Help with Clean tool script

terryfied

Reaction score
Please help

1. Tried to temp root my Rezound using the guide at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ht...-your-htc-rezound-temp-root-windows-only.html, which failed - Titanium Backup could not get root access.
2. Decided to just wait for perm root to come out.
3. Last night, discovered and ran the Rezound Clean Tool located at [TOOL] - CleanTOOL 2.1.1 - 12/12 - The Relentless Pursuit of Clean! - xda-developers and it did not seem to clean anything; after running the tool, I could still see the "disabled" bloatware in my app drawer (not sure if it was supposed to disappear or not) and I was still unable to run Titanium Backup.
4. Used the Clean Tool to remove Sense UI (after setting LauncherPro as my default launcher, of course) - everything seemed okay.
5. Hoping for something to work, I decided to try the "better" temp root tool for Rezound located at [Temp Root] Better Temp Root- Confirmed to Last Much Longer - xda-developers - Titanium Backup still unable to get root access.
6. Decided again to wait until perm root comes out. My phone ran fine for the rest of last night and all day today.
7. Decided to reboot my phone before I went to bed; phone now boots to lock screen and regardless of what I do, whether just let it sit at lock screen or unlock and view Homescreen, after about 15 seconds, the phone becomes completely unresponsive for about 10 seconds and then reboots again and the process starts all over. Battery pull does not resolve the issue, and phone has been allowed to reboot about 30 times.

So, it looks like I am going to be up all night tonight as I can't sleep until this is resolved. Could anyone please possibly help?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
1. Tried to temp root my Rezound using the guide at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ht...-your-htc-rezound-temp-root-windows-only.html, which failed - Titanium Backup could not get root access.
2. Decided to just wait for perm root to come out.
3. Last night, discovered and ran the Rezound Clean Tool located at [TOOL] - CleanTOOL 2.1.1 - 12/12 - The Relentless Pursuit of Clean! - xda-developers and it did not seem to clean anything; after running the tool, I could still see the "disabled" bloatware in my app drawer (not sure if it was supposed to disappear or not) and I was still unable to run Titanium Backup.
4. Used the Clean Tool to remove Sense UI (after setting LauncherPro as my default launcher, of course) - everything seemed okay.
5. Hoping for something to work, I decided to try the "better" temp root tool for Rezound located at [Temp Root] Better Temp Root- Confirmed to Last Much Longer - xda-developers - Titanium Backup still unable to get root access.
6. Decided again to wait until perm root comes out. My phone ran fine for the rest of last night and all day today.
7. Decided to reboot my phone before I went to bed; phone now boots to lock screen and regardless of what I do, whether just let it sit at lock screen or unlock and view Homescreen, after about 15 seconds, the phone becomes completely unresponsive for about 10 seconds and then reboots again and the process starts all over. Battery pull does not resolve the issue, and phone has been allowed to reboot about 30 times.

So, it looks like I am going to be up all night tonight as I can't sleep until this is resolved. Could anyone please possibly help?

Sounds like something went severely wrong. Factory reset your phone might be the only good option. Power down the phone, hold power & vol down, choose factory reset, start over and hopefully whatever happened doesn't happen again.

mjones73

Reaction score
So if I have perm root on my phone, this should just work then right?

mjones73

Reaction score
If you have perm root there are better options available but yes this will still work.

I would assume you mean different roms, I want to play with stock for a couple days before I start rom installs. :)

If it's something else, please let me know.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I would assume you mean different roms, I want to play with stock for a couple days before I start rom installs. :)

If it's something else, please let me know.

I mean if you want to "clean" your bloatware, there are better methods available. This one was mainly meant for temp-root so we could hide bloat.

esheesle

Reaction score
Care to share? I haven't really seen any posts about automated bloatware removal for perm root. All I have seen is people saying use titanium to freeze it, which is great but very manual.

mjones73

Reaction score
I know you can also just delete/rename the packages in /system/app, still it's a manual process. I guess it could be scripted to use adb to do it much like this script does though.

pappy53

Reaction score
Just ran Cleantool 2.1.1 after installing VZW update. Tried to remove all bloat. It shows "superuser" now, but the bloat is still there. Any suggestions?
USB debugging checked
HTC Sync disabled
Charge mode
Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just ran Cleantool 2.1.1 after installing VZW update. Tried to remove all bloat. It shows "superuser" now, but the bloat is still there. Any suggestions?
USB debugging checked
HTC Sync disabled
Charge mode
Did I miss anything?

Just answered you on AF but I'll do it here too. The update may have broken temp-root. It's still unconfirmed but that is more than likely the cause of your woes(unless you didn't temp root first)

jrredho

Reaction score
Hey All,

I just bought a Rezound, and I did the permanent root thing using the unlock-amonra-su process. Afterwards, I found this very nice un*x-style shell script (thx Mr Smith), and used it to debloat without doing the temproot step first.

I'd also like to install the hosts file, block, that comes in the cleantool zip file to end run ad site host requests, but I get an error from android saying that the partition, /system/etc, is mounted read-only. I see some stuff in the temproot shell function that looks like there's a remount/mount thing for /system/xbin, which I don't entirely understand since that's a directory and not a mount point, that may be handling the re-mount in read-write mode since both xbin and etc are directories under /system.

My question(s): Is that correct? If so, which specific commands can I just strip out of the temproot function and execute one-by-one to make /system temporarily read-write?

Thanks in advance,
john

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I just bought a Rezound, and I did the permanent root thing using the unlock-amonra-su process. Afterwards, I found this very nice un*x-style shell script (thx Mr Smith), and used it to debloat without doing the temproot step first.

I'd also like to install the hosts file, block, that comes in the cleantool zip file to end run ad site host requests, but I get an error from android saying that the partition, /system/etc, is mounted read-only. I see some stuff in the temproot shell function that looks like there's a remount/mount thing for /system/xbin, which I don't entirely understand since that's a directory and not a mount point, that may be handling the re-mount in read-write mode since both xbin and etc are directories under /system.

My question(s): Is that correct? If so, which specific commands can I just strip out of the temproot function and execute one-by-one to make /system temporarily read-write?

Thanks in advance,
john

To make /system read/write, you can do any of the following:
Windows/Linux command prompt "adb remount"
Terminal emulator on the phone "busybox mount -o remount,rw /system"
Root Explorer click the "mount r/w" box in the top right

To make /system read only again:
Terminal emulator on the phone "busybox mount -o remount,ro /system"
Root Explorer click the "mount r/o" box in the top right
or simply reboot.

jrredho

Reaction score
To make /system read/write, you can do any of the following:
Terminal emulator on the phone "busybox mount -o remount,rw /system"
Root Explorer click the "mount r/w" box in the top right

To make /system read only again:
Terminal emulator on the phone "busybox mount -o remount,ro /system"
Root Explorer click the "mount r/o" box in the top right
or simply reboot.

Hey Smith,

Thanks for your prompt reply!

A couple of things: First, since I'm permanently rooted and not running android in the context of the zergrush executable, I have to do everything that requires root permission in the context of su on the phone. This means that none of these commands will work just via adb; I get a "no permissions" failure.

When I went back to square one, I learned that the disables I'd run hadn't actually worked; it was for exactly the same reason.

Finally, I learned that the mount options can only be space delimited, which means that the mount commands you gave me don't work; you have to give them without such as: 'busybox mount -o remount rw /system'

So, I re-wrote the bloat-related shell functions to do the adb shell as a shell 'here document', and here is an example of what you have to do when you bypass the temproot step; again, this assumes that are permanently rooted on the phone:

UMOST() {
clear
echo CleanTOOL 2.1.1 For the HTC Rezound by Scott \(scrosler\)
echo Scott's ROMS - Home
echo
echo
echo
echo
echo Cleaning all but Social Networking!
echo Please be patient as this may take a moment...
sudo ./adb shell <<EOF
su
pm disable com.adobe.reader
pm disable com.amazon.kindle
pm disable com.android.protips
pm disable com.android.providers.htcCheckin
pm disable com.blockbuster.app.htc
pm disable com.ea.nfshp
pm disable com.gameloft.android.Verizon.GloftLGolf2.lgolf2
pm disable com.google.android.apps.books
pm disable com.htc.android.htcsetupwizard
pm disable com.htc.android.quicklookup
pm disable com.htc.appsharing
pm disable com.htc.feedback
pm disable com.htc.reportagent
pm disable com.htc.task
pm disable com.htc.Task3DWidget
pm disable com.htc.usagemonitor
pm disable com.htc.VzWBackupAssistantClient
pm disable com.infraware.docmaster
pm disable com.mobitv.client.nfl2010
pm disable com.mtag.scan
pm disable com.pv.android.verizon.avod
pm disable com.pv.android.verizon.mod
pm disable com.sdgtl.watch
pm disable com.slacker.radio
pm disable com.videosurf.activity
pm disable com.vznavigator.ADR6425LVW
pm disable com.vzw.hss.myverizon
pm disable com.westtek.jcp
pm disable com.westtek.jcpResources
exit
exit
EOF
echo
echo You are now Clean!
echo
echo You should reboot phone now!
read -p "Press Enter to Continue..."
}

I had to do similar gymnastics for the hosts-related files. Here's an example of the 'block' copy:

ADBLOCK() {
clear
echo Scott's ROMS - Home
echo
echo
echo
echo
echo Installing Ad-Blocking Host File
# Cannot use "adb push" since we have to copy
# in the context of root.
# Need to figure out a universal place to push
# file 'block' to (I'll assume it's /mnt/sdcard);
# remount /system read-write;
# mv doesn't work across file systems, so use cat
# to replace /system/etc/hosts with it;
# then, finally, remount /system read-only.
sudo ./adb push block /mnt/sdcard/block
./adb shell <<EOF
su
mount -o remount rw /system
cat /system/etc/hosts > /system/etc/hosts.orig
rm /system/etc/hosts
cat /mnt/sdcard/block > /system/etc/hosts
rm /mnt/sdcard/block
mount -o remount ro /system
exit
exit
EOF
read -p "Press Enter to continue..."
}

In the above examples, the two exits are for the su and adb shell.

Of course, there's still a complication. :) When I debloat most and do a hard reboot, I get stuck in a boot loop. So if you have any wisdom to impart on that little matter, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks again for the great shell script...

cheers,
john

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey Smith,

Thanks for your prompt reply!

A couple of things: First, since I'm permanently rooted and not running android in the context of the zergrush executable, I have to do everything that requires root permission in the context of su on the phone. This means that none of these commands will work just via adb; I get a "no permissions" failure.

When I went back to square one, I learned that the disables I'd run hadn't actually worked; it was for exactly the same reason.

Finally, I learned that the mount options can only be space delimited, which means that the mount commands you gave me don't work; you have to give them without such as: 'busybox mount -o remount rw /system'

So, I re-wrote the bloat-related shell functions to do the adb shell as a shell 'here document', and here is an example of what you have to do when you bypass the temproot step; again, this assumes that are permanently rooted on the phone:

UMOST() {
clear
echo Scott's ROMS - Home
echo
echo
echo
echo
echo Cleaning all but Social Networking!
echo Please be patient as this may take a moment...
sudo ./adb shell <<EOF
su
pm disable com.adobe.reader
pm disable com.amazon.kindle
pm disable com.android.protips
pm disable com.android.providers.htcCheckin
pm disable com.blockbuster.app.htc
pm disable com.ea.nfshp
pm disable com.gameloft.android.Verizon.GloftLGolf2.lgolf2
pm disable com.google.android.apps.books
pm disable com.htc.android.htcsetupwizard
pm disable com.htc.android.quicklookup
pm disable com.htc.appsharing
pm disable com.htc.feedback
pm disable com.htc.reportagent
pm disable com.htc.task
pm disable com.htc.Task3DWidget
pm disable com.htc.usagemonitor
pm disable com.htc.VzWBackupAssistantClient
pm disable com.infraware.docmaster
pm disable com.mobitv.client.nfl2010
pm disable com.mtag.scan
pm disable com.pv.android.verizon.avod
pm disable com.pv.android.verizon.mod
pm disable com.sdgtl.watch
pm disable com.slacker.radio
pm disable com.videosurf.activity
pm disable com.vznavigator.ADR6425LVW
pm disable com.vzw.hss.myverizon
pm disable com.westtek.jcp
pm disable com.westtek.jcpResources
exit
exit
EOF
echo
echo You are now Clean!
echo
echo You should reboot phone now!
read -p "Press Enter to Continue..."
}

I had to do similar gymnastics for the hosts-related files. Here's an example of the 'block' copy:

ADBLOCK() {
clear
echo Scott's ROMS - Home
echo
echo
echo
echo
echo Installing Ad-Blocking Host File
# Cannot use "adb push" since we have to copy
# in the context of root.
# Need to figure out a universal place to push
# file 'block' to (I'll assume it's /mnt/sdcard);
# remount /system read-write;
# mv doesn't work across file systems, so use cat
# to replace /system/etc/hosts with it;
# then, finally, remount /system read-only.
sudo ./adb push block /mnt/sdcard/block
./adb shell <<EOF
su
mount -o remount rw /system
cat /system/etc/hosts > /system/etc/hosts.orig
rm /system/etc/hosts
cat /mnt/sdcard/block > /system/etc/block
rm /mnt/sdcard/block
mount -o remount ro /system
exit
exit
EOF
read -p "Press Enter to continue..."
}

In the above examples, the two exits are for the su and adb shell.

Of course, there's still a complication. :) When I debloat most and do a hard reboot, I get stuck in a boot loop. So if you have any wisdom to impart on that little matter, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks again for the great shell script...

cheers,
john

Sorry I forgot that if you're rooted using the Amon-Ra method you probably don't have busybox installed. It helps a lot with scripting. I don't know what's causing your boot loop. How have you gotten around it? Try moving the bloat instead of disabling it. What I did at first was create a bloat/backup directory, then move all the "bloat" to that backup directory. If it's the standard network bootloop, have you tried the bootloop fix?