How I rooted my Incredible, and installed busybox.

R1Lover

Reaction score
that is what I was trying to explain, the filesystem is locked. It was not made clear in your original post, so should someone go through the steps and then try adding an app, such as Superuser.apk to the /system/app directory, they're going to be confused as to why even after they mounted the file system, it still does not let them.

I am not claiming you are incorrect, just clarifying. And yes, I already stated the coding was correct for the rw script, just that even after rooting it does not work properly on the incredible. Not a fault of yours or mine, but a fault of the limitations we still have regarding the Incredible.

EDIT: Sorry I just read the end of my original post, Sometimes I think ahead, and end up forgeting to write something I orginally intended. I did NOT state that your scripts were correct... but I meant to... after "(I checked your script code)" .... I just meant to clarify the limitations of mounting the file system currently. Sorry for the confusion.

I have superuser installed and running just fine.... :)

Thanks to XC from XDA for this as well.

First download AND extract the file: edit -> get the file here: Superuser 2.1 - Fun for all! [2010-05-16] - xda-developers
su-2.1-e-unsecure-signed.zip

Use adb to push both the su file and Superuser.apk to /sdcard/

Follow original rooting procedure, once at root (#) prompt in adb recovery

export PATH=$PATH:/system/bin
cd /system/app
cat /sdcard/Superuser.apk > Superuser.apk
cd /system/bin
cat /sdcard/su > su
ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
chmod 06755 su

cap201006110816.jpg

CaptainTaco

Reaction score
(Quote CaptainTaco)that is what I was trying to explain, the filesystem is locked. It was not made clear in your original post, so should someone go through the steps and then try adding an app, such as Superuser.apk to the /system/app directory, they're going to be confused as to why even after they mounted the file system, it still does not let them.

I am not claiming you are incorrect, just clarifying. And yes, I already stated the coding was correct for the rw script, just that even after rooting it does not work properly on the incredible. Not a fault of yours or mine, but a fault of the limitations we still have regarding the Incredible.

EDIT: Sorry I just read the end of my original post, Sometimes I think ahead, and end up forgeting to write something I orginally intended. I did NOT state that your scripts were correct... but I meant to... after "(I checked your script code)" .... I just meant to clarify the limitations of mounting the file system currently. Sorry for the confusion.

I have superuser installed and running just fine.... :)

Thanks to XC from XDA for this as well.

First download AND extract the file: edit -> get the file here: Superuser 2.1 - Fun for all! [2010-05-16] - xda-developers
su-2.1-e-unsecure-signed.zip

Use adb to push both the su file and Superuser.apk to /sdcard/

Follow original rooting procedure, once at root (#) prompt in adb recovery

export PATH=$PATH:/system/bin
cd /system/app
cat /sdcard/Superuser.apk > Superuser.apk
cd /system/bin
cat /sdcard/su > su
ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
chmod 06755 su

Correct, that feet has been overcome. Their method is listed in the first post on this forum as well. We now have Root, Superuser.apk, BusyBox, and a temporary recovery flash available. We're discusing the still limited lockdowns, such as the filesystem when not in recovery, the reflashing of any modified recovery ((Such as a Cryo recovery)) upon reboot, aka it won't last more than one boot. Etc, Etc.

But yea, have Root and Superuser, and loving every second of it. Now the next step is to see if we can plop a modified kernel on there, and have it actually STAY on there. :)

Last edited:
OP
adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Hell, I'd like it to just boot. I completely hosed my phone with a compiled kernel a few minutes ago :D

Luckily I have an RUU to work with.

R1Lover

Reaction score
Can we accomplish what is needed by just symlinking like the su.apk was done?

I just want to be able to play with themes and also have wifi tether working... but I think that can be done as is... it just needs some tweeks to the wifi.apk

OP
adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Sure, although there is a symlink file in the zip file I gave ya,.

I have a feeling MM is going fall flat on its face though.

R1Lover

Reaction score
MM tells me busybox is not installed..... :(

but it is as I have root access now without booting into recovery also.... not sure how I did it to be honest as I tried a few different things.... but it is working lol

R1Lover

Reaction score
I installed your busybox and now it see's it fine..... but it can't write to /system so it fails on checks and closes (as expected)

OP
adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I love my busybox. Even if its stupidly large. I apparently missed a compile option. It works well though.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good job adrynalyne I expect you boys from Team Chaos to have a Incredible based Rom in no time.

R1Lover

Reaction score
yes it does.... I shared it at mdw as well with brian who is actively working on the issues remaining... I did notice it was a bit larger them the others though.... lol

p.s. wifi tether is workign now too.... just create a folder on the sdcard called android.tether and put this file in there... works great now.

fw_bcm4329.bin

R1Lover

Reaction score
just a recap as of this morning

Root ok
Superuser ok
busybox -ok
Root explorer -ok
Drocap - ok
WIFI tether - ok.
Ti Backup - ok
Metamorph now see's busybox just fine..... but fails when trying to extract files to /system (which is expected at this point)

Last edited:
OP
adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Sowly but surely we are chipping away at it....LOL.

OP
adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Autokiller works.

Quite nicely, I might add.

Akrian

Reaction score
Well first of all - CONGRATZ, you just gave a blazing flash of hope to every DI user out there.
I think I'll wait till the process will be completely ironed out by many, and a super duper "walkthrough for dummies" appear.
But for the tether alone I'll R00t.

P.S. Motorola was probably design in mind to become the next "people's phone" that's why it some damn near unbickable ( I wish I had one...maybe wintertime...ebay...to play with =) ).

Aaanyway congrtaz again.