[Guide] Rezound Boot Animations

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've just had a few day crash course in boot animations and finally have a good grasp on the way they work on the stock Rezound (This includes Scotts Roms). I figured I'd pass this on to everyone else so you can use your favorite boot animation as well.

WARNING: This process does require root and will require you to move files onto /system/

For this example I'm going to use one that I cooked up at home (4homegrown.zip). It's crap but should give you a general idea.

First desc.txt should look like this:

Code:
720 1280 15

p 1 15 beats
p 1 90 VZW

Here is the explanation of each of the parts:

720 is the width of the images
1280 is the height of the images
15 is the FPS(Frames Per Second)

p stands for part
1 is how many times to loop
15 is how many frames to pause (15 frames at 15FPS = 1 second)
beats is the directory(in the zip file) to run

You'll notice that in this file beats all black and just an intro piece. It can be whatever you want it to be. The VZW directory contains the meat of the boot animation. Both of these directories must be present for a stock ROM to properly show the boot animation.

So if you get a boot animation from the UOT kitchen that comes with part0 and part1, change them to beats and VZW respectively and edit the desc.txt file accordingly. Re-zip the file and drop it on your phone. Note that the zip file should be created using "store" compression.

The last nugget of knowledge comes with placing the file properly. Please keep in mind this is for stock ROMs. First you will need to remount /system as read/write. From there remove /system/customize/resource/hTC_bootanimation.zip . If you do not remove this file, you may never see your animation play. I would suggest moving this file to a backup location or simply renaming it. Next is placing your actual boot animation. If you wish to keep the stock animation rename/backup /system/customize/resource/Vigor_VZW_bootanimation.zip. Now copy your boot animation file over /system/customize/resource/Vigor_VZW_bootanimation.zip .

If you've followed this guide correctly, you'll now have your favorite boot animation playing when you reboot your phone. If I get any information on the other ROMs I will edit the OP here as well.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome, thank you for this Mr Smith!

graywolf

Reaction score
What do you mean by "store" compression? I have changed the bootlogo, and now all I get is a black screen at bootup.
I think it has something to do with the "store" compression thing.

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Store is the compression level you use when you zip. Also, what ROM are you on? Some ROMs need the bootanimation to be named bootanimation.zip and placed in /system/media.

graywolf

Reaction score
I am using 7z to zip the stuff. Just found out how to do the "store" compression thing.
We will see what happens!

Insidious

Reaction score
Awesome stuff, thanks Mr Smith!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

graywolf

Reaction score
Got it to work!
It is a mash of the beats and the HTC Red bootlogo I found.

The secret is in the "Store" compression thing. :)