How Do I

ThaiBoy02

Reaction score
Go back to Stock Rom (2.2.340) so that I may be able to receive GB update when it is officially release? I am currently rooted running DS 4.2(and lovin' it), i remember making a back up but only after I was rooted and already deleted bloatware like blockbuster and amazon. What is the simplest way or a noob to do this? (step by step if possible) And I am assuming that since there is a leaked rooted version of GB that I should be able to reroot after the official release?

OP
T

ThaiBoy02

Reaction score
So I flash maderstock and I will be right back to stock? DO I need to do anything else? Do I need to delete the Z4 root files or anything? Sorry for my inexperience.

OP
T

ThaiBoy02

Reaction score
OK, so in summary download and flash maderstock in bootstrap/clockwork recovery then delete z4 root and possible bootstrap. i should be back to stock for OTA update of GB. Reroot GB and then Im all good to go. Thank you for your help and patience!

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well with the maderstcok zip its a little more work but easier than SBF if you haven't SBFed before.

1. You would install maders zip like a ROM, wipe data/cache, install zip, reboot.
2. Reroot with z4
3. Remove bootstrap
4. Take OTA update.

Theres no need to unroot to update. You van remove super user in root explorer and unroot if you better though.

OP
T

ThaiBoy02

Reaction score
Well with the maderstcok zip its a little more work but easier than SBF if you haven't SBFed before.

1. You would install maders zip like a ROM, wipe data/cache, install zip, reboot.
2. Reroot with z4
3. Remove bootstrap
4. Take OTA update.

Theres no need to unroot to update. You van remove super user in root explorer and unroot if you better though.

I'm sorry but i didnt quite get the last part....I thought that if you were rooted you were unable to receive the OTA update? And how do I remove super user in root explorer? Does Root Explorer go by another name?

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Root is ok. You can't have a custom ROM and you must have all system apps. Root Explorer is a file manager like astro but allows you to move and edit system files. Its a paid app but well worth it. To remove super user, you would go to system/app and rename super user from apk to bak file extension. You need root explorer to do this. You can use Terminal Emulator but I'm unsure of the commands.

OP
T

ThaiBoy02

Reaction score
I currently have Astro File Manager and ES File Explorer. Are these apps able to do this action? (renaming super user from apk to bak)
So say the super user file is named superuser.apk ; I just go into i.e. ES File Explorer and name superuser.apk to superuser.bak for the update to I switch the name back after OTA?

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Would be something like this

Su
Mount -o remount -rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system/app
Mv /system/app/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.bak

You could just leave it though.... still get ota with su installed.

Edit:added the command to mount as rw.

sent from a D2G with Liberty 2

Last edited:
OP
T

ThaiBoy02

Reaction score
@13th angel

you just lost me there....I do have to mount/system app...but I have only used it once to flash Darkslide and very inexperience in its usage

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Terminal emulator uses commands. Its an app. You can only use terminal emulator or root explorer to access system files.

OP
T

ThaiBoy02

Reaction score
@13th angel

SO I could basically just follow these instructions and be fine....

2. Reroot with z4
3. Remove bootstrap
4. Take OTA update.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yep.

What I wrote before was the command to do it in terminal emulator

OP
T

ThaiBoy02

Reaction score
Yep.

What I wrote before was the command to do it in terminal emulator

OK, I have Terminal Emulator as well but only used it to root my phone with a friends help. As he is way more computer and modding savvy.

But I guess the easiest way to just leave Super User put cause I can still accept OTA and still be rooted after I flash Maderstock, correct?