How hot is too hot?

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just noticed a day or two ago that my phone is now starting to get really hot. Per SetCPU I am hanging around the 97- 100 mark while sitting idle. My kernal was running at 800, and a few days ago I lowered it to 700, but I still see high numbers. This morning I was listening to the radio via my phone for a couple of hours, and when I turned it off I noticed it was really hot at SetCPU said it was 116. I have downloaded Sholes 7x 250- 800LV Kernal, but haven't installed it yet. But I am wondering what that magic number is that it could damage the phone? To me 116 sounds pretty darn high. Anyone else have high temps like this? I think I might just do a full wipe and reinstall.

jayman350

Reaction score
I have my setCPU profile setup for a high temp alarm at 50 dec C (122 deg F). I have read (somewhere on this forum) that the cpu and battery are rated for somewhere in the 140 deg F range.

The highest I have seen my phone go up to is around 125 deg F.

brando56894

Reaction score
116 is nothing.

Remember these are computer parts, they get hot. Your body temperature is almost 100F, a computer can stand a lot more heat than your body can. Ive had my processor as high as 186F and it still works fine, the processors fail point is around 210F. I would say dont let it sit at anything above 150F for extended periods of time, if the phone is literally burning your hands its too hot (ive had that happen 2x).

OP
ukyfan

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
116 is nothing.

Remember these are computer parts, they get hot. Your body temperature is almost 100F, a computer can stand a lot more heat than your body can. Ive had my processor as high as 186F and it still works fine, the processors fail point is around 210F. I would say dont let it sit at anything above 150F for extended periods of time, if the phone is literally burning your hands its too hot (ive had that happen 2x).

186F!?!?! Holy crap!

Anyway, so if my phone hovers around 100-120 it isn't that big of a deal? Now it usually doesn't get around 116 till after I have been streaming the radio for a couple of hours, and after that it usually drops down to 91-100.

white_ash143

Reaction score
My phone always ran hotter with the sapphire kernels.... no matter what ROM I flash I keep a copy of slayher's 1ghz low voltage on my sdcard.... My phone idles around 75-85 degrees and rarely goes over 100... only reaches 100 when I watch youtube or navigation...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
116 is nothing.

186F!?!?! Holy crap!

Anyway, so if my phone hovers around 100-120 it isn't that big of a deal? Now it usually doesn't get around 116 till after I have been streaming the radio for a couple of hours, and after that it usually drops down to 91-100.

He's right. But that's the max you want to get, not 210 that I've never heard.

OP
ukyfan

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My phone always ran hotter with the sapphire kernels.... no matter what ROM I flash I keep a copy of slayher's 1ghz low voltage on my sdcard.... My phone idles around 75-85 degrees and rarely goes over 100... only reaches 100 when I watch youtube or navigation...

How is your battery life with that one, and you mind posting a link where I can get it? The only kernels that I know where to dl are the ones here. I haven't really OC'ed my phone that much, but if yours rarely goes over 100, and you are running that quick then I think I might want to try it out.

white_ash143

Reaction score
Froyo Kernels by slayher - CyanogenMod Forum

He also has some modified kernels for Liquid Frozen Yogurt which you can find in liquid's section under his latest release. I think i'm running the LFY one now not sure I was messing around with them yesterday.....

Edit: yes i'm running the LFY 1100 version.... but i only run it at 800 so it lasts while i'm at work... sitting idle most of the morning and temp is 71 degrees.... battery off charge for about 6 hours and on the phone for 1 hour sitting at 70 percent now.

Armyof2

Reaction score
I've actually been running the Chevy kernel for a while and the temp is ice cold and so far batterylife seems pretty decent...i've tried the slayher kernel and i loved it because of the wifi module he uses seems to give me better signal when i'm away from my router but the 1.6 didn't work on sapphire for me...maybe the lfy version will give me better luck

Nausicaa

Reaction score
Wow, thats really hot isn't it? When I feel it being uncomfortably warm, I feel something is wrong. Mines idles at 62.6, but that might be because of my lack of heat as well.

white_ash143

Reaction score
Chevy's kernels run my phone hot for some reason.... i was browsing DF and my temp went up to 104 which is high for my phone.

brando56894

Reaction score
Wow, thats really hot isn't it? When I feel it being uncomfortably warm, I feel something is wrong. Mines idles at 62.6, but that might be because of my lack of heat as well.

Unless its burning you, nothings wrong.

116 is nothing.

186F!?!?! Holy crap!

He's right. But that's the max you want to get, not 210 that I've never heard.

I saw the fail point mentioned in an official TI document about the OMAP3430 when this topic came up before a few months ago. Essentially if youre phone is too hot to handle comfortably for a few minutes, then somethings wrong. Otherwise dont worry about it.

OP
ukyfan

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So far the new one seems to be doing pretty good, but while playing around I noticed that I am getting two different temperatures. Any idea why?

Edit...
Tried to attach a screen shot, but it won't let me

Edit #2....
Trying again...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Last edited:

SpaZZoiD

Reaction score
:::::

Hey brando, its hard to see the icons on your screen shots, can you post or send me a list of the apps on ur home screen? Also/are you guys talking about the D2 when talking about roms an kernals