driod razr getting hot!!!!!!

jaye712

Reaction score
U done a fdr already iam guessing?backup ur important stuff n erase the rest?if anything,if u dont have any patients like i do..i would replace it,with insurance,theyll send it within the nxt day..start frm scratch..ohh..i forgot to ask,what version u on?6.6._ _ _?if u do the 215 leak it might solve ur problem..

DROIDRAZR215"unrooted"

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Welcome to DF m3racer. Hopefully you have resolved your problem but if not, turn your phone off and charge it to 100%. Because something is overloading your phone's resources and draining your battery you will need to get your battery to full to troubleshoot what is causing the problem. If not, you run the risk of a dangerous deep discharge which will make it impossible to charge the battery or to turn on the phone.

Once your battery is full, turn the phone on. Turn off Wi-Fi, your data, and auto sync. These are things that can drain and heat up your phone if not working properly. We can turn those back on when we figure a few other things out.

Like jaye said, the problem could be Auto task killer. Either uninstall that or force stop it from the app settings menu.

Make sure your phone is not on global data mode. Go into settings ---> more... (under data usage) ---> mobile networks ---> network mode ---> select LTE/CDMA.

Turn off phone, carefully take out your SIM card (they are delicate) and your sdcard. Carefully clean your sdcard contacts with a pencil eracer. Turn phone on with no SIM card. Turn it back off. Carefully put your SIM and sdcard back in. Power up your phone.

Turn data on. Double check to make sure it is not on global mode.

If it starts getting hot again or excessively draining your battery, you may need to get a new sim card. They are free at a free at a Verizon store.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

WOW!! Tis, you are evolving faster than the human race relative to the dinosaurs! I am duly floored at your level of technical wizardry and prowess. Could you teach me some of your knowledge because this post blew me away! :hail:

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Welcome to DF xhostel. Sounds like something is bogging down your system. Quick things to try:

-press and hold volume down and the power button for about 10 seconds until it restarts.
-if no improvement, power down phone, leave off for about 5 minutes, then power back on.
-go into recovery to wipe cache partition. With phone off, press and hold volume+, volume- and power buttons at same time. Use volume- to navigate to recovery. Use volume+ to select recovery. When get to the dead Android guy, hold both volume buttons at same time. Use volume- to navigate to wipe cache partition. Select use power button. When done select reboot system using power button.

Just when you knock my socks off with an extremely impressive post and I complement you, I read on and you do it again. :rating10:

Xhostel

Reaction score
U done a fdr already iam guessing?backup ur important stuff n erase the rest?if anything,if u dont have any patients like i do..i would replace it,with insurance,theyll send it within the nxt day..start frm scratch..ohh..i forgot to ask,what version u on?6.6._ _ _?if u do the 215 leak it might solve ur problem..

DROIDRAZR215"unrooted"
im on version 4.0.4 and 215 leak? lol i guess there is a lot more for me to learn about this phone >_< lol

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
So my phone is still doing everything that i mentioned in my first post. Is there anything else that i can do? or is my phone dead :(

DROIDRAZR215"unrooted"

I concur with Jaye regarding what version of the OS you are running. We're all assuming you are on ICS, and that you are running the most recent OTA version, .211. If so, we would like to push you to .215. MattyP (from our Rescue Squad - same as Tis), has a thread devoted to upgrading to .215 http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/217843-mattyps-215-leak-classroom.html. If you are already running .215, then Tis's recommendation should be followed first - wipe the Cache and allow the phone to rebuild its instruction set.

Also, I have found that having too many apps installed, even if not running will bog down the phone and make it very laggy. Then there's the problem of background services running that take up resources, and every once in a while one of them will get caught in a perpetual sync'ing situation. It seems that those problems continue often even after reboots, so the only way to reverse the problem is to go into Apps, Manage, and clear the Data for those apps. For me it was Motocast. It would start and run constantly, and rebooting didn't stop it. I could kill the app, reboot the phone and it would come back and start all over again, draining the battery and making the phone hot. I cleared the data, killed the app, rebooted, and the problem went away and hasn't returned.

