How is this possible?

birdiebo

Reaction score
Ok, how about this: I've done a factory reset and frequent *228s, and here's what happens: On a plane trip, I do a full power down prior to takeoff, and put my X in my shirt pocket...nothing touches the power switch. Then, within thirty minutes, the device powers back on spontaneously! The first few times, I figured I'd inadvertently hit the power button, but now I see that's not the case. I know all about BB's and Androids power-cycling and/or shutting down spontaneously, but I've not seen anything like this. Have I got a collector's item or a lemon? Suggestions, please.:question:

OP
B

birdiebo

Reaction score
No...no alarms set. And it's happened after doing a factory reset. Puzzling.

PappaFloyd

Reaction score
That is odd. I have had my phone reboot itself but never turn itself on. I don't ever have my phone off though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
My son's Droid X will sometimes reboot instead of powering off. I've always assumed it was something going awry in the shutdown process. I've never seen it power on by itself once (I believe) it's fully off though. I suppose it's possible that it's hanging during shutdown and eventually rebooting, but I have suggestions on how to determine if that's actually what's happening.

Kasey923

Reaction score
@birdiebo is the phone stock? I know I had a bad install of a rom, where the phone worked fine but ever power down for me was a reboot.

Lib3rat3d DX

Naro

Reaction score
I've researched this with my DX, talked to many levels of tech support, found threads about it, and tried all suggested solutions except to brick the phone:
SOME, not all, DX phones will re-start after a shut off. Sometimes minutes, sometimes hours later. There is no solution. This is a "known issue" "to be corrected in the next software patch"... but there is NOT going to be a patch or correction. Live with it. The semi-good news is that on the second shut-down it rarely re-starts.

vatothe0

Reaction score
Ok, how about this: I've done a factory reset and frequent *228s, and here's what happens: On a plane trip, I do a full power down prior to takeoff, and put my X in my shirt pocket...nothing touches the power switch. Then, within thirty minutes, the device powers back on spontaneously! The first few times, I figured I'd inadvertently hit the power button, but now I see that's not the case. I know all about BB's and Androids power-cycling and/or shutting down spontaneously, but I've not seen anything like this. Have I got a collector's item or a lemon? Suggestions, please.:question:
Why not just put it on airplane mode and call it good? The battery will nearly last forever on airplane mode if you aren't using it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Its a known issue with the last ota.... sometimes if u power it off again it will stay off. Sometimes not. New soak coming out, so hopefully that and the book of other issues will be taken care of.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Reaction score
I've researched this with my DX, talked to many levels of tech support, found threads about it, and tried all suggested solutions except to brick the phone:
SOME, not all, DX phones will re-start after a shut off. Sometimes minutes, sometimes hours later. There is no solution. This is a "known issue" "to be corrected in the next software patch"... but there is NOT going to be a patch or correction. Live with it. The semi-good news is that on the second shut-down it rarely re-starts.

Incorrect. There is going to be an update to adress this as well as other issues. .621

OP
B

birdiebo

Reaction score
Why not just put it on airplane mode and call it good? The battery will nearly last forever on airplane mode if you aren't using it.
Thanks for the thought. That actually works fine, except when I'm on an airplane! The flight attendants are not very understanding when I try to explain that the device is not emitting or receiving. They'll actually stand over me to be sure I have done a full power-down. One time, the powered-down device came back to life while the attendant was watching.

vatothe0

Reaction score
Do it before they are standing there. They aren't going to tell you to take your phone, that they can't see and don't know you have, out of your pocket and verify it's off.

I read my kindle on the plane and when it's time for take off, I just slip it in the pocket and wait a few minutes. Wireless has been turned off since 10 minutes after I bought it so turning it off isn't any safer than it being on, they might as well tell you to close a book.