How many replacement phones is too many?

EatChex89

Reaction score
So I bought the Motorola Droid v1 the weekend it came out and replaced it a few months later due to the headphone jack becoming loose from the circuit board and any slight movement of the headphone cable would either interrupt the music with scratchy sounds or pause it or start the media player (I usually listen to Pandora or Rhapsody).

A few months later (late October) I replace the phone again due to the same problem. By this time, Verizon no longer has any new Droids and I am stuck with one of their "re-certified" pieces of crap. Anyway, this new unit doesn't last long and I replaced it again last week and asked for it to be shipped to my house. I get the new one Monday, back up and replace it that night. I barely use it at all on Tuesday, go to the gym Wednesday and then when I went to turn off my music at the end of my workout I find that the LCD screen won't show anything. The touch screen still works and the bottom buttons light up, but I can't see anything.

So I replace it again. This time I don't mind receiving the in-store model since I already had everything backed up.

Now with this new model, the built-in keyboard's letter "A" is broken which I pointed out to the tech in the store and she was like "Oh you just have to press it really hard." Ok? I don't think I should have to press it hard, it should work like the rest of the buttons do. But that's the least of my problems since I rarely use the keyboard.

The main problem is that I barely have used the phone and already the headphone jack is messing up. Should I stick it out for a few more days or a month or two before getting a new phone? And when I go back (which will happen), should I demand a new model?

Just curious as to what everyone would do, and even if Verizon would upgrade me to a new model. Also, my upgrade eligibility isn't up until July.

Recap:
1) Original Droid
2) Replacement because of headphone jack
3) Replacement because of headphone jack
4) Replaced due to LCD screen
5) Currently using. Headphone jack is already going, keyboard letter "a" is broken

stabl4life82

Reaction score
im on my 4th but i only get a new one to renew my 1 year warranty on it :) but yes, i would ask them for the x or the d2d

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You are one of the few people that I have seen that legitimately had a complaint and has gone through 5 phone. Most people it's user error.

I think 5 is enough, if you are still on your warranty tell them you're tired of being frustrated with bad phones. Ask if they will upgrade you. But don't do any of this at the Verizon store. Do it by phone and tell them about that sales person who said you needed to press hard on the A. That is a lot of bull.

If the first person says no, then try another one or escalate it to a Supervisor.

stabl4life82

Reaction score
yeah it always works for me whenever i used to tell them i would cancel my account if they didnt do anything bout my problem...they always made me satisfied..that waas with verizon and tmobile

OP
E

EatChex89

Reaction score
You are one of the few people that I have seen that legitimately had a complaint and has gone through 5 phone. Most people it's user error.

I think 5 is enough, if you are still on your warranty tell them you're tired of being frustrated with bad phones. Ask if they will upgrade you. But don't do any of this at the Verizon store. Do it by phone and tell them about that sales person who said you needed to press hard on the A. That is a lot of bull.

If the first person says no, then try another one or escalate it to a Supervisor.

I'm not on Warranty anymore, it expired in November. However, I replaced the phone twice within my warranty period. I have since replace the phone two more times since 3 months of being without of warranty. I was under the impression that the re-certified models got 90 days of warranty.

Detonation

Reaction score
Its pretty hard to actually get a new phone as a replacement. And unfortunately even if they switch you to a different replacement model, it doesn't help much - other CLNR models are just as bad as the Droid 1. I got a refurb Incredible after 4 bad Droids. Looked promising for two months until the touch screen broke, and then I went through 3 more in a short time frame before talking to a supervisor for about an hour and getting offered a Droid X. The X is working well for now, but I thought the same thing when I had my first Incredible...

dtnosk

Reaction score
i just recieved my 4th droid1, same problem I use it as a mp3 player all day at work, then at the gym at night. phone jack works fine at first then went bad on all of them. its funny because they tell me each time, they never heard of this issue

rustymcbain

Reaction score
Confirm the do have 90 days. Make the call they will upgrade you probably with a droid 2 refurb. Got one loved it sold it for $400. Moved to the X. Imo the best phone period to date.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
E

EatChex89

Reaction score
i just recieved my 4th droid1, same problem I use it as a mp3 player all day at work, then at the gym at night. phone jack works fine at first then went bad on all of them. its funny because they tell me each time, they never heard of this issue

Yeah, I also use the headphone jack all the time. I use it in my car (that's what I use for music), at the gym, at work, and at school. So I'm constantly unplugging and plugging headphones/headphone jacks into it.

When I took it in the first time, the girl was like "Oh yeah, someone just came in with this earlier." And every time after, they have never checked it, they just give me a new one.

Its pretty hard to actually get a new phone as a replacement. And unfortunately even if they switch you to a different replacement model, it doesn't help much - other CLNR models are just as bad as the Droid 1. I got a refurb Incredible after 4 bad Droids. Looked promising for two months until the touch screen broke, and then I went through 3 more in a short time frame before talking to a supervisor for about an hour and getting offered a Droid X. The X is working well for now, but I thought the same thing when I had my first Incredible...

Honestly, I love the Droid 1, I love the fact that the OS has not been customized. The only reason I'd want to get a new model is so that I don't have to worry about replacing it again, but from what you said, I am thinking I will not have better luck with another model.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'd give Verizon a call and kindly ask for a new model at least.

Nerotoxen

Reaction score
Wow I thought it was my headphones making that noise! I guess I should check in with verizon? They are right across the street from where I work... is it when the plug is moved even slighly? It hurts my ears, but I haven't tried any other head phones. I'm sorry about ur luck but if it makes u feel better my phones a reconditioned one as well... my first had the power button go out :(

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
E

EatChex89

Reaction score
Wow I thought it was my headphones making that noise! I guess I should check in with verizon? They are right across the street from where I work... is it when the plug is moved even slighly? It hurts my ears, but I haven't tried any other head phones. I'm sorry about ur luck but if it makes u feel better my phones a reconditioned one as well... my first had the power button go out :(

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

No, that is not your heapdhones. If you try another pair you'll find the same thing happening. After a bit of research, I found that the Droid 1 was actually made so that the headphone jack was never properly connected to the circuit board and easily came loose which leads to the scratchy sounds whenever you touch the headphone jack.

I would replace it, it only gets worse until the point when you literally can't use it at all unless you keep the phone 100% still.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I replaced my droid 1 4 times as well, but it was sensor problems and net problems. I'm just holding out for the bionic now to upgrade, get rid of this 1 year old refurb.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm not lying blame, but simply asking a question.

Are you sure it's not something you're doing that's causing all these headset jacks to come off the main board? I used to work as a technician for Motorola, and according to Motorola, a "loose headset jack" is not something that is covered under warranty because it's caused by the user. Basically, it doesn't just happen from ordinary use.

Once again, I'm not lying the blame on anyone, but simply asking a question.