Hours per Day to Reach 5GB of Data?

GrillMouster

Reaction score
The fine print on the data plan said that it's unlimited for the droid, but that if you exceed 5GB, they will assume that you've tethered and will automatically charge you for the higher data plan and may switch you to the higher plan ongoing. To date I haven't heard that they've actually done this to anyone who has exceeded 5GB. I think they'd have a hard time enforcing this, since a) the plan is named "unlimited", and b) they'd have a hard time proving that you tethered, especially if you haven't.

I'm not worried about it. I haven't exceeded 5GB. I've gotten close, but I wouldn't hesitate to go over, especially since I've never tethered.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
The fine print on the data plan said that it's unlimited for the droid, but that if you exceed 5GB, they will assume that you've tethered and will automatically charge you for the higher data plan and may switch you to the higher plan ongoing. To date I haven't heard that they've actually done this to anyone who has exceeded 5GB. I think they'd have a hard time enforcing this, since a) the plan is named "unlimited", and b) they'd have a hard time proving that you tethered, especially if you haven't.

I'm not worried about it. I haven't exceeded 5GB. I've gotten close, but I wouldn't hesitate to go over, especially since I've never tethered.

Wrong.

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
If you search the forums you will see that at one time it was said that it was unlimited "up to 5gb"...I remember it was a topic that got people heated since Verizon was proclaiming unlimited" yet had 5gb in small print...which for the average person 5gb is probably plenty...

And if you actually read those threads, you'll find out what you're claiming is false:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/1031-misconceptions-unlimited-data.html

Which is why I mentioned that I haven't been ON THE FORUMS in a while...I was unaware of the change...

This is the clause that worries me a little. Yes it says "unlimited" but the small print says otherwise. I would be curious how it would play out in a court if someone decided to challenge it.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
I have never even heard of this, I got my Droid on 11-6 and never questioned it-Unlimited means Unlimited

Sent from my Droid thru Time and Space

If you search the forums you will see that at one time it was said that it was unlimited "up to 5gb"...I remember it was a topic that got people heated since Verizon was proclaiming unlimited" yet had 5gb in small print...which for the average person 5gb is probably plenty...

i was using cricket broadband (slowest internet i have ever used top download speed was 60 kilobytes a sec)and they advertised being unlimited but the small print said after 5gb they would not charge you per megabyte but would throttle your speed down by 50 kilobytes (so virtually slow than dial up which was almost unusable) but i am glad that verizon doesnt do this

btw my droid get up to 200 kilobytes dl speed

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Wrong.

Double wrong. GrillMouster, we've been through this hundreds of times and what you're saying simply is not true. We really don't need to go through it again.

B

bthomp21

How is there a higher data plan than unlimited? haha

Please stop now.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
Okay, I'm not a regular here, so I didn't know it had been hashed out already.

Back when I got my droid, before I heard anyone here mentioning the 5GB cap, I came across the language myself on the Verizon Wireless website. I saw it while going through the the online ordering process where you pick a plan, pick a phone, add features & accessories. After selecting my talk plan and selecting the droid, the site told me that I needed to pick the data plan for the droid. Next to my unlimited data plan was a link for the details, terms & conditions. When I clicked the details it said what I stated in my original post (unlimited, but if you exceed 5GB they'll assume you tethered). I saw it with my own eyes on the Verizon site in the terms & conditions for the unlimited personal data plan. Actually, someone else copied and pasted the language:
"DATA PLANS AND FEATURES

Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, GlobalAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). The Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term."
This was the language accompanying the droid's data plan at that time. It's no longer linked to the droid's data plan on the Verizon site. I did a Google search and found an article (I think on PC World) where the writer saw the same thing and contacted Verizon for clarification. Verizon told him that the information on their web site was outdated, and the site was due for an update. So, I guess they updated it and it's no longer there for that data plan; it may apply to other plans, but not the unlimited plan for the droid.

Anyway, my point was that whether the language is there or not, it doesn't matter because the fact is that the Verizon is not capping us at 5GB. People are using more than 5GB and they're not getting charged, so there is no cap. The unlimited plan is unlimited.

Last edited:

GrillMouster

Reaction score

Please stop now.

Verizon's language, not mine. I though it was odd, but there it was: two plans, both labeled "unlimited" with different prices. One was personal unlimited ($29) and the other was "enterprise" or something like that ($40-something). In the details for the enterprise it said that you could tether, etc. As I stated in my previous post, the terms linked to the personal mentioned the 5GB, but that was later shown to be wrong.

B

bthomp21

Please stop now.

Verizon's language, not mine. I though it was odd, but there it was: two plans, both labeled "unlimited" with different prices. One was personal unlimited ($29) and the other was "enterprise" or something like that ($40-something). In the details for the enterprise it said that you could tether, etc. As I stated in my previous post, the terms linked to the personal mentioned the 5GB, but that was later shown to be wrong.

thanks for clearing that up

Taegost

Reaction score
That verbiage doesn't say anything about additional fees, just that they reserve the right to terminate service or limit bandwidth for people that go over 5G in a month.
Just because they can, doesn't mean they will... I think that was just there as a CYA on the part of VZW, but they're usually pretty good to their customers.
I guess it's a moot point though, since that verbiage was removed from the ToS :)

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
I can see how this topic still causes a debate...which is good. I have learned a lot from reading everyone's replies...Thanks everyone!

y0manda

Reaction score
I average 13 GIGs a month, since November, No word from vzw or any bill changes.

please tell me you're tethering, cause if you're not. wo how u do dat?

i usually rack up 600 megs a day just listening to 192kbit music @ work in a 8 hour period.

For those of you who still think Unlimited means 5 gigs:
1. Re read your contract.
If you still think it means 5 gigs repeat #1

Last edited: