How long should a Droid battery last before the battery life shortens?

Shaneathan

Reaction score
I've had my Droid since the middle of last December. Within the past couple days, I've noticed the battery life has shortened from what it was.

Today, I took it off the charger at around 8:30. I barely used it for about 5 hours, and by that point it was at 60%. This is significantly shorter than it has been and I have not changed my habits/settings/apps. So I guess the question is: is 10 months really the length of time that a battery should have the normal battery life until it starts to deteriorate? I'm on a 2 year contract and they give me a battery that loses life with 14 months left?

Any thoughts?

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Try and drain the battery then charge back to full and drain it again then recharge. Sometimes that might do the trick. But if that does not reset the battery memory. Take it in to VZW before your one year anniversary and it should be covered under warranty. Just tell them that the battery is dying prematurely. They should replace it. As long as your under warranty.

Trying out Sprint for a month. Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk. 4G is pointless when you don't live in one of the few available network areas.

WarfinAZ

Reaction score
Same issue ???

I have only had my Driod X for a few months, and I noticed that the last 2 days (maybe just started yesterday) that my battery is just being sucked out like there is a whole somewhere. I didnt install anything new. ?? I came on here to see if anyone else was having the same problem. Is this a widespread thing? It would loose 40% in a matter of an hour.

Anyone else having this same problem

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have only had my Driod X for a few months, and I noticed that the last 2 days (maybe just started yesterday) that my battery is just being sucked out like there is a whole somewhere. I didnt install anything new. ?? I came on here to see if anyone else was having the same problem. Is this a widespread thing? It would loose 40% in a matter of an hour.

Anyone else having this same problem

Drained and recharge the battery as I stated before. This should work. It should not matter what phone you are using.

Trying out Sprint for a month. Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk. 4G is pointless when you don't live in one of the few available network areas.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Actually, it's not the battery memory, it's the phone's ability to read the charge state. Lithium-based batteries don't develop memory. :) But yeah, run the phone till the battery level drops to 5% and powers the phone off, then charge the phone all the way back up on the wall charger for at least 1 hour, preferably 2 or overnight without touching it. This will force the phone to relearn the battery charge states.

As for extended lifespans, it varies based on the individual battery, how hard it's used, etc. etc. But expect several months to a year before deterioration becomes noticeable. Two years is not unheard of, but it's not very common. However, at the price of a replacement battery (approximately $10), replacing it after a year doesn't seem too bad considering the cost of a new phone. ;)

WarfinAZ

Reaction score
Ok, I will try that. Is it best to have the phone off while recharging it? Like at night? I leave my phone on 24/7

My husband has the same phone, his started doing it too yesterday. So did my sister. I find it strange that they all of a sudden are having the same problem.

Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
OP
S

Shaneathan

Reaction score
Try and drain the battery then charge back to full and drain it again then recharge. Sometimes that might do the trick. But if that does not reset the battery memory. Take it in to VZW before your one year anniversary and it should be covered under warranty. Just tell them that the battery is dying prematurely. They should replace it. As long as your under warranty.

Thanks. I'll give this a shot.

I didn't realize that a replacement battery would only cost $10? I thought they would be closer to $70 or something.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, I will try that. Is it best to have the phone off while recharging it? Like at night? I leave my phone on 24/7

My husband has the same phone, his started doing it too yesterday. So did my sister. I find it strange that they all of a sudden are having the same problem.

Thanks again. :)
If you all got your phones around the same time, it looks like a battery life issue. You will find your phone will power on when you plug in the charger. On the original droid you could power it off after you plugged it in, Im not sure about the X.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint

Thanks. I'll give this a shot.

I didn't realize that a replacement battery would only cost $10? I thought they would be closer to $70 or something.
Amazon.com: Motorola DROID and DROID II 1300mah Standard Battery: Cell Phones & Accessories
Amazon.com: Motorola BP6X A855 Droid OEM 1300mah Standard Battery: Cell Phones & Accessories: Reviews, Prices & more

And that was just a quick Amazon "droid battery" search.

Sniper_5

Reaction score
[/quote]
If you all got your phones around the same time, it looks like a battery life issue. You will find your phone will power on when you plug in the charger. On the original droid you could power it off after you plugged it in, Im not sure about the X.[/QUOTE]

it could just be my phone but any time its plugged in it simply reboots when shut down. Just a heads up.

Sent from my D1 on SS4.8 @ 1Ghz

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That worked. My battery is acting like normal. Thanks!

Your welcome. Glad I could help. :)