How to transfer large files from cell to PC?

vpelton

Reaction score
I have the Galaxy S6 & have been transferring files from the cell to my PC (& vice versa) with WebDAV server. It has worked great for thousands of files. But it doesn't work for large files. I have transferred small video files just fine. But I have some video files that are 80-300MB. When I try to transfer them, it says, "cannot read from the source file or disk" & it lists the file name, type (.mp4), size & date mod.

The way I copy is to run WebDAV server. Then on my PC, I access the cell drive in windows explorer. Then do copy (ctrl-c) & paste (ctrl-v).

They are also too big to email to myself. How can I get them onto my PC? Thanks so much.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

Short of connecting your phone directly to the computer a sure bet would be to use your local network and an app called AirDroid.

OP
V

vpelton

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

Short of connecting your phone directly to the computer a sure bet would be to use your local network and an app called AirDroid.
The Galaxy S6 does not let you plug it into a computer. I used to do that with my Droid RAZR, but not the S6.

AirDroid looks like it has some cool features. Turns out the free account has a file size limit of 30 MB & a monthly limit of 200 MB. So that won't work for my original application, but I'll still look into the program, as it seems it has many feature. Also, thanks to everyone else who made suggestions: Dropbox, Google Photos, Google Drive. Do any of these have limits for file size (I need 300 MB/file)?

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
The Galaxy S6 does not let you plug it into a computer. I used to do that with my Droid RAZR, but not the S6.

AirDroid looks like it has some cool features. Turns out the free account has a file size limit of 30 MB & a monthly limit of 200 MB. So that won't work for my original application, but I'll still look into the program, as it seems it has many feature. Also, thanks to everyone else who made suggestions: Dropbox, Google Photos, Google Drive. Do any of these have limits for file size (I need 300 MB/file)?
The S6 most certainly plugs into a computer.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

Why can't you plug an S6 into a PC? USB cable not provided with it?
The S6 most certainly plugs into a computer.
I thought it did

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
There is also an app called WiFi file Transfer but I never ran into any limits with AirDroid. I use it with a browser on the desktop, not the desktop app.

wcjeep

Reaction score
Have you tried to enable Developer Options? You may have to turn on USB debugging inside Developer Options.

Click on your Build Number 7 or 10 times. The phone will tell you when it's unlocked. Back out one menu item. Developer Options should now be visible.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Have you tried to enable Developer Options? You may have to turn on USB debugging inside Developer Options.

Click on your Build Number 7 or 10 times. The phone will tell you when it's unlocked. Back out one menu item. Developer Options should now be visible.
While that might not hurt anything, nothing in developer options should be required to transfer files via USB from phone to PC. USB debugging not being on shouldn't prevent that ability.

Reactions: cr6

augustk

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5
AirDroid is fine with the large files.

wcjeep

Reaction score
Most of the time Developer Options are not necessary. Every once in awhile it's very useful. I was transferring data from my S5 to S7 through my laptop using Win8. For whatever reason the S7 would only connect with Developer Option USB debugging. Wife's laptop using Win10 had no problems. It's a case by case scenario. I also turn off animation transitions on Samsung phones in the Developer Options.