Huawei Officially Announces the Honor 5X; A Solid Budget Friendly Phone for $199

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
honor-5x-silver.jpg

Huawei has been kicking some serious "arse" in China. They have risen to become one of the premier competitors in Asian and other international markets. Of course, here in the US they are famous for their excellent Nexus 6P Google branded device. Today they took the wraps off their first real entrant into the US market that is their own specifically branded device.

It's actually a budget-friendly (almost mid-ranger), that can already be pre-ordered at Amazon or Newegg completely unlocked for just $199.99. The phone is called the Honor 5X and here are its specs:
  • 5.5-inch screen with a 1080p resolution and 401 ppi
  • 64-bit Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 615
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 16GB of internal storage with microSD slot
  • 13MP rear camera
  • 5MP front camera
  • 3,000mAh battery
  • Fingerprint Scanner
  • Android 5.1 Lollipop
  • Dark Grey, Silver & Gold colors
What really makes this device stand out at this price is its premium looks. As you can see from the image above, it has a metallic body that belies the moderate internal specs inside. This device is what Huawei is calling a “no nonsense” approach to budget smartphones. It looks like maybe they nailed that perspective.

Be sure to check out our brand new dedicated section for the Huawei Honor 5X (to go along with our dedicated Huawei category): Huawei Honor 5X | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Here's the link to Amazon and/or Newegg for those interested in grabbing one:

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Looks like a nice device for the price. I haven't heard the greatest things about their UI skin. Not sure if it has a name.

Also, you'd think any phone they released after the 6P would come with Marshmallow, since they worked so closely with Google on that device with that Android version.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
What a beautiful piece of hardware. All I can say is Wow! wei ;)

I wonder who the first manufacture will be that figures out releasing the newest hardware with the latest OS has got nothing but win written all over it (outside of Nexus devices)

Releasing new hardware with an "outdated" OS is so 2015, '14, '13, '12...

Heck if it means delaying the release of the device by a few weeks so be it. Release new handsets with the current OS already. Enough with "will be upgraded to..." nonsense.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It is a good looking device..plenty of battery...but wish it had another gig of ram..but I bet there will be a ton of happy users ..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Decent specs for the price! I imagine it'll get some pretty killer battery life too having a 1080p screen. Well done Huawei!

S5 tap'n