Holy Hot Droid 2!

JessIsOK

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a Droid 2 with the extended life battery. I'm not as smart as many of you and haven't done anything fancy with my Droid, and for the most part, I don't have any issues with it.

Until recently... On Monday, I unplugged it from the charger at 7:30 a.m. and by 10:30 a.m., it had 5% battery left, was running painfully SLOWLY, and was very hot! I sent probably 5 text messages in those 3 hours, and nothing else.

I charged my Droid back to a full charge and it still drained the battery super fast, ran slowly, and got really hot, so I powered it off and turned it back on. Then it was back to normal.

Until today... I browsed the web for a few minutes at lunch. During those 5 minutes, it started running super-slow, the battery went from 50% to 30% in a matter of minutes, and the top rear part of the phone got really hot. Once again, I turned it off, then back on and now it's fine and consuming battery at a regular pace.

Other things that I've seen mentioned in discussions similar to this that I think bear mentioning: GPS is off, display is quite dim and only for 30 seconds. I use Spare Parts, and it looks like what's consumes the battery the most is "Motorola Services". Ironically, when I looked at what was running during the time when it got hot and slowed down, Motorola Services had just started.

Ummm, what do Motorola Services do? And is it normal for them to make my Droid behave in this manner? Could it possibly be something wrong with my Droid? (Somehow I suspect the problem is me, but I've learned quite a lot on here, so I hope that it's not). Is there ANYTHING I can do to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Jess

Khiraji

Reaction score
Hmmm. Hard to say exactly - might be a rogue app going nutty in the background. It might also be lots of stuff uploading/downloading - 3G consumes a lot of power, and if the problem is both 3G- and CPU-intensive, your battery is going to dry up quickly.

Did you install anything prior to noticing this problem? When you look at the stock batter stats ([Menu] -> settings -> battery manager -> usage statistics) is anything out of the ordinary?

Viktorr

Reaction score
Download OSMonitor from the android store. Open it up and go into the settings menu. Click the Sort By button and select Load, go back a page and check the box for Order to sort by descending order. Now, once your phone acts up again, you can go into OSMonitor and see what PID is using up your CPU.

This should give you a better idea of what is happening so the problem can be pinpointed, but won't know until it happens.

EDIT: Also, you may want to download Watchdog lite. While this program gives less information than OSMonitor, it provides you with an audible alert when an app is misbehaving and using up a lot of your CPU for an extended period of time, and you can blacklist that app from running (i.e. set a CPU threshold for that particular app, paid version only) or kill that single task right then.

Last edited:

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Check your Facebook app if you have one. 1.6 update has a bug causing constant status updates. It's chewing through batteries and heating up phones. According to phandroid, uninstall then reinstall fixes the issue. Could be your problem. I had the issue on my phone.

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
J

JessIsOK

Reaction score
You guys are awesome, thank you for your responses.

Khiraji--Thanks for your suggestion. I actually uninstalled a couple of apps when this started happening, but I really don't have many apps on my phone. The only apps that run all day are a countdown widget (for an upcoming trip to Hawaii), the weather widget that came with the phone, and umm, actually, that's all. I have some others on my phone (i.e. Fat Booth, Peter Griffin Soundboard, etc., but none of them run unless I turn them on.) I also use the Motorola Social widgets, but have been killing them manually since this started. Do you think it could be any of those?

To answer your question regarding anything out of the ordinary, please forgive me if what I'm about to say makes me sound like a complete idiot. When I go into Usage Statistics, there is nothing out of the ordinary. But if I look in Spare Parts, something called "init" uses a ton of CPU, even more than Android OS. I tried searching the forums for "init", but didn't come up with much, and what I did find didn't make any sense to me. Again, I'm sorry if this is something that should take up a lot of CPU and I sound like a total moron, but I wasn't able to find anything so I could research before mentioning it. :)

Viktorr--I downloaded both of those apps and will post the results next time it happens. Thank you for the suggestions, they both look like they'll be useful and helpful apps!

Droid Firefighter--Thank you also for your input. I don't use the Facebook App (because it can't read my mind and work the way I want it to, LOL), but I do have the Motorola Social widget. I've been killing it so it doesn't run since this started, but do you think it could be something related to that?

Thank you again for all of your suggestions. I really appreciate the help!

Jess

Little812

Reaction score
Display taking 70%

My display is taking up 70% of my battery life.... normal or should it raise concern?

Viktorr

Reaction score
My display is taking up 70% of my battery life.... normal or should it raise concern?

Depends. Do you use your phone often or does it tend to sit idle for long periods of time? If it is sitting idle, not being used for long periods of time and still taking up 70% then I'd suspect your screen isn't turning off properly. Some people here have reported that kind of issue before. Screen would be black, but you could faintly see it was still lit up.

OP
J

JessIsOK

Reaction score
A Month Later

So, it's been just over a month since I posted this question. I followed the suggestions listed here, and am still having trouble. In fact, it started doing a new thing where it was on the charger all night long and only charged to 40% (from 20%). I turned it off and it charged to 90% in just about an hour. It mixes up my contacts, and sends my text messages to the wrong people (assuming it even sends the message, which is pretty hit or miss, too.)

I'm incredibly frustrated and disappointed with my Droid 2. When I went into the store to get a new phone, I just wanted a phone that would text and make calls. I really wasn't interested in a smartphone. Now that I've had this for awhile, I love having apps and I realize that I like doing more than just texting and talking with my phone.

I can't help but wonder if I'm expecting too much from my device, but then I see/hear what other people are doing successfully with theirs and they're doing so much more than I'm able to (like actually using their apps). As much as I hate the thought of getting another D2 that hopefully won't have all the issues this one has, I don't know what else to do.

km75

Reaction score
So, it's been just over a month since I posted this question. I followed the suggestions listed here, and am still having trouble. In fact, it started doing a new thing where it was on the charger all night long and only charged to 40% (from 20%). I turned it off and it charged to 90% in just about an hour. It mixes up my contacts, and sends my text messages to the wrong people (assuming it even sends the message, which is pretty hit or miss, too.)

I'm incredibly frustrated and disappointed with my Droid 2. When I went into the store to get a new phone, I just wanted a phone that would text and make calls. I really wasn't interested in a smartphone. Now that I've had this for awhile, I love having apps and I realize that I like doing more than just texting and talking with my phone.

I can't help but wonder if I'm expecting too much from my device, but then I see/hear what other people are doing successfully with theirs and they're doing so much more than I'm able to (like actually using their apps). As much as I hate the thought of getting another D2 that hopefully won't have all the issues this one has, I don't know what else to do.

Just curious. Between then and now did you try doing a factory reset? Only reason i ask is because i noticed that no one suggested that to you.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
J

JessIsOK

Reaction score
Hi there,

Thanks for the suggestion. No, I did not try a factory reset. I'm sort of scared to because I don't want to lose everything. If I do one, are there any steps I can take to save as much stuff from my phone as possible?

On a sort of related note--if the factory reset is unsuccessful at solving my issues, is there any way to move everything from my current one to a replacement?

Thank you!

Jess