? Again, I'm trying to avoid a factory reset.

those are actually folders. the easiest way to get rid of them is to mount your phone on your computer and just delete like that

touching the other .nomedia files will not break anything. itll just make the files exposed in the gallery. but maybe deleting them if the previous steps didnt work might fix it

and yes. you are able to uninstall/reinstall gallery. but you will either need adb or some kind of root explorer app as well as a copy of the rom on you device

OP
B

BMWBig6

Reaction score
Gallery still refuses to open. :(

try booting into recovery and clearing CACHE only

When you say "clearing CACHE only" do you mean use the "Wipe cache partition" selection available from the recovery menu? Or something else?

Will there be any ill side effect (perhaps to other apps) by doing this? I really don't want to brick my phone.

EDIT: I just noticed an error message at the bottom of my recovery menu:
"E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command"

What does this mean, and is it my problem?

OP
B

BMWBig6

Reaction score
I just ran "Wipe cache partition" and no improvement. What next? I found the 2.2 gallery APK here, can I just reinstall it? Will this overwrite (repair) the current corrupted instance of Gallery? Or will it just create a 2nd instance?

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
EDIT: I just noticed an error message at the bottom of my recovery menu:
"E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command"

What does this mean, and is it my problem?

not sure, but it could be your problem... how did you end up wiping?

I just ran "Wipe cache partition" and no improvement. What next? I found the 2.2 gallery APK here, can I just reinstall it? Will this overwrite (repair) the current corrupted instance of Gallery? Or will it just create a 2nd instance?

in my opinion removing gallery and reinstalling it will do nothing. but it wouldnt hurt to try. i wouldnt use that gallery, i would pull it out of the rom you currently use

if that still doesnt resolve your issue, i would reflash your rom without doing a wipe. everything will remain the same, though you will have to resign into your google account, but thats it

if THAT doesnt fix it, im lost. id post a new topic and ask

OP
B

BMWBig6

Reaction score
OMG, I fixed it! I installed a 3rd party app (3D Gallery), opened and played around with it a few times, and on a whim went back to the stock Android Gallery app and it magically resumed working again!

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OMG, I fixed it! I installed a 3rd party app (3D Gallery), opened and played around with it a few times, and on a whim went back to the stock Android Gallery app and it magically resumed working again!

great! i was worried youd have to wipe...
oddly i thought of downloading another gallery app and seeing if it fixes it, but never suggested it because why would that work? but it guess that was the solution:)

glad you got it resolved

edit: wish i had you run a logcat to see what the problem was

Last edited:
OP
B

BMWBig6

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions along the way (and no hard feelings about .nomedia btw, I know you didn't mean for it to blow up my Gallery LOL).

Can you recommend a good logcat that would have captured relevant data? I can eff up my gallery again in the name of science now that I know the solution (push my luck?).

And now I'm back to square one again (feels good though!). At the risk of breaking something else, is there another SAFE way to hide album art imagery from being indexed by the Gallery? Embedding every album art as ID3 tag info is not really practical at this point.

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
the android sdk includes logcat

but heres a nice app that eliminates the need for that
aLogcat

as for the images, here is an application to hide different media
Vaulty

but unfortunately that will make the album art not display in the music player.
also, i believe i read that .nomedia hides music and videos as well. so that might not be what were looking for in the first place

OP
B

BMWBig6

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations, I will check them out!

fredphoesh

Reaction score
WOW, i was just following this and researching the issue, and Im shocked Google have not yet been able to have Album Art be excluded from the gallery!
Poor show guys, seems pretty obvious to most users.

Natey2

Reaction score
Some Android bugs never get fixed.

Last edited: