How do I know which apps I can move back to media area

guitarskoota

Reaction score
So I have had the Bionic for a while now, and always moved every app and game I downloaded, from the media area, to the phone, under manage apps. I've got like 300 apps on this thing now, all on the phone storage. Now that the OTA fixed the bug with apps on the media area, I would like to move some back. My only problem, is I don't remember which apps default installed to media, and I don't feel like taking the time to move every app and test each one 1 by 1. Is there a quicker way to know which ones are safe to move back?

ruck0loc0

Reaction score
"App 2 Sd " app in market

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
How about none? Why put them in the Media partition you have plenty of room on the phone don't ya?

OP
G

guitarskoota

Reaction score
Well I've got about 500MB of "App Storage" free, and 3GB of "Internal Storage" available, so I figured I could move some more apps to the internal storage to free up room for future apps.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well I've got about 500MB of "App Storage" free, and 3GB of "Internal Storage" available, so I figured I could move some more apps to the internal storage to free up room for future apps.

As quickly and easily as apps can be installed, why not just uninstall apps that you use infrequently. You can then reinstall them when you need to use them. As an example, I use Google Sky about once every other month or so. I just install it, use it and the uninstall it. Surely you aren't using 300 apps on a daily basis?

zirkdog

Reaction score
Click on: Settings--->Applications--->Downloaded--->Then click on each of your apps. There will be be a box highlighted saying "move to media area" if the app can be moved to the int sd. You could use the apps2sd app or you could just do it all yourself with the resources the phone has built in to it.

OP
G

guitarskoota

Reaction score
Are the apps listed under the media area tab, only apps that can be moved? My concern was going in here and moving everything, would move some apps that arent supposed to be moved to SD card. But if it's only listing apps that are moveable, then its no big deal because I can just move them all, without worry of moving something and having the app break.

OP
G

guitarskoota

Reaction score
As quickly and easily as apps can be installed, why not just uninstall apps that you use infrequently. You can then reinstall them when you need to use them. As an example, I use Google Sky about once every other month or so. I just install it, use it and the uninstall it. Surely you aren't using 300 apps on a daily basis?

I know I know, but 95% of them are games. And I am slightly OCD when it comes to having tons of stuff on my phone. I like having games installed, data downloaded, organized by genre, and ready to go, so I can just pick a genre, pick a game, and start playing. I pretty much have every game I want though so I don't forsee me filling up the rest any time soon.

There is no downside to having this many apps is there as long as I don't run my phone space too low? I just got the phone 3 weeks ago, and speed wise, the difference between the day I got it, and now, seems basically identical. Only thing maybe is it takes about 2x as long to boot as when I got it, but I generally don't turn it off so it's no big deal.

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Are the apps listed under the media area tab, only apps that can be moved? My concern was going in here and moving everything, would move some apps that arent supposed to be moved to SD card. But if it's only listing apps that are moveable, then its no big deal because I can just move them all, without worry of moving something and having the app break.

Yes, if it's listed on the Media Area tab that means it can be moved. If it has a checkmark next to it, that means it has already been moved. Apps that cannot be moved won't show up there at all. Not the most intuitive system but that's how it works.

zirkdog

Reaction score
Why are you so against moving the apps to sd. Any good reason?

I'm not against it but I will pose a question:

This phone has 4gb of space devoted solely to apps and that 4gbs can't be used for anything else. What is the benefit of moving apps out of that space to the sd where they will then clog up memory that I might want to use for something else (music, movies, photos, files, etc.).

I have 75 +/- apps installed plus the stock bloatware and I never use a majority of them, I just though they were cool. I haven't even used up 1gb of the 4gb app storage space. What does it take to burn through the 4 gb of app space? 400+ apps??

portermac

Reaction score
I'm not against it but I will pose a question:

This phone has 4gb of space devoted solely to apps and that 4gbs can't be used for anything else. What is the benefit of moving apps out of that space to the sd where they will then clog up memory that I might want to use for something else (music, movies, photos, files, etc.).

I have 75 +/- apps installed plus the stock bloatware and I never use a majority of them, I just though they were cool. I haven't even used up 1gb of the 4gb app storage space. What does it take to burn through the 4 gb of app space? 400+ apps??

You have a good point. I have around 160 apps and have used only 1gig but I just got use to moving apps on the og Droid so the phone wouldn't slow down. Well now that its working we can have either 20gigs or 36gigs for apps. One thing I hated about the og was the lack of space. I guess that's not a problem anymore.

unbesorgt

Reaction score
You have a good point. I have around 160 apps and have used only 1gig but I just got use to moving apps on the og Droid so the phone wouldn't slow down. Well now that its working we can have either 20gigs or 36gigs for apps. One thing I hated about the og was the lack of space. I guess that's not a problem anymore.

Actually it's 12gigs, because there's no way to move apps to the external sd card. Not sure why Moto designed it that way, but they did. Still, 4gigs app storage plus 8gigs Media Area should be plenty. I'm also coming from the OG Droid and well remember the frustration of 256megs app memory. ;)

portermac

Reaction score
Actually it's 12gigs, because there's no way to move apps to the external sd card. Not sure why Moto designed it that way, but they did. Still, 4gigs app storage plus 8gigs Media Area should be plenty. I'm also coming from the OG Droid and well remember the frustration of 256megs app memory. ;)

I thought media area was the external sd. Is that not correct?