Hiding pic's

briankeith513

Reaction score

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't buy any apps, just put the period in front of the folder name like mentioned above or to avoid even going into a file manager on the phone, just open Notepad (or similar on a mac or linux) and save a blank file as ".nomedia" (make sure when you save, change File Type to "All Files" instead of documents). Now drag that file into any folder and the gallery won't look there :D

Note: don't right click and create a new document and try to rename it because it won't let you. You have to open notepad and file save then name it .nomedia and choose "All Files" then it will save. You can copy/paste this to any folders with "special" content ;)

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that works for music and videos as well but I've only tried it with pics so far

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now I just need to find out how to keep album art out of the gallery :|

All I can think of is embedding it into the mp3s which would take forever.

namelessNN

Reaction score
Now I just need to find out how to keep album art out of the gallery :|

All I can think of is embedding it into the mp3s which would take forever.
i've always embedded the album art into each mp3 so i don't have this issue. it takes time but if you get a program called tag&rename it can be achieved very easily (just in a lot of time) :)

posphone

Reaction score
Don't buy any apps, just put the period in front of the folder name like mentioned above or to avoid even going into a file manager on the phone, just open Notepad (or similar on a mac or linux) and save a blank file as ".nomedia" (make sure when you save, change File Type to "All Files" instead of documents). Now drag that file into any folder and the gallery won't look there :D

Note: don't right click and create a new document and try to rename it because it won't let you. You have to open notepad and file save then name it .nomedia and choose "All Files" then it will save. You can copy/paste this to any folders with "special" content ;)

Ok this worked and hid the files :icon_eek:. Now how do I view them or email them?
I have kids who love to play with my new toy, but I still need to forward all my goodies to my friends when its my turn to play.

Anonymouse

Reaction score
Yeah, the problem with naming folders with .'s is, how do you find them in the future? Do you have to change the name and remove the .?

JLCollier2005

Reaction score
so i was trying to find a way to hide videos more than photos, but I've confirmed that my method works for both. This will make them easily viewed and sent, but will not appear in the gallery. All you'll need is Astro downloaded and pick two fake file extentions, one for video and one for photos...I used non for video and hah for pictures, and reference them as below.

1. create a folder through Astro (or when connected to your computer) named whatever you want. Mine is simply named Videos.

2. Within Astro, go to the preferences, and click edit file extentions. Add two new extentions, First one, for videos, would be non and the mime type is video. The second would be hah and mime type image. Leave subtype blank.

3. move all your photos/videos into that folder (if theres more than a couple, easier to use your computer for step 3 and 4)

4. Rename all photos with the .hah extension and videos with the .non.

They will not appear in gallery, but can easily be accessed within Astro. This will actually hide the pictures and videos from most non droid users even if they are computer smart. If you're worried more, than do the hide folder trick in Astro right before you hand over the phone.

hope this helps others hide there "naughty files" =)

justbob

Reaction score
Folks, be careful with the .nomedia tag. There's talk in the Android dev forums that it can cause the phone to delete media files in the affected directories, not just ignore them. This affects all versions of Android up to and including 2.0.1.

The general consensus is that you have to create .nomedia before you start moving files into the directory to avoid the auto-delete behavior.

Last edited:

Nickmast

Reaction score
all i'd really like is a way for the images to NOT appear in the ALL IMAGES folder. i don't want to have to go through a hassle when i DO want to find the images. i just don't want the gallery to pop up and BAM, there's a pic of my gf naked for the world to see.

Send them over to me and I will show you how to hide them. :)

canenation

Reaction score
picture safe is good but only lets you email "private photos" , you can send them as MMS....