Help with new phone selection

wildman

Reaction score
I could use some help deciding on a new phone. I've got the Origonal Droid, which is showing it's age. I need a phone with a good radio, live and travel in rural areas. I was looking at the Rezound, but it seems like developers are moving away from it and it might not be supported for the next 2 years (length of contract). I want a replaceable battery wihch leaves out the Razr & Maxx, and would like a replaceable memory card. The Nexus seems to be the best supported, but I hear a lot about the poor reception and bad camera. Is there any new phone that I should consider. I even thought of holding out for a quad core, as they might be better for battery life if my droid keeps on working. I like to root and try different ROMs. Anyone got good suggestions?

Red Droid

Reaction score
So far, I really like my Bionic. I got it in January and its been a solid phone.

loki993

Reaction score
Where did you hear that support was going away for the Rezound? Its brand new

Samsung Galaxy S III the best phone, superb

Really? we have no way of knowing its superb since it doesn't even exist yet, nor do we know when its being released, if ever, on Verizon.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Have you had any hands on time with any other phone? I recommend you go check them out in the store and decide for yourself. Any of the phones now will have no problem lasting 2yrs if not longer.

As for quadcore phones, all I can say is ICS is optimized for dual core so the hardware would be ahead of the software. No one knows when the next android os will be released either. If you think quad core is worth waiting for then by all means wait. I'm happy with my Nexus and knowing it will last me 2yrs and probably longer while still being able to run against the newer phones coming out

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

loki993

Reaction score
Have you had any hands on time with any other phone? I recommend you go check them out in the store and decide for yourself. Any of the phones now will have no problem lasting 2yrs if not longer.

As for quadcore phones, all I can say is ICS is optimized for dual core so the hardware would be ahead of the software. No one knows when the next android os will be released either. If you think quad core is worth waiting for then by all means wait. I'm happy with my Nexus and knowing it will last me 2yrs and probably longer while still being able to run against the newer phones coming out

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

As much is I would want a quad core phone and will probably get one when they come out, in all honestly, what do we really need one for anyway? These are phones, dual cores probably plenty fast enough for whatever we could throw at them. I wouldn't get too caught up on it. Plus knowing Verizon what are the odds were going to get a quad core before the end of the year anyway? Lets just say Im not holding my breath

I just got a Rezound, haven't gotten it yet though. I went on and looked at them all and the Rezound felt the best to me. It comes with a decent pair of headphones, supposedly has a really nice screen, a good radio and a nice camera. Its also fairly tweakable. Yes the Nexus is more tweakable, but the Nexus is also a hundred dollars more. For the price I got I couldn't pass on the Rezound.

I tried to talk myself into the Nexus because of the extreme customizability and potential resale value, but I couldn't get over the possible signal issues it may have and some of the other major gripes about the phone. Also I wasnt happy with the phone when it was announced as I didn't feel like the hardware was on par with what the phone was supposed to be, it should have been tops in everything and it was just par for the course.

The Razr is a nice phone but for me its a little too wide and too thin. A case makes it feel good in the hand, but its still too wide. Also its probably is, or at least will be, the least customizable of them all. Even still though there are and will be good ROMS for it, just not as many. I wouldn't let the non removable battery thing bother you too much, its not gonna go bad and even if it does by that time youll be needing a new phone anyway.

I do like the Maxx, the bigger battery gives it the heft and size that makes it feel good in the hand, but I think its too expensive for what you get, which is only an extended battery and a case for a hundred extra dollars? Yeah no thanks.

mursal143

Reaction score
I can say is ICS is optimized for dual core so the hardware would be ahead of the software. No one knows when the next android os will be released either. If you think quad core is worth waiting for then by all means wait. its not gonna go bad and even if it does by that time youll be needing a new phone anyway.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
As much is I would want a quad core phone and will probably get one when they come out, in all honestly, what do we really need one for anyway? These are phones, dual cores probably plenty fast enough for whatever we could throw at them. I wouldn't get too caught up on it. Plus knowing Verizon what are the odds were going to get a quad core before the end of the year anyway? Lets just say Im not holding my breath
Quadcore to me is a bit too much. The fact is the software hasn't been allowed time to catch up to the advances in hardware. Considering how much our phones are similar to our computers now, I see this problem continuing into the future. Hardware has taken leaps in terms of advances and software is lagging a bit behind. We've had dualcore for quite awhile, but now just getting software, ICS, that hasn't even made it across all current Android phones. I'm all for looking forward, but the industry really needs to slow down in terms of hardware, the hardware has so much potential but I find won't live up to it as the software is lacking. ICS is optimized for dualcore, I don't think 2 extra cores would have any huge benefits, though you could say battery life would be the main advantage and some smoother processing.

I'm more than happy with my Nexus and I'm sure it'll even be able to handle the next version of Android, Jelly Bean or whatever it may be. The hardware in this phone will be able to compete with upcoming phones and the phones we'll see within the standard 2yr contract. All this talk about quadcore has no effect on my choice of the Nexus and won't for awhile until I am able to see what the next version of Android offers and whether it takes advantage of all the power of quadcore or not.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I can say is ICS is optimized for dual core so the hardware would be ahead of the software. No one knows when the next android os will be released either. If you think quad core is worth waiting for then by all means wait. its not gonna go bad and even if it does by that time youll be needing a new phone anyway.

Why you copying my post? PLAGIARISM! :p

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If signal is an issue, I'd stick with a 3G-only phone. But if you have to have an LTE phone, go with the Rezound, since it can be switched to "normal" 3G in those remote areas.