LOTS of the things we experience with these phones are 100% related to the apps running or installed in them. The amount of available ram will also have impact, so if you are running LOTS of widgets, live wallpaper, sync's from Facebook, Picasa, Motocast, Dropbox, Box, or any number of other "cloud" based apps, you will find the battery getting sucked dry quickly as these tools and services are transmitting and receiving massive amounts of data in the background. If you have lots of apps running at once, you need to shut them down. Press and hold the Home button until it vibrates and then release. You will now have a list (images of the screens) of all apps that are either running or have been cached so they can restart quickly. Swipe the ones you don't need running to the left or right to stop them completely and release the ram they are occupying. This will free up ram so the phone can more efficiently manage space and lagginess will go away.

I found a nice little widget that lets me see what the available ram is at any time. It uses nearly no system resources but provides valuable information. It's called Memory Status Widget. I like it because it isn't one of those all-in-one tools that take up large system space and resources. It gives me what I need and not much more. I have it running on the home screen and when I pull up the running apps, I can see it in the background. As I kill running apps, I watch the widget respond with higher reported ram available.

Go through the apps you have installed and give careful consideration to whether you are using them, or if they are taking up wasted space. If you don't need them, uninstall them. The less you have installed, the leaner and snappier your phone will be.

To put it bluntly, your phone isn't "dead :(". I guarantee that it will be back to working normally if you follow the troubleshooting recommendations here in this thread. Don't use a task killer! The phone has its own memory management system. If you want to kill a running app, do it the way described above. Also, go through the pre-installed apps, such as Madden Football and Golf. If you REALLY don't need them, UNINSTALL them. In fact, I've uninstalled every pre-installed app I could, and have "disabled" most others (from within the apps management section).

If all else fails, a FDR will put your phone back into normal working order, but will require you to go through setup and re-installation of apps, etc. Still, that's better than what you are suffering through now.

Keep us apprised of the situation and progress.

Good luck! :biggrin:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
im on version 4.0.4 and 215 leak? lol i guess there is a lot more for me to learn about this phone >_< lol

OK, so when you "upgraded" to the .215 leak, did you do an FDR afterwards? If not, that could be the whole problem. There are some who believe (and have good reason with their own experience to) that doing two FDRs is better than one. The same holds true with regard to wiping the Cache. We've seen phones that were exhibiting the symptom you both describe, and once the FDR is done, the problems are gone for good. I would suggest you follow the initial troubleshooting tips above first, but if they don't work, FDR is your final step.

There is a couple other interim troubleshooting steps you can take; Bootin into Safe mode (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/200128-accessing-safe-mode-your-razr.html) allows you to see the phone working with no user-installed applications running to see if the problem goes away. If so, then you have something (or things) installed that are at the root and are creating problems for the system. This will help to isolate the "problem" user-installed applications. If you are rooted, you may also wish to install AdAway. It's been noted that these advertisements which are designed to help support the developers who offer their software for free, actually also use quite a bit of data and can contribute to lag and also to heating of the phone.

Note: MattyP is the new resident expert on the .215 leak and as mentioned has a stickied thread devoted to all things .215. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/217843-mattyps-215-leak-classroom.html

jaye712

Reaction score
Xhostel said:

Ohh snap..i would replace it..if u done everything u could,do it..with me,this would be my 4th replacement n i finally not wanting to replace anymore after i learned alot..especially frm the good folks on here..it takes time to learn,..hell..iam still learning lol(jst my battery problems now)..i aint even close too the top with the main heads on here yet..like foxkat,mattyp,94,n tis..iam still a student LOL

DROIDRAZR215"unrooted"

jaye712

Reaction score
FoxKat said:
I concur with Jaye regarding what version of the OS you are running. We're all assuming you are on ICS, and that you are running the most recent OTA version, .211. If so, we would like to push you to .215. MattyP (from our Rescue Squad - same as Tis), has a thread devoted to upgrading to .215 http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/217843-mattyps-215-leak-classroom.html. If you are already running .215, then Tis's recommendation should be followed first - wipe the Cache and allow the phone to rebuild its instruction set.

Also, I have found that having too many apps installed, even if not running will bog down the phone and make it very laggy. Then there's the problem of background services running that take up resources, and every once in a while one of them will get caught in a perpetual sync'ing situation. It seems that those problems continue often even after reboots, so the only way to reverse the problem is to go into Apps, Manage, and clear the Data for those apps. For me it was Motocast. It would start and run constantly, and rebooting didn't stop it. I could kill the app, reboot the phone and it would come back and start all over again, draining the battery and making the phone hot. I cleared the data, killed the app, rebooted, and the problem went away and hasn't returned.

LOTS of the things we experience with these phones are 100% related to the apps running or installed in them. The amount of available ram will also have impact, so if you are running LOTS of widgets, live wallpaper, sync's from Facebook, Picasa, Motocast, Dropbox, Box, or any number of other "cloud" based apps, you will find the battery getting sucked dry quickly as these tools and services are transmitting and receiving massive amounts of data in the background. If you have lots of apps running at once, you need to shut them down. Press and hold the Home button until it vibrates and then release. You will now have a list (images of the screens) of all apps that are either running or have been cached so they can restart quickly. Swipe the ones you don't need running to the left or right to stop them completely and release the ram they are occupying. This will free up ram so the phone can more efficiently manage space and lagginess will go away.

I found a nice little widget that lets me see what the available ram is at any time. It uses nearly no system resources but provides valuable information. It's called Memory Status Widget. I like it because it isn't one of those all-in-one tools that take up large system space and resources. It gives me what I need and not much more. I have it running on the home screen and when I pull up the running apps, I can see it in the background. As I kill running apps, I watch the widget respond with higher reported ram available.

Go through the apps you have installed and give careful consideration to whether you are using them, or if they are taking up wasted space. If you don't need them, uninstall them. The less you have installed, the leaner and snappier your phone will be.

To put it bluntly, your phone isn't "dead :(". I guarantee that it will be back to working normally if you follow the troubleshooting recommendations here in this thread. Don't use a task killer! The phone has its own memory management system. If you want to kill a running app, do it the way described above. Also, go through the pre-installed apps, such as Madden Football and Golf. If you REALLY don't need them, UNINSTALL them. In fact, I've uninstalled every pre-installed app I could, and have "disabled" most others (from within the apps management section).

If all else fails, a FDR will put your phone back into normal working order, but will require you to go through setup and re-installation of apps, etc. Still, that's better than what you are suffering through now.

Holy cow,imma screenshot this lol..good tips fox

DROIDRAZR215"unrooted"

Xhostel

Reaction score

Thanks for all the help im going to be doing this and I may sound noobish lol but what is version .211 the only version i see is 4.0.4

Xhostel

Reaction score
You can totally scratch what I put last lol! I was able to update it to .215 and the phone is so far so good :) thanks for all the help everyone it is greatly appreciated.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Xhostel said:
You can totally scratch what I put last lol! I was able to update it to .215 and the phone is so far so good :) thanks for all the help everyone it is greatly appreciated.

That is super xhostel! We got your back. Did you also do a factory data reset? Sometimes that seems like the most time consuming, laborious fix but actually ends up being the quickest easiest fix.

And to FoxKat and MattyP... lol on your assessment of my suggestions/advice! Thank you for the kudos! Pretty much everything I know about android I learned right here on DF. Very little is what I learned by happenstance.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
MattyP said:
She's putting me to shame :blink:

Are you kidding me? You and Sydman put me to shame when it comes to flashing, rooting and unbricking!!!