How large is too large for an app?

VelvetVoidGames

Reaction score
Just a quick question, what would be the maximum size of an app (that could be installed on a sd card) that you would be comfortable with?

I.e. would 15mb be an acceptable size for an app? 30mb?

The main reason I'm asking is that my game is already fairly big at the moment, and if I add tablet support, it will probably become a lot bigger.

So, how much is too much?

Claps1775

Reaction score
Well, is it a game, book, or app like titanium backup, rom manager task killer ect? I say game is ok that size and book. Those are given. But apps like tbp or rm. No need to be that big. If you put thrm on sd card then I say that's ok. I heard problems about that though but that could be with back up.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

sarreq

Reaction score
for a game, I'd say 30 is fine, any more is probably pushing it. if you can figure a way to squeeze down your sound and graphic resources as much as possible, though, smaller is always better.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Most recent devices have a pretty decent amount of storage, to where 50MB or so wouldn't be that big of a deal. The concern I would have, as a developer at least, would be concerning the download. With wifi and 4G downloads shouldn't take that long, but folks with 3G it could take quite some time. Folks with tiered data, large apps may become a problem. Especially if you have frequent updates; 50MB a week comes to 200 - 250 a month for one app. This would also be annoying for that 3G user.

There are some larger apps that are kinda popular. Gun Bros has a ~100MB download once you are into the game. Peggle and Plants v Zombies are both just shy of 80MB.

To me, as long as my device has the free space, and I feel the app is worth trying, I will download it. 4GB? Bring it on. But I am sure I am in the minority that feels that way. My vote would be to make the app as good as you can, whatever you feel it needs. You can trim the fluff, or put it on a diet later if folks don't download or complain.

Natey2

Reaction score
The Android version of Plants vs Zombies is about 15% bigger than the iPhone version (74 vs 65MB).
The PC and Mac versions are much smaller (less than 30MB) but cost more than 6 times the price ($20 vs $3).

Why is that?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

OP
V

VelvetVoidGames

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I just wanted to make sure that my game wouldn't take up too much space if I add tablet support. Even with tablet support, it should still be a bit below 30 mb, so that should be fine. Thanks again for your help. :)

Last edited:

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
The Android version of Plants vs Zombies is about 15% bigger than the iPhone version (74 vs 65MB).
The PC and Mac versions are much smaller (less than 30MB) but cost more than 6 times the price ($20 vs $3).

Why is that?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

It is 74 mb but when I moved it to my internal storage on the droid 3 it went dow to below 1 mb.Amazing!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums