How should I interpret this message when I check for updates?

dalemccl

Reaction score
When I go to "Settings/About Phone/System updates", I always get the same message no matter when or how often I check. :

"Check for update was not available at this time. Try again later."

Is this just a poorly worded way of saying that it did check for an update but no update is available - that is, my phone is current (it is current: 2.1 update 1).

Or is it saying what it seems to say: that the update checking facility is not available? If that is the case then something must be wrong because checking for updates always result in this message.

Technoman

Reaction score
When I go to "Settings/About Phone/System updates", I always get the same message no matter when or how often I check. :

"Check for update was not available at this time. Try again later."

Is this just a poorly worded way of saying that it did check for an update but no update is available - that is, my phone is current (it is current: 2.1 update 1).

Or is it saying what it seems to say: that the update checking facility is not available? If that is the case then something must be wrong because checking for updates always result in this message.

My phone only stated that message one time, and that was because of LOW signal. Otherwise, my phone always shows "Your device is up to date. No update is necessary at this time."

OP
D

dalemccl

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for the quick replies. When you told me the message that means no update available is different from what I have been getting, I just tried checking for updates 8 times in a row and on the 8th time I got the message that no update is available, my phone is current. I've had the X since the end of July and this is the first time I got the proper message when I check for updates.

So it works like it should if I just keep trying. When 2.2 officially comes out I'll know to try multiple times if necessary (or maybe they push it out automatically and I don't have to check for the update?).

HawaiiDroidX

Reaction score
is the OTA update for 2.2 for the Droid X postponed again? thought i would get it last week or something....anyone got this info? im still on 2.1 and i guess it says im up to date..

Technoman

Reaction score
is the OTA update for 2.2 for the Droid X postponed again? thought i would get it last week or something....anyone got this info? im still on 2.1 and i guess it says im up to date..

What makes you say "postponed again"? It hasn't ever been postponed, as there has never been a hard date of when it would be released. Only statement has been late summer, and we are just now there.

HawaiiDroidX

Reaction score
What makes you say "postponed again"? It hasn't ever been postponed, as there has never been a hard date of when it would be released. Only statement has been late summer, and we are just now there.

just saying..thought i saw some things that said it would be here in august, then something happened..pushed back and heard something about first week in sept..i was just asking about it..i guess im wrong..calm down. sorry for asking and wanting to know about an update..

Technoman

Reaction score

just saying..thought i saw some things that said it would be here in august, then something happened..pushed back and heard something about first week in sept..i was just asking about it..i guess im wrong..calm down. sorry for asking and wanting to know about an update..

Dude, I am not upset and really don't need to calm down. If you haven't seen a actual statement of release from Verizon (with a date), then everything else you read is speculation and rumor. You posted that question in a thread that really wasn't about the update, but more about the verbiage that comes up when you "Check for an update".

HawaiiDroidX

Reaction score
yes im wrong. i couldnt find the other thread about the update. its been closed. so i admit im wrong. ur right. yay for you. im an idiot. done. have a great day buddy aloha from hawaii

zonaRSX

Reaction score
After all is said and done. He lives in Hawaii and you live in Dallas. Who's the real loser?

lol

jwimsett

Reaction score
I use to get the "Check for update was not available at this time" message all of the time until I had to do a factory reset. Now I wil always get the "phone is up to date" message.

Don't know why.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There probably won't be a single one of you who will get the update before we announce it on the Forum. I wouldn't even bother checking, a message will pop up when your Droid is ready to be updated.

Aloha from Ohio.