Gingerbread problems on Droid X

calguy19

Reaction score
I'm putting a list together summarizing the problems I've seen so far with Gingerbread 2.3.3 on the Droid X. Feel free to add to the list. Maybe someone around here knows someone at google who gives a crap and might be able to get them to fix the OS.

1. Compass API doesn't work. I'm told it's API #9. Google Maps, Mobile Observatory, SkEyE and other apps that point to the sky simply don't work. Other apps using the compass don't work reliably or don't work at all (north is south, east is west).

2. Power off phone and it turns back on (around 30 seconds later). I'm told using Pwr Off can trigger a crash which superceds the normal power off sequence. The phone crashes, goes thru its normal crash recovery, and turns back on. Could be embarrassing in some situations.

3. Disappearing shortcuts. Shortcuts on home screens or in folders can disappear. Apparently apps on SD card have the problem. Mounting phone (SD card) on computer with USB, unmounting, then rebooting the phone triggers the problem, and you have to restore all those shortcuts. Or move all those apps to the phone memory.

4. Contacts doesn't work as well as Froyo. Doesn't support birthdays and anniversaries. Display/fonts for contact info is less readable than with Froyo. A step back.

5. Phone gets confused. Home screen(s) suddenly go empty for a while. Wait around a minute or two, and it recovers.

6. Lights for the 4 buttons at the bottom of the phone have a mind of their own. Sometimes they come on, sometimes they don't. In low level lighting it can get confusing - you have to remember which button is which. Rebooting the phone makes them work again, for a while.

kevinkar

Reaction score
1) Yes, I see this too but have not calibrated the compass since receiving GB. I will try it outside later and see what happens.

2) That has happened to me twice. Turn the thing off and it magically turns on less than a minute later. I was wondering where the ghost was that turned it back on. Not sure what you mean about "Pwr Off ..... normal power off sequence" though. I have always just held the power button down until I get the list of options and then select power off. Which one is that?

3) That happens on all computers I've ever used. Some icon caching mechanism that gets corrupted and Android appears to be no different. I don't have any apps on the SD card yet as I still have a ton of space in memory but I do see this from time to time.

4) Agreed. No solution as far as I know.

5) Check to see if the phone is near a strong magnet and move away. That might be the issue.

6) I have an Otter Box rubber "condom" on my phone and it hides the 4 buttons. I never see them light up anymore!

OP
C

calguy19

Reaction score
1) Yes, I see this too but have not calibrated the compass since receiving GB. I will try it outside later and see what happens.

Won't help. It an OS bug.

2) That has happened to me twice. Turn the thing off and it magically turns on less than a minute later. I was wondering where the ghost was that turned it back on. Not sure what you mean about "Pwr Off ..... normal power off sequence" though. I have always just held the power button down until I get the list of options and then select power off. Which one is that?

Standard method to turn off phone holding down pwr button and selecting appropriate option.

3) That happens on all computers I've ever used. Some icon caching mechanism that gets corrupted and Android appears to be no different. I don't have any apps on the SD card yet as I still have a ton of space in memory but I do see this from time to time.

No, it's an OS bug and how OS handles apps on SD card.

4) Agreed. No solution as far as I know.

Solution is for google to make contacts work properly.

5) Check to see if the phone is near a strong magnet and move away. That might be the issue.

No. It's an OS bug. All problems I reported have been researched and checked out before posting here.

6) I have an Otter Box rubber "condom" on my phone and it hides the 4 buttons. I never see them light up anymore!

It will light up. Sometimes. And only when the OS decides to.

These are all Operating System bugs that google needs to fix. When you pay around $200 for a "phone" and also get locked in to a 2 year contract at 90 bucks per month, you deserve to have a device that works properly and does what it's supposed to do. Whether google will do that depends on how important we are to them in comparison to their "other" projects.

crundle

Reaction score
Screen Graying Out

What about the fact that my screen has a grayish line at the very bottom covering the dock that comes and goes? Is this an OS problem?

kevinkar

Reaction score
What about the fact that my screen has a grayish line at the very bottom covering the dock that comes and goes? Is this an OS problem?
I think you are referring to the goofy "curtain" that slides up which seems to indicate you've scrolled down the screen as far as it can go and it can't go no more? That only appears if I scroll down and try to scroll more. Just a transparent effect that serves no purpose only to be different from what it was before (no transparent effect).

If that's what you are referring to then that's not an OS problem. It's a new feature! Albeit a useless stupid one.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any of those issues except for #6, but I use adjbrightness to lock the button lights off

SkyNet Liberty AOSP

roady

Reaction score
I got number 2.. I thought I was going crazy the first few times.

wantit

Reaction score
I also get the magical power on, happened 4 or 5 times now. this is the only issue I have since gb update, so i'm not gonna cry too loud!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Question: how many of y'all have wiped data since you got the GB OTA?

Apex 2.0 Revolution

pool_shark

Reaction score
I did. Prior to doing a factory reset I had reboots every few minutes.

crundle

Reaction score
No that's not what I'm talking about. Its not the curtain that you pull down-- it's a gray line that is across all screens on my phone like a partial brick where the whole screen goes black. This is just a gray line that blocks out the bottom half of my screen where the dock is.

69haydenD

Reaction score
On my first DROID x I updated to GB and it bricked my phone. I got a replacement with GB already on it. I got the phone 1day ago and the external buttons (back, home, menu, search, vol +/-, camera) don't work most of the time. It happened to me on the first one also. :(

mka

Reaction score
Hello, since I upgraded to gingerbread I have noticed problem with the market. It doesn't print or lists updates I need or list all my
Downloaded apps. Also on the keyboard I get words when I hit the space bar, not the period. But one function I like on the keyboard that only pops up once in a while is a block with arrow shows up next to the space bar. It really help when going from email address to
Password field. Also experiencing the turning back on afterturning off.

mka