Here Is What The "X" and "P" In Nexus 5X and 6P Stand For!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Today the Nexus team did an AMA on reddit. They tackled some difficult questions like "Why not include OIS?", and "Why No Qi Charging", but one of the most interesting answers was to the question "what does the X and P stand for?". As it turns out Hiroshi Lockheimer gives a pretty reasonable explanation. The X is in reference to the core of the neXus brand, and also just straight up sounded cool. The P simply stands for premium.

via Reddit

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Simple and gets the point across. Although I would think both would technically be premium devices....

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
That's not the most interesting question.

I want to know:
WHY NO QI?!?!?!

*found
Thanks for being a Nexus fan! We added Qi wireless charging starting with N4 because plugging in USB micro B was such a hassle! (Which way is up!?) With this year’s Nexii, we support USB Type-C which has a reversible connector so there’s no more guessing. AND it charges incredibly swiftly: 1% to 100% in 97 mins on the 6P for example (the first ~45 mins of charging is especially fast). Meanwhile, wireless charging adds z (thickness). So, ease of plugging in + fast charging + optimizing for thinness made us double down on Type-C instead of wireless!

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Mine would of been: Why not make 32GB standard?

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail

I want to know:
WHY NO QI?!?!?!

*found
Thanks for being a Nexus fan! We added Qi wireless charging starting with N4 because plugging in USB micro B was such a hassle! (Which way is up!?) With this year’s Nexii, we support USB Type-C which has a reversible connector so there’s no more guessing. AND it charges incredibly swiftly: 1% to 100% in 97 mins on the 6P for example (the first ~45 mins of charging is especially fast). Meanwhile, wireless charging adds z (thickness). So, ease of plugging in + fast charging + optimizing for thinness made us double down on Type-C instead of wireless!

I have an S6, which has wireless charging. It's a very cool and innovative feature for smartphones and electronics in general, I concede. However, I did buy a wireless charger to check out all the hype. I never use it. Mostly because I spend a lot of time on my phone while I am lying in bed, so I like to charge it while doing so, which COULD be done with the wireless charger, but it'd be very awkward pressing the wireless charger to the back of the phone whilst holding it in your hands. :p

I guess I personally don't see how the lack of wireless charging is a huge deal, but, I can also see why people appreciate the feature as well.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I have an S6, which has wireless charging. It's a very cool and innovative feature for smartphones and electronics in general, I concede. However, I did buy a wireless charger to check out all the hype. I never use it. Mostly because I spend a lot of time on my phone while I am lying in bed, so I like to charge it while doing so, which COULD be done with the wireless charger, but it'd be very awkward pressing the wireless charger to the back of the phone whilst holding it in your hands. :p

I guess I personally don't see how the lack of wireless charging is a huge deal, but, I can also see why people appreciate the feature as well.
I have used wireless charging for almost 2 years. I like that I can put my phone in the exact same spot every time and it gets charged. It's also nice not having to do anything, just drop it and pick it back up without unplugging anything. BUT...it's not a deal breaker for me. If I can get 6 to 8 hours from a 15 minute quick charge I don't see the need for Qi charging. If I know I'm not going to be near a charger for a while, put it on the quicker charger for a little bit and then don't worry.

boidsonly

Reaction score
"what does the X and P stand for?"
That's more important than Qi charging? I must have my priorities out of order....
It sounds like they cut corners to maximize profit. I think I'll stick with the current N6-I don't see anything that I have to have that requires paying full price again.

Gremlin

Reaction score
If this device charges faster than Qi, what is the point of having Qi? Just to place a device ona mat to charge instead of plugging it in??

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
"what does the X and P stand for?"
That's more important than Qi charging? I must have my priorities out of order....
It sounds like they cut corners to maximize profit. I think I'll stick with the current N6-I don't see anything that I have to have that requires paying full price again.
Maybe you missed it but that question was asked as well. This is what happens when you have an open forum for questions. Please ask anything that pops into their heads. I'm surprised we didn't see anything about what they ate for breakfast.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2

I want to know:
WHY NO QI?!?!?!

*found
Yeah but the problem is the cord and the port break down. With wireless charging you can preserve them a little better. Can't tell you how many cords and repairs I had to do on previous phones. I haven't had to do that on the N6 because I don't use the cord that often unless I need a charge quickly.

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Yeah but the problem is the cord and the port break down. With wireless charging you can preserve them a little better. Can't tell you how many cords and repairs I had to do on previous phones. I haven't had to do that on the N6 because I don't use the cord that often unless I need a charge quickly.

That's a very good point, I hadn't thought of that myself. Luckily I have never had any issues with the charging ports on my devices that I can recall.

Another issue I tend to find with using wireless charging is that, since my phone rests on my night stand next to my bed, I have overthrown my blanket, a pillow, maybe my hand/arm while sleeping and knocked my phone off of the wireless charging dock. While the feature is cool, it is not as reliable as a hardwire, for me anyways. Similar to how people prefer to have their devices hardwired to their router rather than using wireless, I guess.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Ugh, I've never woken up with my blanket or pillow over my phone. On the QI or plugged in. Move the nightstand a little farther. ;D

How anyone can be anti Wireless Charging is beyond me. ;)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm not against wireless charging, but until I buy a device that supports it AND comes with the charger, I'm not adopting it.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Meh. I don't want them to include the base charger. For a few reasons.
A) It will never be the one I want. I like the kind that hold the phone up like a clock...what happens when Moto or LG include the puck type? *Sigh I don't want that. Hate that kind. But they will because they are usually cheaper. And easier to package.
Now I'd have to buy the kind I want. Now I have 2....
B) Just like including the power adapter I now have 12 adapters. I don't want 12 adapters. Hell, I'm throwing cables right in the trash now. In 10 years between my wife and I? We'd have 10 damn QI chargers. :D
I'd rather just buy one or two of the kind I like ($35.00 isn't alot) and be good for a few years.

Tap'n Turbo

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Meh. I don't want them to include the base charger. For a few reasons.
A) It will never be the one I want. I like the kind that hold the phone up like a clock...what happens when Moto or LG include the puck type? *Sigh I don't want that. Hate that kind. But they will because they are usually cheaper. And easier to package.
Now I'd have to buy the kind I want. Now I have 2....
B) Just like including the power adapter I now have 12 adapters. I don't want 12 adapters. Hell, I'm throwing cables right in the trash now. In 10 years between my wife and I? We'd have 10 damn QI chargers. :D
I'd rather just buy one or two of the kind I like ($35.00 isn't alot) and be good for a few years.

Tap'n Turbo
Yeah I hate the puck type too. Positioning if ridiculous. Of course wireless charging saved my n7 from a $200 repair bill so I went with a cheap option.

Last edited: