Help! What entertainment system to get?

grimloktt

Reaction score
Can someone point me in the right direction. I've had my old set-up for about 10 years and am buying new stuff.

I'm looking for HDTV...probably LCD or LED ~$900, ~46".

I'm looking for Blu-Ray player and surround sound. I'm not sure if I should go with a home theater Blu-Ray ready set-up or a reciever and blu-ray player in addition (maybe a regular blu-ray player or maybe a PS3...which I likely wouldn't play much of...but if it makes sense).
- What would be ideal is to have a Wi-Fi enabled set-up. However, we have a Wii for the kids and I understand that can do Wi-Fi (Netflix).
- I'd really like wireless speakers.
- I'm not a huge sound buff. So, as long as it doesn't sound terrible I probalby wouldn't know the difference.
- I don't want any tall speakers.
- Cost maybe between $500-$1000...at most.

Thoughts?

pyro6128

Reaction score
I would get a ps3. For one, the blue ray player that comes in the ps3 is one of the better blue ray players on the market. Its also the best video game system. On top of that though, you can store movies,video, music, and pics on the ps3 and view it on your tv. It also has full wired/wifi internet access which is good for regular surfing, netflix or just finding movies in the web browser and watching them. The internet on the ps3 is much better than the wii (I have both). I think its just an all around good centerpiece for an entertainment system. It really does a lot, and the price has dropped recently.

Asterisk

Reaction score
Well you won't find a 46" LED tv for under $1000 unless you want to bid for one on ebay but I don't even think they go for less on there. If you are not going to play the PS3 there really isn't a point in buying one so just get a blu-ray player.
I'm not too knowledgeable on surround sound systems but I do know that a wireless one has some lag.
As for the WiFi set up you can get something to make that happen just not sure what.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying I'm no expert.....:)

Yea, the concept of wireless speakers sound nice, but I wouldnt do that either. Wireless speakers are more convenient tho for it having no wires. Imma show u the setup I got from Amazon couple of years ago....While I'm getting this together, I recommend Amazon, Newegg or Tigerdirect for good prices on HDTV's.

Looking at your price range, I would suggest a home theatre all in one package.

This is some of my invoice from 2008: I woulda added links but some of thes items are no longer available.

These were 2008 prices, they should be cheaper now. And this is a setup where everything was separate, no all in one.

1 of: Nintendo Wii Component Av Game Cable
Sold by: BargainCell (seller profile)
$3.09
If u dont have component cables for the Wii, grab some. U can tell the difference when using an HDTV and u use anything less than component cables for game systems, cable boxes, etc.

1 of: Subwoofer Cable 13 ft.
Sold by: Parts Express (seller profile)
$1.88
Cable for the subwoofer....:)

6 of: HDTrinity 1m (3.3ft) Gold Series Premium HDMI Cable 1.3b Category 2 Certified 10.2Gbps
Sold by: HDTrinity (seller profile)
$6.99

1 of: HDTrinity 2m (6.5ft) Gold Series Premium HDMI Cable 1.3b Category 2 Certified 10.2Gbps
Sold by: HDTrinity (seller profile)
$9.99
I tried to be extra smart with the lengths for the HDMI, and wound up needing longer ones. Get 6ft or longer.

1 of: Samsung LN46A550 46-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV
Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC
$1,439.04
I included this but thats not the price for 2010. U can find a 46 inch LCD for right at or under $900. LED's....I'm not sold on them yet, something about Local Dimming vs. Edge Lit; I need to research it more.

1 of: Pyramid RSW1250 50' Foot 12 Gauge Insulated Speaker Wire
Sold by: Etronics (seller profile)
$13.45
If using wired speakers, the gauge is important. The lower the better.

1 of: Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System (Set of Six, Black)
Sold by: WholeSaleAV (seller profile)
$228.23
Now, these speakers dont have any tall ones. The rear ones would need to be either on a stand or mounted to the wall. Again, these prices are from 2008. The tallest speaker is gonna be the subwoofer. I dont think u can find a small one, not sure.

2 of: 3ft Premium Gold Series Component Video (RGB) Cable
Sold by: Abacus24-7 (seller profile)
$6.97

1 of: Fiber Optical Toslink Digital Audio Optic Interface 6 Foot Cable
Sold by: Abacus24-7 (seller profile)
$1.38
**I grabbed the fiber optical for the PS3, but I had to use it for something else.....***

1 of: ONKYO TX-SR606 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver - Silver
Sold by: 6ave (seller profile)

$379.86
**This reciever has HDMI connections to make it easier and cleaner for installation, and to have the best connection possible....***

I starred 2 items cuz....I had everything connected to the reciever by HDMI. I thought having a receiver with HDMI was the best thing. It wasnt. After a year, the HDMI started tripping out on the reciever. I kept getting "Searching for Signal" messages on the TV when going from a standard to a HD source. It was doing this before but not as bad.

For sounds to come thru my reciever, I grabbed the fiber optical cable and use that for sound for the cable box-to-reciever, and some regular audio cables for the game systems connected to the TV. I use the HDMI for picture only.

Last edited:
OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score
Thnx all. Keep the input coming!

I don't mind getting a led for cheaper price. I understand they're fairly comparable.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I edited my post above, more edits will probably follow. Looking at the prices from 2008, u dont have to get an all in one home theatre package and can still come out under or right at $1000.

And as u can see mine doesnt include a Blu Ray player. U could use the PS3, I do, I dont know.....

Last edited:

pyro6128

Reaction score
Thats gonna be a nice setup. When you get it all hooked up you should post a picture on here or something. I'd like to see how it turned out

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
newegg.com is a good choice. I do all my PC components shopping from there, and I use them to get detailed specs for things. At the time I got my setup everything was cheaper at Amazon, and/or Amazon had stuff newegg didnt.

Newegg CS is great. Most items ship before the scheduled date.

When getting HDMI cables, dont get fooled into thinking u need $50 cables, cuz u dont. Not even $20 cables. U can find good ones anywhere between $3 to $10.

Last edited:
OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score
When getting HDMI cables, dont get fooled into thinking u need $50 cables, cuz u dont. Not even $20 cables. U can find good ones anywhere between $3 to $10.

Thnx! They offered 6' HDMI cable for $20 off with the set-up. So, I got it. End cost: $5. he he he I think I'll likely need one more for the PS3. I'm guessing one won't come with it?

OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score
No discredit to the answers you have been given, but you may want to poke around AVS Forum.

Thnx. Initially, that was the feedback I was looking for. Where to go, like this forum, to get stereo specific info. But, I certainly appreciate everyone's inputs.

I've bought numerous things from Newegg and was just looking for solid products at a good price. I'm happy...:)

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea, AVS Forum is a great place for HDTV picture settings too. Very knowledgeable folks in there. Thats definitively a good place to hang out in.