Home screen keeps crashing

calguy19

Reaction score
Droid X running GB 2.3.3. Recently home screen started "crashing" or resetting. Happens a couple times a day. Screen will suddenly jump to a recently run app, hitting BACK button takes it to another recently run app. To escape this loop, must hit HOME button. Home screen is blank except for wallpaper, then it restores to the shortcuts that are supposed to be on that page. App drawer groups are missing apps - takes a minute or so to restore all the app to the app drawer groups.

This problenm started a few weeks ago. Tried "clear data" from app manager, Home, then restore wallpaper as required. Didn't help. this seems to be happening several times a day, and is getting worse.

Anybody have a fix for this?​

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are you stock? Or what's your setup?
And you can try rebooting your phone into recovery and closing the cache partition

"I'll get you my little pretty... And your little dog todo too"
"I don't even have a little dog todo"

OP
C

calguy19

Reaction score
Phone is stock (unrooted).

Don't know nuthin' about recovery booting, or closing off some cache memory. Even if if I could, I wouldn't want to restrict the memory the phone needs to run.

Last time this happened, I went to manage apps, Home, and clicked "clear data". Requires some reconfiguartion after that, but it worked (about 6 months ago). the problem came back about 2 weeks ago, but that "fix" didn't work this time.

I also got a notification that an update from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 was available. I did the update, and now the shortcuts in the "downloaded apps" in the app drawer are gone.

This thing just keeps getting worse.

Savagerun

Reaction score
Like Nemo said try wiping the cache partition. It won't do any harm it just does some cleaning up.
To clear the cache partition just power off your phone then press your home button first and hold it in then press your power button and hold both buttons in till you see a triangle on the screen. Then press both volume buttons in at the same time. That will get you in recovery. Next use your volume button to scroll down to where it says wipe cache partition and select it with your power button. Once the cache is wiped select reboot system.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
C

calguy19

Reaction score
Thanks for the details on how to clean that partition/cache. But before I do something like that - what exactly does that do, and why would it prevent to phone from intermittently resetting the home screen? Have you guys seen that problem before? What causes it, and how does that fix resolve it?

OP
C

calguy19

Reaction score
Also in the App Manager - when selecting an app, there is an option called "clear cache". Is this the same cache, app by app, that is stored in the cache partition? Does performing that clear cache partition do the same thing as clearing all the individual apps' caches?

Since I'm not a superuser on these phones, I am reluctant to wipe a partition on my own phone.

brucefan42

Reaction score
Droid X running GB 2.3.3. Recently home screen started "crashing" or resetting. Happens a couple times a day. Screen will suddenly jump to a recently run app, hitting BACK button takes it to another recently run app. To escape this loop, must hit HOME button. Home screen is blank except for wallpaper, then it restores to the shortcuts that are supposed to be on that page. App drawer groups are missing apps - takes a minute or so to restore all the app to the app drawer groups.

This problenm started a few weeks ago. Tried "clear data" from app manager, Home, then restore wallpaper as required. Didn't help. this seems to be happening several times a day, and is getting worse.

Anybody have a fix for this?​

I have the same issue and I did not have it before the 621 update which rolled out on 2/22 (soak test) and to everyone else a couple of days later.

There is a fix, but the 621 update makes it impossible to use it. You need to root your phone and modify local.prop so that you keep your home screen/launcher in memory all the time. Of course, this will cause other things to crash occasionally (Google Search for example) but none are as noticeable or as annoying as waiting for your home screen to paint before you can use your phone again.