help with wifi tethering and xbl

Kenstripe

Reaction score
sorry if this is in the wrong place but, heres my issue (I am currently running a bbv1 rom at bekit 1ghz thanks pete), when using wifi tether on my laptop I clocked my phone at a good 1000kbs now when sharing that connection with say an xbox, it some how drops down and I end up lagging. In short I need to find a way to keep data streaming high say I don't lag. Any help is greatly appreciated, and I can help others with problems.

MoparFinch

Reaction score
Sorry, not going to happen.

Verizon 3G provides plenty of bandwidth, which is good for those large downloads and files.

However, gaming (such as xbox live), requires low-latency rather than a ton of bandwidth. If you're really lucky and get good enough signal, you might be able to play and not lag too much. But given how 3G signals travel and degrade (especially through objects like buildings), you're pretty much S.O.L. in terms of trying to fix the lag.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
look out, the "you're ruining it for others by tethering, against T.O.S, $18K bills" gernade is incoming

Sayersj629

Reaction score
Using your phone to tether and play XBOX live is an abuse of the ability to tether, whether verizon finds out or not. And I'm guessing you may not get much help resolving this.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
look out, the "you're ruining it for others by tethering, against T.O.S, $18K bills" gernade is incoming

Congrats, yet another meaningless post brought to you by mcatdtDroid.

OP, like it was stated earlier, cell networks have good throughput, but poor latency, the latter being what you need for good gaming. You're likely SOL.

And yes, tethering is breaking the rules, whether people want to admit it or not. Are you likely to get caught, probably not right now, but you need to be aware of your actions and it's potential consequences.

OP
K

Kenstripe

Reaction score
well thanks anyway just happens to be that my house is in a very rural area and that it is hard to find a less expensive option for internet, yes satellite is an option but it is very unreliable.

movadoevo8

Reaction score
sorry if this is in the wrong place but, heres my issue (I am currently running a bbv1 rom at bekit 1ghz thanks pete), when using wifi tether on my laptop I clocked my phone at a good 1000kbs now when sharing that connection with say an xbox, it some how drops down and I end up lagging. In short I need to find a way to keep data streaming high say I don't lag. Any help is greatly appreciated, and I can help others with problems.

Hey I've tried WiFi Tether and to me it's not as fast as PDANET via USB connection. I went on vacation and i was able to play Call of Duty MW2 on my laptop via PDANET via USB with no lag 100% perfect just as if i was on my home WiFi.