Hey look!., I'm sheriff woody..., howdy howdy howdy.

Zalan

Reaction score
Greetings one and all, dancedroid
I am new to the site and like the strange robotic message I received said, I decided to say hello. :) I'm new to the whole rooting and Rom scene, but not new to the Android scene. I bought the original droid the day it came out for Verizon. Now I've moved up in the world of smart phones (sometime ago actually, when it was also first available for purchase) to my Droid 2. I was less then impressed by the speed of the standard UI as i was used to my old original droid. So i was told early on that Launcher pro was a better launcher and that it sped up the droid. So i kicked it around for a few months, but was still never truly satisfied with its performance considering the fact that it boasted an almost 80% faster processor then its older sibling. So i figured, it must be the hardware. I took my phone into the store and they had a new one sent to me. Rinse and repeat a couple of times, and now I concluded that it was almost certainly Verizon / Motorola related. So now I'm here. I'm excited to get my droid working to meet my expectations of its hardware specifications. I already successfully rooted my droid 2 running whatever the most recent update is with z4Root, and created a backup of everything using D2 Bootstrapper. Now I'm poised for the moment of truth, (and most likely moment of trial and error) finding my preferred ROM. So if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to reply or message me directly. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to talking to you all.

Bang Pow Boom

Reaction score
Welcome! It will definitely be trial and error. Just remember every phone reacts different to every rom.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
Zalan

Zalan

Reaction score
Can someone refer me to a part of this site or elsewhere that can give me a sort of overview of the ROM installation process. I'm highly proficient with computers, but am nervous to just start trying random things. Don't want a brick'd phone on my hands. Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

superpopmonk

Reaction score
You are a going to hear this a lot but ill be the first I guess. Backup everything. Titanium backup is excellent to keep all the data of your apps... its wonderful. And nandroid backups are of course a must. Similar to the process of backing up a computer, which I recomend you do immediately.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
Zalan

Zalan

Reaction score
Yes, I read that its essential, and thus I purchased D2 Bootstrapper. This is a backup application for nandroid unless Im (likely) confused. I have already ran it and done a successful backup. I just downloaded the titanium backup as ive seen it mentioned elsewhere. Im not overly concerned with my apps, as this is yet another new phone that mainly only has my contacts and etc. that comes from verizon / moto. Im reading through as much as i can to try to piece together the first few steps one needs to take to obtain and download, then install, whatever ROM one decides to try. Ill post in the appropriate section if i have any further questions :)

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have been on ZombieStomped and Apex, as well as all the Gingerbread leaks. For speed and stability, Apex can't be beat.

I just downloaded Liberty, so I'll try that when I get off vacation.

sent from my ApeX

OP
Zalan

Zalan

Reaction score
Ya, I got my GB loaded and went with the latest liberty ROM. Seems pretty cool so far. Thankgod for all you who help code or test or instruct others on how to use, these roms. Im officially hooked. You'll see me around alot more now that addiction has set in :D.

Sent from my DROID2 Liberty using DroidForums

superpopmonk

Reaction score
Cm7 is pretty stellar... I was on liberty but decided to see what else was out there and so far I'm loving the experience cm7 offers

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums