driod razr getting hot!!!!!!

m3racer84

Reaction score
So i got my RAZR in April, its worked fine till last night. The battery drained from 70 percent to dead in about 30 minutes. The screen got hot so let cool down and charged it while it was off. Woke up this morning turned my phone on , went to my advanced task killer and turned everything off. Turned the screen off came back and the phone would not turn on at all. After a half hour of the screen black but the button display on the bottom of the phone is lit up the whole time, the phone reboots and loads but you cant unlock it at all. Battery dies after an hour or so and phones hot enough to feel it through my phone cover. Anyone else have this problem?

jaye712

Reaction score
m3racer84 said:
So i got my RAZR in April, its worked fine till last night. The battery drained from 70 percent to dead in about 30 minutes. The screen got hot so let cool down and charged it while it was off. Woke up this morning turned my phone on , went to my advanced task killer and turned everything off. Turned the screen off came back and the phone would not turn on at all. After a half hour of the screen black but the button display on the bottom of the phone is lit up the whole time, the phone reboots and loads but you cant unlock it at all. Battery dies after an hour or so and phones hot enough to feel it through my phone cover. Anyone else have this problem?

Haha..ohh noo..ok lets see..iam not sure if anyone else ever had this issue with advanced task killer..but as for me?i had that app with my 2nd replacement(brand new) n it literally killed my phone as u described..i would recommend takin that app off ur phone..like seriously lol..mines got so bad that i had to get yet"another replacement.. nvr agian i will mess with that app....if u can,i would replace it n start over like i did(i learned my lesson with apps like that)..up to you but if its too much of a hassle iam sure the folks on here will be happy to help u...

DROIDRAZR215"unrooted"

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to DF m3racer. Hopefully you have resolved your problem but if not, turn your phone off and charge it to 100%. Because something is overloading your phone's resources and draining your battery you will need to get your battery to full to troubleshoot what is causing the problem. If not, you run the risk of a dangerous deep discharge which will make it impossible to charge the battery or to turn on the phone.

Once your battery is full, turn the phone on. Turn off Wi-Fi, your data, and auto sync. These are things that can drain and heat up your phone if not working properly. We can turn those back on when we figure a few other things out.

Like jaye said, the problem could be Auto task killer. Either uninstall that or force stop it from the app settings menu.

Make sure your phone is not on global data mode. Go into settings ---> more... (under data usage) ---> mobile networks ---> network mode ---> select LTE/CDMA.

Turn off phone, carefully take out your SIM card (they are delicate) and your sdcard. Carefully clean your sdcard contacts with a pencil eracer. Turn phone on with no SIM card. Turn it back off. Carefully put your SIM and sdcard back in. Power up your phone.

Turn data on. Double check to make sure it is not on global mode.

If it starts getting hot again or excessively draining your battery, you may need to get a new sim card. They are free at a free at a Verizon store.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

jaye712

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
Welcome to DF m3racer. Hopefully you have resolved your problem but if not, turn your phone off and charge it to 100%. Because something is overloading your phone's resources and draining your battery you will need to get your battery to full to troubleshoot what is causing the problem. If not, you run the risk of a dangerous deep discharge which will make it impossible to charge the battery or to turn on the phone.

Once your battery is full, turn the phone on. Turn off Wi-Fi, your data, and auto sync. These are things that can drain and heat up your phone if not working properly. We can turn those back on when we figure a few other things out.

Like jaye said, the problem could be Auto task killer. Either uninstall that or force stop it from the app settings menu.

Make sure your phone is not on global data mode. Go into settings ---> more... (under data usage) ---> mobile networks ---> network mode ---> select LTE/CDMA.

Turn off phone, carefully take out your SIM card (they are delicate) and your sdcard. Carefully clean your sdcard contacts with a pencil eracer. Turn phone on with no SIM card. Turn it back off. Carefully put your SIM and sdcard back in. Power up your phone.

Turn data on. Double check to make sure it is not on global mode.

If it starts getting hot again or excessively draining your battery, you may need to get a new sim card. They are free at a free at a Verizon store.

Take it frm tis n see if it wrks if u need too..been helpin me with my problems..i would definitely take atk out of ur phone..in some ways,frm what i experienced with that app,,i dont think its safe for ur phone..at all...its not a must have..it already has a taskmanager built in...like"when u hold the home key n swipe off the running apps u think u closed"..

DROIDRAZR215"unrooted"

Last2No

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tried all of the listed "Fix" procedures. The only one that worked was LTE ON/OFF. Install it from the market and set to CDMA auto PRL. We are in a "no 4G" area. If you are in the same boat or a fringe area it may work for you too. Now the phone does not heat up while in a pocket and the battery life is MAXX --- 63% after 10 hours of use.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I tried all of the listed "Fix" procedures. The only one that worked was LTE ON/OFF. Install it from the market and set to CDMA auto PRL. We are in a "no 4G" area. If you are in the same boat or a fringe area it may work for you too. Now the phone does not heat up while in a pocket and the battery life is MAXX --- 63% after 10 hours of use.

IMHO, this should be sop for anybody that's got a 4g device in a 3g area. The 4g radio searches for 4g.... and that makes it hot and suck down battery.

As for the app killer. The reason you don't use app killers is because they kill apps that are needed.. also ics does an awesome job of managing apps on its own.. and last but not least.. app killers can cause connectivity issues..

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wow last2no, that is awesome that LTE on/off has given you those great results. I agree ... if you are in a 3g area or weak 4g area then use 3g only mode. I wonder if it is even worse if you are in a weak 4g area. My theory is that the phone will keep detecting the weak 4g signal and keep trying to connect to the 4g. But if you have no 4g at all, then your phone is happy to stay 3g without trying for 4g.

I live in a no 4g area but I do not ever have my phone on data long enough to see what happens on 4g/3g mode. I might have to test my theory out somedaysomehow.

jaye712

Reaction score
94lt1 said:
IMHO, this should be sop for anybody that's got a 4g device in a 3g area. The 4g radio searches for 4g.... and that makes it hot and suck down battery.

As for the app killer. The reason you don't use app killers is because they kill apps that are needed.. also ics does an awesome job of managing apps on its own.. and last but not least.. app killers can cause connectivity issues..

What 94 jst said^^

DROIDRAZR215"unrooted"

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Wow last2no, that is awesome that LTE on/off has given you those great results. I agree ... if you are in a 3g area or weak 4g area then use 3g only mode. I wonder if it is even worse if you are in a weak 4g area. My theory is that the phone will keep detecting the weak 4g signal and keep trying to connect to the 4g. But if you have no 4g at all, then your phone is happy to stay 3g without trying for 4g.

I live in a no 4g area but I do not ever have my phone on data long enough to see what happens on 4g/3g mode. I might have to test my theory out somedaysomehow.

Yes.. in a weak 4g area.. your battery life will take a big hit. The time I got 40+ hours on my play maxx... I was in Beaumont.. 20k up, 20k down. Awesome 4g...

At my house, I have a poor signal. And I'm lucky to get 24 hours on a charge with little usage. If I don't use it at all and let sa kill the radios... I can get 30.. just standby though.

I can get 6.5 hours of straight screen on time at home too.

But if I'm constantly using the phone, it keeps looking for a signal.. and my battery can get wiped in 12 hours.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The worse the signal the more energy the device will use to stay in communication with the towers... it takes more juice to shoot a signal to the tower, and to get that signal back with a poor signal.

Xhostel

Reaction score
So im kinda having the same problems as you are having. But recently my phone has started to heat up very fast even when not on charger and not in use, it also is very laggy going into apps or even trying to type something out. Also it doesnt want to type anything at all. At times I would text someone leave it be let it lock on its own and when i would go to reply to either a txt or something where i have to type, it will let me hit the different letters but it won't show up on the screen at all and i cannot send a message. Can someone help me is it a bug or virus? has anyone else encountered this problem. Any help will be great :)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to DF xhostel. Sounds like something is bogging down your system. Quick things to try:

-press and hold volume down and the power button for about 10 seconds until it restarts.
-if no improvement, power down phone, leave off for about 5 minutes, then power back on.
-go into recovery to wipe cache partition. With phone off, press and hold volume+, volume- and power buttons at same time. Use volume- to navigate to recovery. Use volume+ to select recovery. When get to the dead Android guy, hold both volume buttons at same time. Use volume- to navigate to wipe cache partition. Select use power button. When done select reboot system using power button.

Xhostel

Reaction score
Welcome to DF xhostel. Sounds like something is bogging down your system. Quick things to try:

-press and hold volume down and the power button for about 10 seconds until it restarts.
-if no improvement, power down phone, leave off for about 5 minutes, then power back on.
-go into recovery to wipe cache partition. With phone off, press and hold volume+, volume- and power buttons at same time. Use volume- to navigate to recovery. Use volume+ to select recovery. When get to the dead Android guy, hold both volume buttons at same time. Use volume- to navigate to wipe cache partition. Select use power button. When done select reboot system using power button.

Thanks for the help im going to try it out and hope that it works :)

Xhostel

Reaction score
So my phone is still doing everything that i mentioned in my first post. Is there anything else that i can do? or is my phone dead :(