OG Droid is on it's last legs

gibsonlp223

Reaction score
So after surviving a broken volume rocker, broken headphone jack, and a broken power button, my droids giving up. My screen has been on the fritz for the past two days, randomly selecting things, and after trying many different things, it still won't stop. So today I want to bring it into the verizon store to see if I could get a replacement, but first I have some questions.

1. What will I be expecting in terms of replacement? Does verizon have any more left OG droids or will I be getting a d2 or dx instead?
2. Is there no hope of a replacement if I'm out of warranty? Because I've had the phone for well over a year.
3. I am rooted, so should I just flash a stock rom and hide my root icons, or would it be better to just sbf it? I would much prefer the former.

Any answers to any of these questions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :D

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
1. I hear some people do still get OG Droids as replacements
2. Depending on the mood of the worker they might just replace it for you, but most likely they might deny you and just try to get you to buy a new phone especially if your contract is almost up
3. I've heard of some people sending back rooted phones once they hid the superuser icons or any other root apps. You're out of warranty already so it shouldn't really matter I think. I'd probably use SBF just in case the employee gets nosy and starts looking through the device.

OP
G

gibsonlp223

Reaction score
Well I called Verizon, and they pretty much gave me two options, I can either make an insurance claim and pay a $99 deductible which I do not want to do because I have an upgrade coming up in december, or I could upgrade early which I also do not want to do because I want to hold out for the better phones to come out during the holidays :/ so I'm pretty much stuck here. Does anyone know if I went into the store and made a big enough scene if they would budge on the warranty issue?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Another route you could go is buy a used phone off craigslist or something.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Or swappa.com

The store won't replace your phone. You are well over the one year manufacturers warranty I would imagine.