Hours per Day to Reach 5GB of Data?

mikespe

Reaction score
I was curious as to roughly how many hour per day streaming audio it would take to reach the 5gb limit on Verizon? I have been using the new Sirius Radio App about 2 hours per day since it came out and I am worried I might go over the limit. I really don't stream too many videos. I am not sure if App downloads from the market count toward our limit?

On a related note...what IS counted toward our data limit? Are emails through the 2 stock apps counted? MMS messages from texts? I know video, audio, and internet is included...

Thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was curious as to roughly how many hour per day streaming audio it would take to reach the 5gb limit on Verizon? I have been using the new Sirius Radio App about 2 hours per day since it came out and I am worried I might go over the limit. I really don't stream too many videos. I am not sure if App downloads from the market count toward our limit?

On a related note...what IS counted toward our data limit? Are emails through the 2 stock apps counted? MMS messages from texts? I know video, audio, and internet is included...

Thanks

Dude.....You have an unlimited data plan. That 5gb limit is totally false. Feel free to listen as much as you want.

baniels

Reaction score
Hook is right. The 5 GB limit does not apply to the unlimited data plan you have.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not that it matters since the 5GB cap has been proven false on here multiple times, but you can check your data usage on Verizon's website.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
You can always institute a personal 5GB limit if you want, after which you can cane yourself multiple times for every GB of overage. :)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was curious as to roughly how many hour per day streaming audio it would take to reach the 5gb limit on Verizon?
Not that it matters but it depends on the compression. If you have the bitrate you can calculate it out.

Example: 100 kbps is the bitrate

100kb/sec * 60 sec/min * 60 min/hr * 1 bit/8 Bytes = 45,000 kB/hour or roughly 45MB/hour.

I'll leave the math on figuring the number of hours to reach 5GB to you.

All data. If it isn't a voice call or text message over Verizon's network then it counts as there's no magic way to transfer data through the ether. ;)

Last edited:
OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
WOW! It's been awhile since I been to the Droid forum and I never realized the 5gb rule did not apply. I remember when I first got my Droid back in November that was all everyone could talk about (that and 2.1...LOL!)

Thanks for clearing that up! I love listening to Sirius while I jog...

y0manda

Reaction score
I average 13 GIGs a month, since November, No word from vzw or any bill changes.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My Verizon - in the market, a free app.

Usage - will display how many minutes you have used, how many messages sent, as well as how much mb you have consumed. But as others have already said, that is for curiosity's sake only...there is no cap or limit on data and it even says "Unlimited". Your text and phone also display their monthly allowances.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have never even heard of this, I got my Droid on 11-6 and never questioned it-Unlimited means Unlimited

Sent from my Droid thru Time and Space

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
I have never even heard of this, I got my Droid on 11-6 and never questioned it-Unlimited means Unlimited

Sent from my Droid thru Time and Space

If you search the forums you will see that at one time it was said that it was unlimited "up to 5gb"...I remember it was a topic that got people heated since Verizon was proclaiming unlimited" yet had 5gb in small print...which for the average person 5gb is probably plenty...

dclutter1

Reaction score
My Verizon - in the market, a free app.

Usage - will display how many minutes you have used, how many messages sent, as well as how much mb you have consumed. But as others have already said, that is for curiosity's sake only...there is no cap or limit on data and it even says "Unlimited". Your text and phone also display their monthly allowances.

I've been keeping an eye on my usage so I have a good idea of how much I'll need when/if I decide to switch to 4G when it comes out. It will be helpful to know if the service does end up being tiered like they say.

R

Romple

No one answered the question, even if the basis of it is wrong. So, based on some speed tests I'm going to cite an average download stream of 1500 kbps, or 1,500,000 bits/sec, or 187,500 bytes/sec.. I live outside of NYC (in NJ. Go NJ!)

So if we're assuming 5GB is 5,000,000,000 bytes, it would take (5,000,000,000 / 187,500) = 26,667 seconds, or 444.44 minutes, or 7.4 hours to download 5GB.

Cliffnotes: It would take 7 hours 24 minutes to use up 5GB of data assuming a constant download speed of 1.5Mbps.

Detonation

Reaction score