[HOW-TO] Boot Animations 101

azr2nut

Reaction score
Where is /data/local folder?

I have a R2D2 Droid 2 (Android 2.2) I just rooted yesterday.

I can't see the /data/local folder, all I see is the /system/media folder. Is the /data/local folder starting at the root, or is it in another folder?

OP
Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score

I can't see the /data/local folder, all I see is the /system/media folder. Is the /data/local folder starting at the root, or is it in another folder?

Should be in root. If nothing else, rename the original in system/media and put custom one there.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

djakrse

Reaction score

You wont see /data contents without an su-enabled file explorer. Root Explorer or the free one Super File Manager (something like that) will work.

EDIT I found a SFM that didn't appear to be the right one, but here's a Super Manager that might be it. http://www.appbrain.com/app/super-manager/gpc.myweb.hinet.net.TaskManager

Last edited:

tehashi

Reaction score
OK i give, i've gone to make one exactly as you've noted. I even tested it on the boot animation preview app i found on the XDA forums, but whenever i put it into either my data/local or system/media folders the phone only shows a blank screen during boot.

I have a Droid X so, the screen size isn't an issue and here's the desc.txt;

Code:
304 429 24

p 0 6 part0

here's a link to my animation, i tried uploading but it failed due to the size i think.
VBbootanimation.zip

I tried setting up the preview program to put the animation directly to the phone, but i have absolutely no experience with the android sdk and have no idea what they meant by adding it to the PATH environment or something. (i tried googeling and got no useful help)

Any thoughts on what i am doing wrong?

OP
Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score
OK i give, i've gone to make one exactly as you've noted. I even tested it on the boot animation preview app i found on the XDA forums, but whenever i put it into either my data/local or system/media folders the phone only shows a blank screen during boot.

I have a Droid X so, the screen size isn't an issue and here's the desc.txt;

Code:
304 429 24

p 0 6 part0

here's a link to my animation, i tried uploading but it failed due to the size i think.
VBbootanimation.zip

I tried setting up the preview program to put the animation directly to the phone, but i have absolutely no experience with the android sdk and have no idea what they meant by adding it to the PATH environment or something. (i tried googeling and got no useful help)

Any thoughts on what i am doing wrong?

Downloading now, will take a look and let you know.

tehashi

Reaction score
Those are the same permissions that the stock bootanimation file, thought it'd work. i just turned them all on and tried rebooting, still blank.

OP
Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score
Those are the same permissions that the stock bootanimation file, thought it'd work. i just turned them all on and tried rebooting, still blank.

Try using this desc.txt instead:

View attachment 43344

One minor change, and I need to update the tutorial (had it updated on a different site, forgot to change it here, sorry). Basically, you can't have "hard returns" (not sure what they're called in programmer lingo lol) in the file. Use notepad++ (free download) instead of regular notepad, and edit an existing desc.txt rather than writing a new one. That's the easiest way. If you open the one I linked in regular notepad, you'll notice that it is all on one line, whereas in notepad ++, it's normal.

fezrock

Reaction score
Nice solution! I never realized that, and it may solve some other previously unsolved bootani mysteries. I always edit an existing file, and never had that problem.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

tehashi

Reaction score
Perfect! works now. All i need now is some tweaking to make it more seamless (has a black screen for a second before starting over at the start of the animation)
But thank you very much for the help.

OP
Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score
Nice solution! I never realized that, and it may solve some other previously unsolved bootani mysteries. I always edit an existing file, and never had that problem.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Yeah, that one took some experimenting to figure out :)

OP
Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score
Perfect! works now. All i need now is some tweaking to make it more seamless (has a black screen for a second before starting over at the start of the animation)
But thank you very much for the help.

Shouldn't be a black screen unless you've got a black frame at the end. I did notice you had a 6 frame pause, I would get rid of that (change to 0).

Bigshow4u

Reaction score
Well I hope you guys can help me because the bootanimation I'm working on is driving me nuts. I am trying to get this to work with sound and every time I edit the desc.txt file with the "s xbox.ogg" command I get a black screen. If I take the command out, it works fine. I am either editing the existing desc or making a new one with notepad++ I have tried moving the "s xbox.ogg" before and after each folder and every other combination i can think off and get the same result.... black screen

using a droid X2

The desc.txt looks like this:

540 960 20
s xbox.ogg
p 1 0 android
p 1 0 part0
p 0 9 part1

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=1e04d292fcb998ce&resid=1E04D292FCB998CE!164&parid=root

OP
Dr. Carpenter

Dr. Carpenter

Reaction score
Well I hope you guys can help me because the bootanimation I'm working on is driving me nuts. I am trying to get this to work with sound and every time I edit the desc.txt file with the "s xbox.ogg" command I get a black screen. If I take the command out, it works fine. I am either editing the existing desc or making a new one with notepad++ I have tried moving the "s xbox.ogg" before and after each folder and every other combination i can think off and get the same result.... black screen

using a droid X2

The desc.txt looks like this:

540 960 20
s xbox.ogg
p 1 0 android
p 1 0 part0
p 0 9 part1

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=1e04d292fcb998ce&resid=1E04D292FCB998CE!164&parid=root

Move the s line to just below the first p line. Add a blank line before each p line but not before the s line and try that.

540 960 20

p 1 0 android
s xbox.ogg

p 1 0 part0

p 0 9 part1

Bigshow4u

Reaction score
Move the s line to just below the first p line. Add a blank line before each p line but not before the s line and try that.

540 960 20

p 1 0 android
s xbox.ogg

p 1 0 part0

p 0 9 part1

unfortunately that didn't work either.

Edit: Nevermind. I tried writing a new desc file with what you suggested and it worked.... sorta. Gotta tweek the animation a little and boost the audio A LOT. lol Thanks for the help and I'll be back if i run into any more problems.

Last edited: