Horrible battery drain with JB update....

viseo

Reaction score
The battery drainage is due to Media Storage and Downloads 4.1.1 app on your mobile phone. Read this tutorial to fix this issue: here.

rontot

Reaction score
It's interesting that I see this as a problem with loaded roms. Mine was not. I never loaded any roms or rooted.

I only took the over air update from Verizon and had the media/download battery drain. Insane drain to, you could almost watch the battery go down.

The battery drain did not start right away, it was after a couple days. I did a factory reset that seemed to take care of the problem, but after a couple days again it started draining the battery again.

I have done nothing since, but the insane battery draining has went away on its own.

So, I would advise to try letting it go a couple days and see if it fixes itself. Mine did.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well so far it seems the second FDR has been 100% successful for others. I'm going to look into this fix a bit more but a FDR just seems more....reliable. Especially since I was new to ROMing and people said flashing was the better method anyways. Yeah... And also from what I can read this only seems to deal with the media issue causing battery drain, when I have other random little problems that others don't seem to have. So we'll see.

Ron, question, was your GS3 ever rooted before installing the update?

What's funny is the description on that website says to not attempt these steps (to flash a rom and kernel) if you're a beginner, but people on forums are always talking about how easy it is. Not arguing for or against, just thought it was funny.

Last edited:

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
It seems a lot of those who had to flash the ROM were rooted in the past but then unrooted (probably by an OTA? at least that's how it was for me...)

So what's interesting is, thought it was the same issue, you got yours OTA and it fixed itself after 1 FDR, but the aforementioned had to do two FDRs or flash another ROM. What an odd problem...

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well after a day and a half from my 2nd FDR I am noticing absolutely no change in battery life. Still sucks, and my phone seems to be glitchier. So I think what I'm going to do is try one more FDR, and this time let Google restore all my apps instead of TiBu. If that makes the difference, then I'm going to restore pretty much only games or apps I know couldn't be the cause, like ColorNote.

Android System is still the number 1 battery drainer. What's bothering me most is that's what the problem was when I had horrible battery drain on ICS. That was a WiFi issue that seemed to have resolved itself, but the same steps I took there haven't helped at all here. UGH!!!!

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
Maps is my top battery drain and I can't even "force close" it because it never actually runs. I turned off all location services except for e911 (duh) so it makes no sense. Otherwise the phone is flawless. The battery life is slightly better with every location service off (used to leave Google on) but idk not that much. I'm thinking it will work itself out in time.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Second FDR did not fix my battery drain. It actually wasn't too bad yesterday and I used it a lot, but today it was TERRIBLE and I barely touched it. Right now it's at like 8 1/2 hours off the charger and I'm at 50% with less than an hour of screen time. This is ridiculous. It has to be either GPS or WiFi though.

The top battery drainers seem to vary. It's either Android System, Google Services, Kernel, or System *wakelock.* I think it's the system wakelock that's causing the issues. I don't know what that is or how it works, but whenever it's there is when it seems to be worse. Any suggestions?

vctrrl

Reaction score
Last edited: