New Videos app knows if your ROOTED

techgov8

Reaction score
I just upgraded to 2.3.6 and used the ota rootkeeper and restored my root after the update. I was checking the new bloatware out and the Videos app opens up to the rental section and says "Rentals are not available on your device because it appears to be rooted" Does anyone think this is anything to worry about as far asw Motorola finding out?

eidian

Reaction score
Wow! That's crazy! I just tried it and you're right. I used Voodoo to unroot and the app worked.

Motorola doesn't care if your phone is rooted, we bought it and how we "mess"" with it is our own set of problems. Verizon on the other hand...

...they would be interested but I doubt that they're going to hunt individuals down. They'll just use the same technology that's in this video app to try to prevent us from using certain rooted apps to their disadvantage.

2.3.6 ver 174 rooted with NO problems

OP
techgov8

techgov8

Reaction score
Yea I know about motorola but do you think they would have anything to do with Verizon in detecting root? Oh well I don't care about the app anyways. I wonder if they'll have anymore apps come out with this

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Ever since movies were released in the market, if you were rooted you could not view them...I think it is more being sure that movies aren't pirated persay when you are given a short timeframe to watch them..

OP
techgov8

techgov8

Reaction score
Ever since movies were released in the market, if you were rooted you could not view them...I think it is more being sure that movies aren't pirated persay when you are given a short timeframe to watch them..

That's no big deal to me I don't wanna rent them anyways. Its a rip off

eidian

Reaction score
Yea I know about motorola but do you think they would have anything to do with Verizon in detecting root? Oh well I don't care about the app anyways. I wonder if they'll have anymore apps come out with this

Nah, Motorola is only concerned with hardware, they'll let Verizon/Google worry about content.

2.3.6 ver 174 rooted with NO problems

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
That's no big deal to me I don't wanna rent them anyways. Its a rip off

I agree, I don't think many do...but if you are watching on a rooted device it wouldn't be hard for the community to come up with a way to pull the DL and now you have a perm copy...that is what I think they wanted to avoid IMO...

Reaction score
Small town girl is right. This is nothing new. The videos app has always known if you were rooted and blocked your ability to rent videos from the market .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Kimo91

Reaction score
I just noticed this tonight for the first time since I rooted my Razr back in early December. Tested the theory first by going to the video app and saw that message about being rooted and the only videos I could view was what I recorded on my phone. Then opened up voodoo root keep app and clicked on temp unroot, then went back to the video app and saw I could now browse the video rental section with no problems.

Sent from my rooted and Safe Strapped Motor DROID RAZR