[How-To] DIY SoftKeys Mods

Shibbdroid

Reaction score
Well after a full day of working on this I finally have a lot of things modified. I have my signal bars and battery changed now and I'm looking into changing a few more things.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
CJM

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
You've come a long way, looks good. SO, when can we expect your 1st theme to be released? Any eta? lol just kidding

Shibbdroid

Reaction score
Ha I don't think I'll ever release a theme. It takes a long time to do all this work I'll just have fun making my phone my own. I can't thank you enough for helping me get rolling on this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's weird. If you want, post it or pm it to me & I'll take a look at it.

I was going to post a link for some info on xml editing, but my Internet connection just crapped out. The name of the thread is, "So you want to edit xml's or more...an ADB.APK Manager How-To (Basics)", here on DF. It's in the Droid theming> Droid themers> Team inversion conversion section. A very smart individual wrote it. ;)

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus

HA!... I dunno

OP
CJM

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
You're so modest. While I have your attention, can you offer any insight as to how to take the transparency out of the soft keys until they are pressed? Here's a link saying how: xda-developers - View Single Post - [SOFTKEYS] Softkey Collection [GSM/LTE] [Update 24-01] Sounds like they are saying it needs to be done while the rom is being built. Just wondered if you came across this & if its possible to do after the fact. I'm still reading, but thought I'd ask you. They aslo think the background can be changed in the navigation_bar.xml: xda-developers - View Single Post - [SOFTKEYS] Softkey Collection [GSM/LTE] [Update 24-01]

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
yeah that navigation bar and I are going to be having our second go round here this evening...lol let me look at that xda thing right quick.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OK, reading that XDA post, Id say you could more than likely get into the smali and change that .6f to something else and make it less transparent. However!, I mistakenly found an easier way when me and the navigation bar had our first brew ha ha. I had no idea why until you posted that right there but, my softkey buttons are a GLARINGly bright white right now. I reversed all my smali edits and all that remained when i installed this was that I changed the background call in navigation from #ff000000 to #00000000 (that was my weak attempt at making the background transparent.. ill figure it out) but, it did brighten up those keys so it definately did something. As a side effect, and, again, ill be able to explain this better once i get in there and, in turn, understand it better, but, once you make that edit, on my phone, the center soft key was completely highlighted in blue. I made the blue highlight transparent and its gone but, as you know, this makes it have no color effect when you push it. Also, another side effect.. you know when you open the camera and instead of the normal soft key icons, you get the three dots and you have no idea which one to push and always hit the wrong one? Well, those are now permanently visible in the center of each softkey.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
And because i typed that for the public to read, I just checked my phone and those dots in the center are no longer there...lol Go figure.

OK, had to look at the smali...

heres the line as it reads in smali...

.field final BUTTON_QUIESCENT_ALPHA:F

Im unsure how to change that but Id say it has to do with the word ALPHA and changing it to something else. Ill see if I can find out how wrong I am as the day goes on.

Last edited:
OP
CJM

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
And because i typed that for the public to read, I just checked my phone and those dots in the center are no longer there...lol Go figure.

Gotta love it when that happens. But you're safe here, I hold off the trolls for ya.

And thanks for the updated info

OP
CJM

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
I started looking for that ".field final BUTTON_QUIESCENT_ALPHA:F", but haven't found it yet. I went to systemui.apk/res/smali/com/android/systemui/statusbar/phone & saw those NavigationBarView.smali, view$1.smali & view$2.smali. Did a control+F to find it, but no luck. Am I in the right place?

Reaction score
CJM, 1st, thanks for pointing me over here.

2nd, I could be mistaken, but I am under the assumption he was in the framework-res.apk somewhere?

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Noope, systemui..... smali>com>android>systemui>statusbar>policy KeyButtonView.smali line 7 if using Notepad++

Reaction score
...Oh. as I was. Lol! Thanks, xkape! Appologies. I must have missed something along the way.

*Edited - fatfingered my phone and sent it without any typing. Lol

Here
is
my
five
lines. ( "King of the Self-Edit'" )

Last edited:
Reaction score
So is it possible to make a flashable zip to accomplish this and have the softkeys where the are at and adjust it all the way to 0% opacity if one chooses? (Clear as mud? Lol)

Here
is
my
five
lines. ( "King of the Self-Edit'" )