How slow is the Eris compared to Moto Droid?

Laramie

Reaction score
I have a Moto Droid. Love everything about it except the size. I wear jeans and the Droid with the rubber cover just feels like a brick in my pocket.

I don't have any upgrades available, so I'm considering selling my Moto Droid and buying a used Eris from ebay. My other two options are a Palm Pixi or a Blackberry 8530 Curve. I would prefer a phone that doesn't have a slider.

Is the Eris going to be a big step down in performance? I activated my wife's old Blackberry Pearl and ran it for about 2 hours the other day and it was so terribly slow, that I went back to my Droid.

Any thoughts?

brando56894

Reaction score
AFAIK its about the same (my friend had one and I messed with for a few minutes) but I just read on droid life that verizon is ditching the eris, so it will no longer be supported (but you can obviously still use it, you just wont get OTA updates)

bonfilio

Reaction score
Also.. pics may be misleading on the size. I've got a Droid, wife has the Eris - they are pretty much the same physical size. The Eris is rounder and doesn't bevel out, but physically, they are pretty same, including thickness. The different screens give the impressions of much different form factors, but nope.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
1. The Eris will be a step down.
2. Yup, its no longer on Verizon's website.

So even if a software update might fix some problem with the Eris, there's no telling if it will be supported for updates. Call verizon and see what they say about support.

A phone with no slider...try the Incredible.

frozty

Reaction score
Unless you are upgrading I would personally not trade my phone for a slower phone. Try getting a super slim phone protector you will love it.

eliassami5

Reaction score
AFAIK its about the same (my friend had one and I messed with for a few minutes) but I just read on droid life that verizon is ditching the eris, so it will no longer be supported (but you can obviously still use it, you just wont get OTA updates)

lol are you joking?? My sister has the Eris..and is painfully slow. EVERYTHING is slow, the dialer, the browser, the app drawer, looking through contacts..just EVERYTHING. Dont even think about going to the Eris..you will regret every second of it.

Why dont u just take the case off the droid?

kenbarnum

Reaction score
Get a seidio innocase. Very slim. Use it in my jeans pocket 24/7.

brando56894

Reaction score

lol are you joking?? My sister has the Eris..and is painfully slow. EVERYTHING is slow, the dialer, the browser, the app drawer, looking through contacts..just EVERYTHING. Dont even think about going to the Eris..you will regret every second of it.

Why dont u just take the case off the droid?

like I said I played with it for like a minute lol

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wear jeans and the Droid with the rubber cover just feels like a brick in my pocket.
They must use slim bricks in your part of the country. No brick would even fit in my pocket. :p

OP
Laramie

Laramie

Reaction score
I wear jeans and the Droid with the rubber cover just feels like a brick in my pocket.
They must use slim bricks in your part of the country. No brick would even fit in my pocket. :p

Maybe not a fullsize brick...but a chunk of one ;)

It does seem to me that the Droid feels noticeably bigger in my pocket than my old Curve 8330 or my old 1st Gen iPhone.

generalyummy

Reaction score
Insanely slow

The Eris is like the VW van of phones, slow as can be. My wife bought this phone while I picked up the droid. My wife hates technology but after 3 months tells me she wishes she bought my droid too. Everything about it is slow, and no matter what you do it speeds up. If you started with this phone, you might be ok with it, but coming from the Droid you will definitely tell a difference. I can't even stand to make phone calls with my wife's because everything has a huge lag.

jcaf77

Reaction score
for everyday stuff, browsing calls and messaging is fine...
but games like asphalt are a slide show