How do you liberate RAM?

Samurai26

Reaction score
Just wanted a consensus on how people clear their temporary memory for better performance...

I use Advanced Task Killer to auto-kill apps and clear my cache with CacheMate a couple times a day, my average amount of free memory is around 50-60mb

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

pyro6128

Reaction score
To save you the trouble of the read, free memory isnt really a good thing. Its actually very useless. Android will manage the processes on its own and keep things you frequently use in memory so that you can access it quicker. Apps running in the memory use the same amount of resources as the free memory.

All of that being said, task killers are not all bad as some will have you believe. They're bad if you use an auto kill feature and become obsessive about killing apps. However, not all apps are written too well and some will either stay on when you don't want them to, or leave certain processes running after you've stopped using it (like leave your gps running for instance). Now these apps my otherwise work really well, but small problems like that can really negatively impact battery life and overall performance. Its for these kinds of apps that I keep a task killer around. When an app hangs up, or if I use an app with sensitive information I don't want to leave open, I just hit the task killer widget, and problem solved. You can do this through the settings menu already built into the phone, I just find that having a one click widget on the homescreen makes it all so much easier.

Sorry to ramble on, hope that helps you though.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just wanted a consensus on how people clear their temporary memory for better performance...
I don't. If you're having problems then address the problem (misbehaving app). If you're not having problems, then let go of the OCD.

Pyro's post touches on how Android works but there's far more info out there if you really want to dig into it. If you're going to use task killers then at least first learn how Android works.