Enable JIT on Incredible

Acid7711

Reaction score
Well, I don't think I've run across anyone doing this yet, so I tried it, not sure if it's really working or not, but it boots fine and runs quick.

FYI: I'm rooted and running Clockwork recovery, busybox installed too

For anyone looking to try it for themselves, here's what I did.

First must edit your build.prop file. Pull it, edit it, then push it:

Code:
1.) adb pull /system/build.prop
2.) Add 'dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit' (without the '' s) to the end of build.prop
3.) Changed dalvik.vm.heapsize=24m   to dalvik.vm.heapsize=38m
4.) Save build.prop
Then

Code:
1.) adb push build.prop /sdcard
2.) adb push libdvm.so /sdcard
3.) adb push libnativehelper.so /sdcard
4.) adb push dalvikvm /sdcard
5.) Reboot into recovery mode
6.) Mount system, data, sdcard
7.) cp /sdcard/libdvm.so /system/lib
8.) cp /sdcard/libnativehelper.so /system/lib
9.) cp /sdcard/dalvikvm /system/bin
10.) chmod 0755 /system/bin/dalvikvm
11.) chmod 0644 /system/lib/libnativehelper.so 
12.) chmod 0644 /system/lib/libdvm.so
13.) cp /system/build.prop /sdcard/build.prop.backup
14.) rm /system/build.prop
15.) cp /sdcard/build.prop /system/build.prop
16.) chmod 0755 /system/build.prop
17.) sync
18.) Unmount system, data, sdcard, etc
19.) Reboot!
FYI: I referenced this thread:
Dalvik JIT working on Desire with Sense UI! - xda-developers

Hope this helps anyone.... Like I said, was a shot in the dark, figured I'd toy with it. Don't know it it's working, or right, but....what the heck.

OP
A

Acid7711

Reaction score
Haven't really kept tabs on what people are pulling on Linpack, but.....here's my average results:

Last edited:

Guchi

Reaction score
stock i am getting 6.9 average for linpack it looks like so your performance gain may be just from overclock i dont know...

OP
A

Acid7711

Reaction score
I ran Linspeed before and after the overclock. Before the overclock I was hitting 8's. No screenshot of that though : /

Guchi

Reaction score
well if thats the case then it seems to speed things up slightly. is there any stability difference w/jit and overclock?

OP
A

Acid7711

Reaction score
Not that I've noticed. Phone seems VERY snappy and performs VERY well. No problems or random reboots of any sort.

OP
A

Acid7711

Reaction score
Welllll I compared Quadrent results with on demand and performance mode, on demand yielded 638, performance only gave me 780. Still weak compared to pretty much everything else for some reason.

Even my friends droid overclocked to 1ghz hit 1,400 today... Why are we so low??

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welllll I compared Quadrent results with on demand and performance mode, on demand yielded 638, performance only gave me 780. Still weak compared to pretty much everything else for some reason.

Even my friends droid overclocked to 1ghz hit 1,400 today... Why are we so low??

Because he is running Android 2.2 and you're not.

AdamZ

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just a note... myself and most ROM devs have been doing this for a while. It does yield slight speed advantages.

OP
A

Acid7711

Reaction score
I figured it was the 2.2, but I didn't realize that it PUMMELED everything so bad. I figured at least I'd be somewhat close but man. Using his phone, even though his scores are high, it's still laggy.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one, but I just wanted to share. I've never really felt like I've had a chance to contribute much, although I try. So, here's another attempt to help people out :)

Is 38m large enough for the heapsize do you think or have you Dev's been experimenting?

CaptainTaco

Reaction score
Just a quick note, JIT implementations so far don't play nicely with Sense, which is why you may not see the speed increase you would on the Nexus One. I'm actually surprised you got it working, I tried the JIT used for the droid awhile back and it looped my phone. I'm hoping with the releases of Froyo to come that it will be fixed, and we'll see the benefits the Nexus One showed.

OP
A

Acid7711

Reaction score
Could be because I'm not really using Sense. I know it's almost still enabled, but I'm running laucher pro instead of the sense ui. No problems with it.