How "Gingerbread" are the DX/D2 leaks?

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
According to mobile_sensei, the GB leaks contain a kernel that isn't a Gingerbread kernel:

... what you guys dont understand is that you're KIND OF running gingerbread. Did you wonder why you had to sbf back to official 2.2? to get the kernel, which is an old kernel, Not gingerbread.

When challenged about this, he responded:

The "Gingerbread" that is on the DX now uses kernel 2.6.32.. Real Android 2.3 uses kernel 2.6.35. Yes, boot & kernel must be signed by motorola,
where in lies the problem. How many motorola phones have Gingerbread with a signed kernel????? Motorola hasnt offered up an updated kernel & GB or we would have the updated kernels & true motorola Gingerbread on the DX. Motorola wont update the DX kernel untill they update it to 2.3... Read what Motorola has to say about Gingerbread on the X here:
https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/351969

This discussion began as a hijack to a thread (which, I humbly admit I think I kinda started), so this is my attempt to be able to continue such a conversation in a more appropriate place.

I'd like to know more about this...

Trong

Reaction score
I believe some of the OG Droids (Peter Alfonso) run on the .32 kernel with Gingerbread too so it doesn't really concern me much. Team Phoenix and cvpcs are all building Gingerbread on top of the .32 kernel on the DX too.

I am noticing a HUGE performance increase though, even with all my apps loaded up and with Motoblur. In Froyo (any ROM), if I was downloading/installing an app, it would download just fine but the phone would stutter like crazy right as it was about to finish installing. Same goes for uninstalls. Now, I have none of those problems and uninstalls happen almost instantly.

Touch response seems to have gotten better too. When using the dialer, I noticed that when I hit the tabs at the top (Dialer, Recent, Contacts, ...), the app reacts almost instantly rather than the few millisecond delay in Froyo. Same goes for most of the interfaces. And when playing a game like Fruit Ninja, the blade doesn't trail behind my finger's movement as much.

The phone seems to be more responsive much soon after booting too. I don't have to wait for all the apps to load up after unlocking the screen after booting. No more chugging when exiting an app or going back to the homescreen. Although I think Motoblur doesn't look so hot, it'd take a LOT to get me to go back to Froyo again.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/352202#352202

This is why they are locking the bootloaders and keeping us from rooting. To go on their forum and basically rub it in their faces that you are running a leak gb and now hyping up the people to bug moto on why they dont have gb yet. Time and place and that was not the place to do it. What you wanna bet MDW and TBH will have a C&D come out of it. Now about the kernel yeah moto will with hold the kernel source until final leak because they know people "leak" their test builds.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

This is why they are locking the bootloaders and keeping us from rooting. To go on their forum and basically rub it in their faces that you are running a leak gb and now hyping up the people to bug moto on why they dont have gb yet. Time and place and that was not the place to do it. What you wanna bet MDW and TBH will have a C&D come out of it. Now about the kernel yeah moto will with hold the kernel source until final leak because they know people "leak" their test builds.

by you i dont mean the op on this thread but the op who did it on motos forum.

El Poblano

Reaction score
I think people give to much importance to the kernel. Of course, there are things you can't do because of the kernel, but how many of them can YOU name? We have OC, tethering, themeing, etc. I don't think the GB is any less GB, despite the same kernel. Plus, even an average user can tell that there are clear performance gains in the new GB.

El Poblano

Reaction score

This is why they are locking the bootloaders and keeping us from rooting. To go on their forum and basically rub it in their faces that you are running a leak gb and now hyping up the people to bug moto on why they dont have gb yet. Time and place and that was not the place to do it. What you wanna bet MDW and TBH will have a C&D come out of it.

I understand you point of view, but I believe the purpose for locking the bootloader goes far beyond a response to the show offy attitude of the homebrew community. In fact, I would argue that profits (or losses from idiots who flash something without knowing and soft brick) are the ONLY purpose for locking the bootloader.
Certainly it doesn't help the cause to purposely piss off people, but I do think that having a constant voice in a location visible to Moto raises awareness.

fishaholic

Reaction score
so the GB leak has a new kernel right? or is it the same as before?

humungus

Reaction score
Maybe Motorola just isn't going to update the kernel?

It seems odd to me (though I could very well be wrong) that our 2.3.3 system would work perfectly on both the .32 and .35 kernels. Thus, if there was a .35 kernel ready, wouldn't there need to be another 2.3.3 system built for that kernel? So Moto developed 2 separate 2.3.3 builds? That would be weird.

adsfa34

Reaction score
pc747 is exactly right. Root users need to grow up and understand the responsibility required of rooting. So many people are fine with the risk of rooting, up until it actually affects them negatively. Then as soon as they mess something up because of their ignorance, they want Moto to pick up the check. Pardon me if I am overwhelmingly devoid of sympathy for those kinds of users. Because if it weren't for them, we would have unlocked bootloaders and custom kernels for some of the best phones made today.

Sent from Sourcery

gammaxgoblin

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with the quoted statements in the OP. Literally he's said its not gb unless motorola updates the kernel. Last time I checked, motorola wasnt the author of the android os. Secondly in terms of "authenticity" you could argue that it isn't "true" gb, just like when people restore old cars to the point of paint overspray on some obscure backside of a part of the body. But honestly who really cares about the kernel update unless its gonna make that much of a difference, which I doubt it will. As soon as custom "gb" based roms are are out we will all be that much further from "true" gingerbread anyway. Just my 2 cents.....

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums