How Do I Gain Root Back?

roytoy101

Reaction score
So I took the ota update to 2.3.6 and lost root. Anything out there to gain root back?

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
YES, go to *********** and download z4root & superuser go debug phone in applications/development and then open z4root and root. Simple: )
-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Z4root will not work for the RAZR

Sent from my Untouchable TB using Xparent Red Tapatalk

hoppyjr

Reaction score
The above link appears to only work for pre-2.3.6 build. I cannot find any successful tools to root after last nights update :(

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Sorry give me just a minute.

Reaction score
This has been addressed over and over and over on many threads on this forum. There is no way to root the newest certain 6.12.173. You have to root while on 748, then download root keeper from the market to save root, then update to 173, then restore root with the root keeper app. Once you are on 173, you can not root. Your only option is to go back to 748 and root.

I am sorry if the beginning of my post sounds like I am irritated but users need to look through the threads before posting questions that have already been beaten to death.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using DroidForums

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Well, this post came out yesterday. It could possibly happen to be answer but I'm not positive. So i just wanted to help.

Reaction score
Well, this post came out yesterday. It could possibly happen to be answer but I'm not positive. So i just wanted to help.

I gotcha. You were just answering the OP to the best of your knowledge to this point. I wasn't referring to you in my post because you were just answering the question. Like I said not trying to be a Dick but the OP would have known the answer had he looked at other threads dealing with the ota. It has been well established that the new ota can not be rooted for over a month now since the leak came out.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using DroidForums

Last edited:

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Yes, I obviously understand i just rooted a few old droids and thought i could possibly somewhat help him.

cmk325i

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat let me know if you figure out how to do this. I'm stuck with the super user icon and no root

VingInMedina

Reaction score
I am in the same boat too. I guess it's my own fault for not checking into how to keep root before taking the upgrade.

Just wondering, is it possible to go back to 748 at this point, or am I stuck if I don't have a backup.