How to decide which phone?

PapaDeuce

Reaction score
I'm headed out in a few hours to buy a new phone. Getting rid of my BB Storm.

The sales guy I spoke to last night seemed to be trying to steer me away from an Adroid OS phone, but maybe that was just my wrong perception.

Here is what I want / need.

At least 8gb storage.
A real keyboard might be nice.... better than the storm, for sure.
I will use it mostly for these things:
1. Calls - about 40 a month
2. Selected apps
3. Facebook maybe once or twice a day..
4. Youtube ( watching and uploading )
5. Occasional CASUAL gaming
6. iTouch replacement, really, as I lost mine.

Photos are not a bug deal.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the moto droid has all of these features + more!!! the android platform is very open - meaning you can do really what you want with it! try out the droid or talk to any of your friends that have one and you wont be disappointed!!

korp

Reaction score
the moto droid has all of these features + more!!! the android platform is very open - meaning you can do really what you want with it! try out the droid or talk to any of your friends that have one and you wont be disappointed!!
Yup .... if you want a physical keyboard I believe the Moto Droid and Devour are the only two Android devices with a keyboard on Verizon ... the Pre Plus is probably not bad either. The Droid is pretty good though and still what I would pick out of the current options.

I had the Storm 1 as well .... worked ok but the Droid trumps it easily.

OP
P

PapaDeuce

Reaction score

I would love to, but nobody I know has one ( that I know of )

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm headed out in a few hours to buy a new phone. Getting rid of my BB Storm.

The sales guy I spoke to last night seemed to be trying to steer me away from an Adroid OS phone, but maybe that was just my wrong perception.

Here is what I want / need.

At least 8gb storage.
A real keyboard might be nice.... better than the storm, for sure.
I will use it mostly for these things:
1. Calls - about 40 a month
2. Selected apps
3. Facebook maybe once or twice a day..
4. Youtube ( watching and uploading )
5. Occasional CASUAL gaming
6. iTouch replacement, really, as I lost mine.

Photos are not a bug deal.

There are a variety of phones that could meet the requirements above. On the Verizon network I can think of at least four: the Droid, the Devour, the Ominia II, and the Palm Pre Plus. You won't find many people here suggesting anything but the Droid, of course. Before you take the plunge, however, ask yourself about the form factors of the various devices. The Droid is the largest and heaviest of the four above. Some people find that to be a plus, others a minus.

Then ask yourself how you feel about learning the complexities of the phone and customizing it to suit your purposes. The Droid provides by far the greatest flexibility of the phones VZW offers, but if you're not into finding apps that make it work the way you prefer, that's hardly a plus.

Contrary to what you might hear, the Droid doesn't require constant tinkering and maintenance. But it is, after all, a computer with phone functionality, not the other way around. If it's a bother to keep track of app updates and a chore to find a music player that suits you, then the Droid is probably not for you.

I think it's a shame that a Verizon salesperson would try to steer you away from an android phone, but it's probably not surprising that folks who have to deal with customers with little or no knowledge of the device's features or even a middling level of computer literacy would develop such an attitude.