Extended Battery on Droid 2 draining FAST!

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Okay so I've had my Droid 2 with the extended battery for about 3 weeks now. I always got good battery life. Lasted a full day and then some. Saturday however, I took the phone off the charger at 7:00 a.m., and by 10:00 a.m it was down to 60%!!! and I hadent touched or used the phone at all. I just shut it off for a couple of hours and then I turned it back on later, and it was just about dead by 8:00 p.m. after using it maybe 10 minutes.

So right now I was charging it, and it was at 20% forever, then finally went to 30% and started going up. It gets to 90%, and stays there for a while, then I notice it goes down to 80% WHILE on the charger the whole time. This has only happened when I'm charging it in the car while streaming pandora, but never while charging it at home without using it and on the extended battery.

I have no task killer, my brightness is set to automatic, and I havent downloaded any new apps since this started happening. The only thing I did do the night before the nasty battery draining started was update my PRL, but no one has really helped out in that topic. So does anyone have any idea what it could be or how to find out?

After I saw it drop to 80%, I pulled it off the charger and it dropped to 70% after a minute or so -_-

I just took the battery off, and the battery wasnt as hot as I was expecting, but the silver part next to where the memory card is was very hot.

johnzenobia

Reaction score
lithium batteries are nice because they won't get a "memory" effect like the old nickel one's however as they get hot from being on the charger or in the sun ( in car on windshield) they will discharge at a faster rate. If you google how a lithium battery works you will understand better. I have placed my phone in a holder in my car right in front of the air conditioner vent and when it stays cool the battery lasts a lot longer.

OP
Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Well that makes sense, but it's just weird because I don't think I've done anything different. I mean, maybe the battery is just getting hotter on its own, but I'm not leaving it in the sun or anything like that =\

everstar80

Reaction score
Maybe it is a defective battery. Do you still have time to replace it. There have been numerous reports of poor baterry life with both the stock and extended batteries. I have great battery life, I wonder if during the makig of some these batteries were just defective and maybe they need a recall of some of these phones. Take it to tech support at vzw and tell them what problems you're habing. Maybe give Motorola a call too because the foru has had several of these threads.

OP
Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
Yeah I've seen battery life problems, but I didnt see any threads on problems with the extended battery (or I didnt look hard enough). It's just frustrating. I want to take it in to Verizon bu I also don't want them to take my Droid 2 and look through it because it's rooted, and I don't want to unroot just to take it in for the battery. When I went to bed last night it was at 100%. I woke up 7 hours later and it was at 50%. It used to only go down by 20% at most :(

Right now I'm on the verizon website seeing if I get a prompt to speak to someone on livechat and see if they can help me out.