How can i make Swype FORGET a word??

jcardona1

Reaction score
Ok this is really annoying! not sure if it's a Swype thing of the phone itself. a while back i went to type the word "actg", short for accounting. now swype remembers this word and whenever i want to type the word "a", Swype inserts "actg" which is extremely annoying and frustrating!

do you guys know if i can make swype forget this word? thanks! :)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok this is really annoying! not sure if it's a Swype thing of the phone itself. a while back i went to type the word "actg", short for accounting. now swype remembers this word and whenever i want to type the word "a", Swype inserts "actg" which is extremely annoying and frustrating!

I've had a similar problem and cannot find the answer on the Swype forum site. In general, it appears that user access to the dictionary is not well documented or available. The Swype software manages it and adds words but it's very difficult to look over its shoulder to see what is going on, much less to intervene.

AHA! Found the answer... From the Swype site....

"If it had been a user-added word, all you would have to do is highlight the word and press the Swype key. You'd then see a notification that the word was removed from the UDB. Happy Swyping,.."
Franklin

Franklin is the customer support guru at Swype.

les017

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that Swype does not remember the word itself. All added words are added to the User Dictionary.

go Droid Settings > Language & Keyboard > User Dictionary....select word and it will ask you to "edit" or "delete"

OP
jcardona1

jcardona1

Reaction score
tried that but that word doesnt even show up in my user dictionary. ??

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that Swype does not remember the word itself. All added words are added to the User Dictionary.

go Droid Settings > Language & Keyboard > User Dictionary....select word and it will ask you to "edit" or "delete"

not if you TAP a word out then press space bar swype will learn this word it will NOT be entered into the dictionary

try it out find a word that swype doesn't know then tap it out and then try and swype it

-=Jason=-

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I may be wrong, but I believe that only works for the "Android Keyboard." I'm pretty certain, for example, that I had to re-enter my wife's and daughter's names into the Swype keyboard after I switched from the leaked version to the beta. And both of those names are in my "User Dictionary." Not 100% certain of this but pretty close.

bizfox

Reaction score

I've had a similar problem and cannot find the answer on the Swype forum site. In general, it appears that user access to the dictionary is not well documented or available. The Swype software manages it and adds words but it's very difficult to look over its shoulder to see what is going on, much less to intervene.

AHA! Found the answer... From the Swype site....

"If it had been a user-added word, all you would have to do is highlight the word and press the Swype key. You'd then see a notification that the word was removed from the UDB. Happy Swyping,.."
Franklin

Franklin is the customer support guru at Swype.

The above method works... I just tried it... :)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
^ PERFECT!!! thanks, that did the trick :D

This is my "pay it forward" moment today. Earlier today I had a perplexing problem with the K-9 email program on my wife's new Droid. Spent an hour searching for an answer and finally posted the problem here. Twenty minutes later another user posted the solution.

BTW, I'm not affiliated with this site in any way, but a couple of days ago I became a supporting member. Considering that I've probably derived about $1000 worth of support from other users here in the four months I've owned my Droid I figured it was only fair to show my appreciation. I'd urge others to think about the value this site provides.

mach330

Reaction score
the question is..how do you know what''s in swype's "remembered words"?

tyler918273

Reaction score
It didn't work for me either. I tried double tapping to highlight and select text and both ways after pressing the swype key I got a word selection window.

mach330

Reaction score
like someone said. you can only delete a word that you made swype learn. the built in dictionary, you cannot delete. yeah..it sux.